Spinone grooming Grooming

Discussion in 'Italian Spinone' started by Carolinea, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline

Spinone grooming

Hello all. I've had dogs for many years but now have my first Spinone. He's a fabulous dog, amazing temperament (my friend calls him canine Prozac, as you just have to smile when you see him), but he seems to be a magnet for dirt and dust. I realise that he should be hand-stripped, but after some advice from a groomer I've been Furminating him, which seems to do the trick.

However.... he still seems to get dirtier and dirtier.. and dont get me started on the beard!! Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts/tricks?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Cant help much from the Spinone aspect I'm afraid (although PICTURES PLEASE :)) but have you got one of those big orange dog towel things?

http://www.aquamatdogtowel.com/page2.html
    I have a wheaten coloured dog, and after every walk I rub her down with one of these. They are a million times better than a towel, and when they're damp they suck up all the water and dirt.
  4. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    I used to trim a spinone. He had never been handstripped and hated it so we compromised and I used to shave him once a year with a 5 blade. Must say he looked lovely.
    Know what you mean about prozac he was such a lazy dog lol.
  5. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    I'll post some pictures soon...

I was told by the breeder under no circumstances to let any clippers near him as it would ruin his coat. I don't think I'm going to show him, but I'm not going to risk it. He is a lovely boy, so happy, loves my German Shep, who you can almost see sighing when he (the Spin) does anything daft!
  6. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    My friend has a young spinone and whilst she gets very mucky - she is pretty self cleaning lol - as soon as all dries off - the muck is gone.

With regard to grooming I will ask my friend and also breeder friend.

How old is your boy? Did the breeder give you any grooming notes - perhaps another chat might help you I am sure they will welcome you contacting them for advice :)

What kennel name does he have?
  7. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    Well yes I know what you mean about the self-cleaning, he always looks pretty clean in the morning! The breeder was great, and I have had him part hand-stripped to get him used to it. He was really good, so really I should bite the bullet and have a go.. or pay someone else to do it!

He's a Luduci dog, and I love the way he's turned out. Nice cobby body, and as he grows into his skin he looks more and more handsome. However he excelled himself last week. I'd left a pack of bread mix next to the bread maker ready to put on. Popped out for half an hour... came back to find the kitchen (and 2 dogs)like there had been a snowstorm. I chucked them outside while I cleaned up... forgetting that they love to drink out of the fishpond. The Shepherd was fine... the Spin.. well if you've ever tried to get dough off your hands, just imagine what fun it was trying to get it out of his beard....
  8. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    The only think it it softens the coat. But too be honest the dog I did used to get filthy so was worth it for them.
  9. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

couldn't leave out my Shepherd, could I..!! The ones of the Spinone are a couple of months old now, will have to put some new ones up.
  10. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    He is very sweet and your shepherd super handsome..

I did smile at the dough out the beard!!!

How old is he now? hand stripping isn't too bad a job once you know what you are doing and the dog is used to it - I use rubber thumbs (the kind the post office peeps used to use) - the hair will only come out when its ready - just use finger and thumb and pull. If it doesn't come easily its not ready to come out :)

If you do want to pay someone else check they do hand strip and won't use clippers!
  11. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    He's 7 months now, growing like a weed, and isn't that much smaller than my Shep!! (which is quite worrying as he was supposed to be a lot smaller!!) Hey ho, I'm good at big dogs so it seems, but then I did used to have Danes..
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Cute Spinone (my sister has three) ... but LOVE your shepherd (I am a shep person through and through ;-)). Is he a Gefni? He reminds me of Norma's dogs. He is gorgeous!
  13. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    No he's an Albesa dog. He is very handsome isnt he!
    :grin:
    I tried to put another photo in but it didn't work... maybe later!
  14. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Oo I am in love with your spinone :) more pics please!!
  15. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I love your Spinone! I know a lady who travelled up to Scotland (from Norfolk) to get her new one from Spinone rescue.

Do you get people asking you if it is a Poo-ador (Poodle x Lab) though? They ask me that with my Kerry Blues!
  16. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    No people tend to ask if he's a Mud Hound. :grin:

Arggg struggling with photos!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2011
  17. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hi again have you been on the breed site - might have some useful tips or help think there is a FB page too which might be worth searching - the link is on the breed site.

http://www.italianspinone.co.uk/

Enjoy your pup
  18. JackieS

JackieS New Member

Hello , my daughter has a litter sister to your boy, and as yet has has not needed to do too much in the way of hand stripping, but she does a little most evenings while Bracken is dozing on the sofa next to her. That way it won't become too big a job and Bracken won't get fed up she also washes her beard every day.
    Pam has bought a DVD on grooming Spinone from the Italian Spinone Club of GB which she has found useful.
  19. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    I do the beard washing.... but he's such a boy!! If he was a child, he'd be the one with the runny nose and his shirt hanging out and dirty knees!! I do find the Furminator good too, gets a lot of the dead hair out without trying.

Whereabouts does your daughter live? There is a half brother of his living very close to me here... such fab dogs, no idea why I didn't discover them before!
  20. Carolinea

Carolinea New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    Have discovered the Mars Coat King... fantastic, has got so much loose hair from him, he's starting to look brilliant!

Shame he's not cleaner though! off to gundog training tomorrow with his half brother, more ritual humiliation!!:grin:
  21. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    Please be VERY sparing withthe coat king. Personally I don't use them on anything I handstrip, as it does cut the coat. Hand strip little and often is the best way, and learn how to do it properly yourself. I do handstrip spins in the salon, but only on the condition that they are in every 4 weeks and it is not by any means a cheap option. For the ones that can't afford to have their dogs stripped that often, do not want to do it themselves, or the dog has a poor coat, then I clip. No Clipping does not give the desired effect, but sometimes it is the only sensible option (though probably not in your case), as the dogs welfare should always be paramount over personal preference