Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer Discussions

Discussion in 'Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    How are all you Slovaks doing? Funny to think that all the pups who were on here 2 years ago are now big and there are new sets of youngsters out there. :grin:

Grey seems to be settling and calming down loads more now. He's over three years old now.

How are you coping with this season of sticky burrs in beards? :roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Flynn was nibbling those sticky burrs from the rest of his coat and they all got clogged in his beard! I did get them out with a comb but he hates it.
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hi Lou, all good here thanks.

Bo is generally getting better in most aspects. She is much calmer in the house now, bar the odd mad moment. Pulling on the lead is still work in progress -- sometimes she'll walk on a lovely loose lead, other times it is like holding back a raging bull (mainly if she sees a cat). She will still chase joggers if she has the opportunity, but provided I see them first and they don't spring out from behind a bush or corner, she is easy to get under control or distract. So, if I could remove all cats and joggers from the world, we would be all hunky dory.

Good to hear Grey is settling down a bit now. :)
  5. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Grey had loads in his beard last week and if I don't approach right he goes mad. So if I let him stand at the gate looking out for cats I can snip them out! :roll: I hate sticky burrs. :evil:

Labradork: Grey has a strong chase instinct too. But finally seem to have managed to work on an ok strategy to work around it. Our issue is cyclists. We have loads of cycle routes running near the open areas we walk in as coastal paths. A big chasing slovak might be quite a shock! Cats I just have to hang on tight and hope I see them first.
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Bo would most likely try it on with cyclists if she had the opportunity. :roll: Luckily we don't see many on the walks we do around here (many are inaccessible to bikes).
  7. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    It's been a challenge as we have loads of cyclists and they sneak up quietly. We do a 'ready' and 'wait' to the side and then an excitingly thrown sausage on the ground. The 'ready' I use just before throwing a dummy in the sea, so it's a special thing by now. But until 6 months ago he'd take off after them and I was a bit hair raising.
  8. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
  9. eskababe

eskababe New Member

Name:
    pixie
    Hiya Slovak peeps 8) Mishka Anya and their mate Slovak Maggie are and have all been fine and healthy with no health issues.
    For a relatively new breed to the UK and that it is still being developed in Slovakia which all takes time it seems to be healthy or as healthy as any other breed which have their own problems even though they might be/are much more established than the Slovak. If you know what I mean :?
    I wonder why people won't help the breed by properly reporting with veterinary evidence their claims of problems, it is important to be known for future breeding if infact these are validated.
    Anyway 3 Slovaks here all healthy and happy and hi to all the other grey babes out there xxx
  10. rossi

rossi New Member

Name:
    Rossi
    I just picked up my SRHP yesterday a 6-7 month old bitch that needed rehoming and she is so laid back its unreal no pulling what so ever on the lead just walks at my side unlike my GWP who is a nightmare and just bounds everywhere!
    Early days but could not be more happy! :)
  11. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Very early days! if you have only had her for a day her nose will be well out of joint which is why she is quiet.

They are just as bouncy and high energy as GWP's, as you'll see in a few weeks time when she is more settled. :)
  12. rossi

rossi New Member

Name:
    Rossi
    Yeah well thats what i was thinking too..lol Not much hair though very smooth and not much on the face is this something that comes later with the breed or are some just smooth??
  13. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    It depends on both the breeding and the individual. There can be such variation in coat types in Slovaks. But yes, generally speaking the coat will change with age.

This is Bo at roughly 7 months of age, the same as your girl:

[​IMG]

And a week ago at nearly 2 1/2:

[​IMG]

As you can see there is more hair on the face and the hair on the body is much thicker (but that isn't a great picture as she is wet!).
  14. rossi

rossi New Member

Name:
    Rossi
    Crikey a lot more hair than mine at 7 month but dont know if mine has been trimmed as ive only just got. My GWP is really hairy im for ever having to groom him!! Bo is Very cute though!
  15. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hi Slovak people!

How are all of you doing?

Lou
  16. RuthwithMoose

RuthwithMoose New Member

Name:
    Ruth
    Hello, I've just joined today!

We have Moose who is a little over 2 years old, we've had him since he was 4 months. He's a delight, of course. SO good natured.

I found this forum when I ran a google search... we're a bit concerned, Moose has been behaving wierdly for a couple of days - won't settle, keeps whining, barking and generally making more of the funny noises he is so good at. It's almost as though his whole body clock has shifted so he wants to go out at different times than his usual routine. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, and he's sleeping, eating and everything-elsing normally, but driving us nuts at the wrong time!

Anyone with any ideas what could be the problem?

It's so nice to 'find' other Slovaks out there!
  17. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hello Ruth!

Pleased to meet you! Is his whining about anything in particular you think? His movement is ok? Getting up from lying down and lying down from standing up? Walk, trot, canter ok? Is he managing stairs as usual? Is the whining to do with dawn and it getting light? My dog Grey cries as soon as it is light now to go in garden.
    What's his pedigree name, we might know some brothers and sisters for you.
    Piccie also!
  18. RuthwithMoose

RuthwithMoose New Member

Name:
    Ruth
    Hi, thanks for replying! Everything else is just fine, stairs, running, jumping up at the kitchen counter to steal whatever he can reach, chasing hopelessly after birds in fields, etc.

He does seem to have decided that he needs an evening walk which he doesn't usually have, and he thinks his long late morning walk should be starting straight after breakfast even though his early morning walk is just before breakfast - a routine he's had for at least the past year. It's just odd.

I'll upload a piccie soon. He's equally as handsome/beautiful as all his half-brothers and sisters and distant cousins whose pix I've seen on the forum today. Bless them all!
  19. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Then perhaps he's just grown up some more and has some more energy and wants to do more. They do change in needs as they get older. xx
  20. RuthwithMoose

RuthwithMoose New Member

Name:
    Ruth
    Mmmm. That's I think.hope (although his chosen new regime doesn't fit in too well with our current one!)

Next he'll be tapping us up for university fees.

Here he is, about a year ago:
    [​IMG]
  21. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    Hi she is lovely does she point crystalgirl