Springer and Irish Setter - Do these breeds go well together? Discussions

Discussion in 'Irish Setter' started by valandra, Feb 10, 2010.

1. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy

Springer and Irish Setter - Do these breeds go well together?

Who thinks these breeds go well together? Ive been thinking again today about my other dog when i get it, and the Irish Setter isnt one that has come up in my mind. I seen a few on the beach today and i think they will actually go well together.

Does anyone know much about the Irish Setter?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. rune

rune

Only that I wouldn't want one with a springer (G)! Staid and a steadying influence they are not!

rune
  4. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    How do you mean?
  5. rune

rune

Scatty comes to mind, although I did know one who was a bit more sensible.

Very flashy though!

rune
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Beautiful dogs, but there is a woman near me with three of them and (these are HER words, not mine, before I cause offense to any Irish Setter owners!) according to her, they are I quote "a bit lacking in the brain the department". Whether that is just her dogs I'm not sure!

As for complimenting a Springer, I suppose it depends. As rune said both breeds can be quite scatty. If you want scatty x2, then they go well together. If you want an easier going dog, it might be worthwhile getting a more laid back breed. Just thinking of my own dogs, I find my scatty dog compliments my ultra lazy laid back dog...my lazy boy is a calming influence on my mad girl, which is a good thing.
  7. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    I think they are wonderful, I showed and bred them for a while, and I hope to have another in the future.

They can be scatty but they aren't as naughty as the English Setters and my last two were/are very obedient.

They have the typical setter temperement, i.e. extremely friendly, excellent with children and other pets, and they will run off after other dogs to play if you don't teach them manners, but I didn't have any problems with recall with mine, and they were as good as gold in the house.

I don't think, however, that an Irish would be a calming influence on a springer, they will probably just play all day.

If you get one I will be sooo very jealous :mrgreen:
  8. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    Lol ah right. Ill have to keep that in mind

Ive heard that they have 'selective hearing' but i plan to get training in early as i did with Pepsi so that shouldnt happen. I hope. lol. Where as i can see the Setter being more scatty than my springer, she is quite chilled out. In the house she just lies around all day and sleeps.

I find these dogs so nice to look at. As i said i plan to train early and then get both dogs into agility. If they can be a working breed i dont see agility being hard for them. Although ive never seen them in any agility pics before. It would be nice for the dogs to play all day. But with the walks i give and mental excercise id be very suprised if they played for more than an hour lol
  9. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Love them but would struggle to have one with a springer if I'm honest. All the bounciness would match but not 'up there' if you know what I mean ;o)
  10. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    just get another springer :lol: :lol: :lol: madness times two, and i always say springers are like chocolates one is never enough:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh and on the setters lovely dogs:grin: :grin:
  11. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    Yeah i would fancy another springer but am i lucky as in my springer has been a breeze or is it the constant training and excercise i have been giving her to make her an easy going dog. I hear people saying springers are always hyper and pepsi can be when out on a walk which i class as 'her time', but in the house she is so chilled. Do you have the same thing with all yours?
  12. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    I don't have any real knowledge on the Irish Setter breed I'm afraid other than my parents had to sadly rehome their two when I was born as they were very lively and injured me on more than one occasion ACCIDENTLY, scattily, and clumsily!- once I ended up in hospital, apparently they were in the other room but then heard a cat on the tele and one of them came charging in, running over the settee on the way and stood on me (asleep in my mums arms) with all four paws one at at time - I was about a week old! :shock:

But looking at the fact that they clumsily injured me on MORE than one occasion it was obviously a painstakingly difficult decision to give them up!:lol: My mum idolises the breed still now.
    xx
  13. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    yep run round like eejits while they are out, usually found on the sofa or in various beds indoors
  14. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    LOL - you should try Irish Setter x 2, + 1 x springer, + 1 x choccy lab.....................urmmmmm MADHOUSE!!!!!!
    But i love it!!:mrgreen:
  15. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    I've not read all the posts but I will say this.....

I know these breeds.

I've always had a formula for multiple dogs (esp just two) .....

Laurel and Hardy were the ultimate combination.

Laurel and Laurel wouldn't quite have the same chemistry :p

I hope that makes sense - it's late ;-)
  16. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    You're insane ;o)
  17. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    I think it sounds like heaven too..but then I know I'm mad :lol:
  18. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    LOL - this is true:shock: ;-)
    But only mad people own setters hey!!! x
  19. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    A friend of mine had an Irish red and white setter 27 years ago when I was a teenager with my first dog. It was a beautiful looking dog but to say it had 2 brain cells would be being charitable!! It is the only red & white one I have ever seen in the flesh-they are quite rare.

It was a really bad match for him as he was so laid-back he was horizontal and the dog was extremely high-energy, manic really! He used to want to swap dogs with me-I had a well-behaved small dog.

A lady I see regularly on the heath has a red setter and she used to show them at Crufts and breed them. Hers is lovely but is an old dog now so obviously a lot clamer than if you were getting a puppy or younger one.
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I love them, and they are (along with others) on my wish list.

I once sat and had a lovely conversation with an "irish setter breeder" at a show , and i said the immortal words to here...." how do you cope with the scattiness of them" she soon gave me short shift, and said "my dear"! they are a gun dog, that is bred to cover miles of moor and work!! if they did not have a brain cell, they could not do the job,

In other words, they are no more likely to be nutty than any other bred that is given the correct exercise for its needs.

This lady was also instrumental in bringing and reviving the Red and white here in England...

She has a couple and (this is going back about 7 yrs) I had not seen one before, so got an education on them too.

Not so rare now, if you go to the shows you will see them.. although still not a popular dog , but again a breed on my wish list.
  21. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I have met three wonderful Irish setters and they are also on my wish list for the future.. they can be scatty, but believe me, nothing could be as norty and wilful and daft as their English cousins... with training they are lovely dogs... now if an Irish isn't quite your bag, how about an intelligent Pointer... that would be lovely with a Springer!!;-) ;-) :mrgreen: