St Bernard puppy wont stop crying Behaviour

Discussion in 'St. Bernard' started by Odette, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Odette

Odette New Member

Name:
    Odette

St Bernard puppy wont stop crying

Hi everyone. I'm not a first time dog owner but I am a first time St Bernard owner. I have read up on the breed and I'm quite confident that I will be able to handle such a stubborn breed. I bought my pup on Saturday at 9 weeks. Her first day home was a breeze. I don't think I've ever had such a relaxed pup. She had a few potty accidents but we quickly showed her where to go and made a fuss when she did it right and now for most of the time, she goes out and pees outside. We also bought her a lot of toys to chew on and a blanket. She also slept right through the night with no problem whatsoever.
    Now, here is the issue. On her second day, she started feeling more at home and was a bit more out going. We really don't mind that, in fact we love it. She would run and jump onto our laps, then she would make these cry sounds, all the while squirming around as if she is trying to get comfortable. She just couldn't get comfortable. We thought our body heat might be too much for her as we know they get warm very fast, so we put her down on the tiled floor. Still the same. She ran around everywhere, crawling on her blanket trying to find a nice spot to lay while making crying sounds. She even annexed the cat's cat tower's bottom panel :) (Needless to say, we have one very upset kitty but they are getting used to one another - she has even gone to sleep on the pups blanket). She is making these crying noises a lot. Even when we are with her and giving her a lot of attention. There is no lack of attention between me, my partner and our son. The pup is loved up! We tried everything to appease her and nothing worked - we even wet her a few times just in case she was feeling too hot. She loves water! Still she cried. So I scolded her and it stopped. So I think it might just be naughtiness but she did it right through last night and we hardly had any sleep. She is not allowed on the bed or the couches because of her size when she is older. So we all get down to her level on the floor and spend our time there with her. I have had lots of puppies before but never one that cried like this one. For no apparent reason it seems. Please, if there is anyone that can help and give advise as to what might be causing this, I would appreciate it so much.
    We are taking her to the vet on Friday for her injections and will mention it to the vet, but that is still 4 nights away :) and in the mean time, we are all the living dead.
    Here are a few pictures of the adorable little nugget!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    First of all

Many very young puppies are "perfect" on the first day at their new home, but it usually does not last, as you have discovered. She is not naughty and definitely should not be scolded for crying. She is just a baby who is probably missing her momma and litter mates. Please give her time to learn what is OK and what is not, such as her crying.

Do you put her in a crate at night? Or do you just leave her freedom of your home. Maybe a crate would make her feel more secure?
  4. Odette

Odette New Member

Name:
    Odette
    It doesn't seem like she is sad though. She even does this while we are playing with her. I thought she might miss her litter mates and parents. I will wait it out. I am more worried that something is wrong with her, causing discomfort than the crying. I can take it but it sometimes look as if something is causing her great discomfort when she does this. We are worried that there might be something wrong.
    She has freedom of the house. Planning on trying out a crate tonight with a warm bottle under a stuffed toy so that it feels like she has another puppy with her.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Had she been vet checked before you brought her home? And did you have registered details of her dam and sire?

Leaving her to have freedom of the house is, IMHO, not a good idea when she has just been taken from her momma and litter mates. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with her but what you call crying I call eeping - and is when the puppy suddenly realises that she misses her momma and litter mates. She is, after all, only a baby, and cannot be expected to be the perfect dog the instant you take her from the only family she had known.

I would not put a warm bottle in the crate unless it was freezing cold winter, but since I first used a crate with my little pup [who was not even three-weeks old] I put some soft toys and the teeshirt I had been wearing in her crate. Her crate was, and still is, in my bedroom, and is only used for night. Never for a "shut up" punishment.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yazmin likes this.
    She is a lovely puppy. Being from a large breed, I would imagine that she was from a large litter, and as Malka says, she is probably missing the constant activity of her siblings. The first few days are always a period of adjustment for both parties, so bouts of gentle play and a few fluffy toys in her bed is the best way help her to adapt. Try not to over respond to her crying in the meantime, she does need to learn to cope without the support of her brothers and sisters.