spraying Discussions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Justjay1123, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Justjay1123

Justjay1123 New Member

Name:
    Jessica

spraying

I'm just wondering how many of you have your akita spayed and if you recommend it?
    My girl is 13 months now and we are looking into if spraying g wold be a good idea or not. More due to her behaviour, she is quite a nervous dog and fits all the typical akita traits of being given really protective, disliking strangers ect.. she does still have some issues with biting and somtimes her behaviour can be a little unpredictable which is making me nervous about spraying her.
    Also worth noting we have a baby due in a couple of weeks so I wouldn't want to make her more aggressive given we already have our work cut out to make introductions to the baby successful. Any advice is welcomed?!:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Neutering can only ‘guarantee’ one thing, and that is the inability to have puppies
    Getting her spayed will not alter her temperament and it is well documented by many experts that neutering dogs that are fearful or aggressive can/does make them worse.
    Genetics can also play a part in a dog’s temperament and if it is an inherited trait neutering will not fix it.

There is lots of info on the net do lots of research before reaching a decision.
    Should you decide to go ahead id wait until she is at least 2yrs old.
  4. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Certain cancers are drastically reduced too, mammary and ovarian/uterus etc. I'm of the belief also that it does nothing to stop certain behaviors, a boisterous dog will not become quite and friendly if you take away his knackers, that's a myth.

Though he won't get testicular cancer if he has none either, but that's not a logic I would apply to myself lol, so to each to his own.

As for babies you probably have the best dog for assuming it will be very gentle and respectful of an infant human, your baby will be your family and in turn the Akita will know that, but common sense also applies too.

You're not likely to tell the dog "Mind the baby I'm off to Walmart for some diapers", though in ancient Japan that's exactly what they would do (Minus the Walmart part) lol.

My girl is 5 months old and I will be getting it done within the next couple of months as I also have an intact Male Siberian Husky. Not saying I wouldn't love a house filled to the brim with Huskita's, but my wife has quite the shoe collection and they're the first thing to go in my experience.
  5. Justjay1123

Justjay1123 New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yeah I think I would rather not have her done and just take precautions when she is in season.
    As I do struggle with her more than I should as it is so really would not want to risk making her worse. For instance 5 minutes ago she attempted to nip my face because I was igoring her and didn't stroke her. She only behaves this way when my boyfriend is near me so it's a jealously problem but something we are havig a hard time rooting out. Hence my worry about the baby coming along.
    God how I wish I had not been so naive and looked up about inherited traits. Her parents could not be viewed other than thright a patio door window, which they did not like and all pups were separated from mum and taken to their new homes by 5 weeks. All the warning signs were there..
  6. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Yeah 5 weeks was too soon, she's missing that little bit of bonding time with a mother figure. That's usually when pups get bolder and would test their mothers resolve by biting extra hard on her ears or whatever to see what happens, and they would get nipped back very quickly with a growl. That's when the memory of "respect your elders" would be ingrained through that little bit of fear.

Do you scold her for doing this or do you back off from her?
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    A face nipping dog and a newborn baby. A disaster in the making. I cannot give any advice here that won't set off most of the members, but I will wish you good luck.
  8. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Yeah I don't envy the situation myself at all, my son is 14 and bigger than me now, but I would be at my wits end had he been a toddler or newborn.

I've no idea if this would work but maybe your Akita could be tested with one of those life like crying dolls, maybe even a friend who has a baby could give you a blanket with the baby's scent on it to wrap around it.

Depending if its just curious or instantly aggressive to a potential baby in your arms would give you a good indication how things might turn out. It would sure beat leaving it until the real baby comes home. I don't know if it would trick the dog, but you'd have to not let the dog ever! realize it was in fact a doll. Don't let it see it directly or smell it directly. You would need to be as guarded as you would if it were your actual child

You bring it home like you would a real baby and you test the waters, even do the whole leave the doll in a crib high enough that the dog couldn't look in while you are in the next room, set your cell phone up as a camera and just see what happens when it starts crying.

Depending on the reaction, your decision might be so much easier.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I know you are too sensible to ever leave your Akita and baby unsupervised together. It is possible that you could have some shows of jealousy when the baby arrives, and she finds that she has has to share your attention. It might be wise to plan a baby-gated area from which she can be excluded when the baby is active and awake. You could also try putting some baby scented items in her bed, so the scent loses its novelty.
    I never had a moment's doubt when my daughter was born, BUT, I had Golden Retrievers and Cavaliers, perhaps Working breed folk will have greater insight.
    She may surprise you, but don't take any chances.