Spooked Frenchie :( Discussions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by debbie atkins, Nov 26, 2017.

1. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79

Spooked Frenchie :(

ok this has happened twice now. My Frenchie appears to be absolutely spooked by something. Both times it's happened in the dark. His front legs go wider, and his body won't stop shaking. His eyes are wide and he's looking around but it's like he is petrified od something. It's taken me about 5 minutes to calm him. I've googled it, and not sure what it is as he hasn't peed himself. Freaking me out. Can anyone help? (He is 2 1-2) no health problems.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Debbie - three questions. What is the timing between these episodes - days? Weeks? And have you mentioned it to your vet.

The third question is has anything happened that is not usual - such as changing his food or something?

I hope he is OK.
  4. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    Hi,

Last one happened about 5 weeks ago. It was about 7am, and he woke up and was shaking straight away. I put that down to a bad dream.

Tonight it was around 7:30pm. He was awake, we were watching TV in the living room with the lights off.

His foods been the same, he had some mince and potatoes earlier (little bit of leftover dinner) and usual treats.

He had a very energetic morning, running wild with a fellow Frenchie.

I'm going to call the vets tomorrow to make an appointment but I'm not sure what they'd suggest. I've googled it and can't find anything similar apart from suggesting a fit.

I have also just lit some white sage in case my house is spooked ! :/

What is odd is last week me and Pete just happened to look at him at the same time and it was like he was being pushed backwards. So weird
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I would not use any essential oils or even room freshener at the moment, nor give him any left-overs, and make a note of everything that might see significant, even down to the slightest change in his behaviour or anything, so that you know what to tell your vet. I always kept an online diary for Pereg and jotted everything down every day, even to a change in the weather or if the gardeners across the road were weed-spraying.

I still keep the diary for Tikva although not every day, but it does keep me aware of any dates that she might be off-colour and also when she has any vaccinations or worm treatments, with reminders when the next are due.

You say you were watching television with the lights off - was there any flickering or flashing on the television at the time? Anything slightly different that happened during the day?
  6. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    No there wasn't any flickering.

I have stopped him having leftovers, he will now only have dog food and dog treats.

I took him to the vets and they took bloods from him. All came back fine. Vet said to just keep an eye on him and if if starts happening regular (as in once a week) then to maybe go down the route of having an MRI etc. I asked if there was anything I could do and she said no, just comfort him as you have been doing.

She didn't seem to be worried though. What's funny is Chopper hates the vets and as soon as we walk in the door he shakes. I said to her this is how he was shaking the other day.

It's just worrying isn't it. Poor little souls :(

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me as well. I really appreciate it
  7. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    The only thing that was different was that he was running around like a lunatic with another's Frenchie and he was knackered. Almost struggled to walk back to the car. He slept for a bit later so maybe he was done in?
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg's bloods always came back fine and she had no known trigger, so it was never known what caused the seizures. She was always fine going to the vet even though she had to have three-monthly blood tests - she almost galloped from the taxi into the surgery.

Little Tikva adores him as well, even though she has to have three-monthly shots for Parkworm - he comes here for those and she leaps into his arms for a cuddle when she sees him! Mind you she has to wait for her cuddle until I get my hug from him!

As for Chopper, I would not go down the MRI route but if he does have more episodes I would ask for him to be referred to a neurologist, and I still think keeping a diary might be helpful. I actually kept/still keep two online diaries with the same information on both of them in case one of the sites goes down.