staff pup General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Feb 14, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Azz likes this.

staff pup

hi I was on here about a month ago about my staffie blue being attacked by two other dogs . anyways ived been bringing him back round the park and been trying my hardest to socallize him with a variety of dogs . We have also been letting him off the lead in the middle of the park to focus on his recall , however he can be very bouncy with other dogs and jumps all over them which a lot of them don't like , which ends up with them growling which blue don't seem to understand and he will still go back to play , he tends to jump on there back or jumps over them .Today I brought blue for his daily walk and brought him onto the enclosed dog area where a little dog and a poodle came into play blue was playing very well with the poodle , however everytime he kept running past the little dog it kept trying to bite blue , which I didn't think blue seemed too bothered , after about 5 minutes I think blue either jumped on the little dog from excitement or the dog he was playing with pushed blue into this dog . I don't think the little dog liked it and bit blue and was growling and blue was growing a lot too and it seemed aggressive , me and my mum immediately got blue off . blue had the little dogs ear in his mouth and the little dog bit blues chin ad there were two teeth marks , the little dog was not bleeding as far as we know as we checked him over and really apologise to the owner . blue has never growled or bit another dog and I'm not sure if this was a reaction to the dog biting him . blue continued to growl at the other dog after the incident and I firmly told him no , he was absolutely fine with the poodle and has played with lots of dogs and never showed any sign of aggression . I just really need advice on blue jumping on other dogs , especially little dogs as I'm scared his gonna hurt them without knowing. how he reacted today has concerned me as he reacted so aggressively I know his been bit but he also had the dogs ear , so I just wanna put my mind at rest as his been attacked and I really would not like him being that way with dogs. usually when dogs play with blue too rough he can be very submissive so I find it very weird for him to retaliate . blue is only 4 months , some advice would be very good thank you posted this before but not sure if it worked sorry x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    katie134 and CaroleC like this.
    I wouldn’t let him off lead around other strange dogs until he’s settled down as one day he could jump on the wrong dog with severe consequences, or could lead to him becoming aggressive. Use a long line that way you have control to stop him before he reaches the other dog/s put him in the down position and when he’s calmed down then allow him to greet calmly, if he attempts to jump on them Gentle lead him away.

Do heelwork/recalls in the park (on lead) at a reasonable distance from other dogs, teach the ‘watch me’ command with special toy or titbit to keep his attention on you, then you can gradually move to working closer to the other dogs around.

With time/patience and training you should aim to teach him to simply ignore other dogs unless you give the ok.

I always teach my dogs the ‘Emergency stop’ which I have found very valuable because they don’t have to both stop, turn around and come back, so its just one thing to think about and is much easier to comply if they are in a really excited state.
  4. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Thank you for replying , yes that's why I brang him into the enclosed dog area because of the way he keeps jumping on dogs. As soon as he does this on the lead I tell him no and take him away but he just keeps doing it I even make him sit and be calm sometimes near the dog as well if he has jumped . I will try the long line lead as I have him on a very short lead . in the middle of the park you don't get many dogs there, if he has seen a dog he will not go near them if I say bye blue and walk the other way he will follow so at a distance his not very fussed with the dogs , its just when they come and say hi he don't know how to greet . The dog who he did have the fight with I knew the owner and they met each other on the lead and he has barked at blue alot and is quite snappy but blue has never seemed bothered by this so I didn't think much of it as he was playing with the poodle very well and I did warn the owner that he can be very bouncy but she seemed fine that her dog would be okay with that . The only other thing I have noticed him doing with other dogs but think it's a play thing is he stalks them and kinda hunts them like a lion and he has done this twice to people in the street , also me but I think its a play thing but I'm not a dog expert so not a 100 percent sure , he loves people he gets very excited when people say hi so don't think that's much for me to worry about , we have started training him indoors not to jump on us so meby that might help him understand that it's not nice to jump and not everyone likes it . Blue is also a very big Staffie he is 13 kg just at 4 months and it is not fat , when we brange him to the vet she was quite shocked at how big he was for a staffie but said that we were not overfeeding him . blues already nearly the same height as staffie that are fully grown , he did not come with papers but I met his mum who was very small but I never met his dad only seen photos of which he was quite big but blue seems very big for his age just wondering as his is only 4 months I can show photos thanks x
  5. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Azz, 6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    20160215_114004-1.jpg 20160203_130336.jpg 20160201_153513.jpg
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Vee has given you good advice. Blue is a very handsome boy, but his size and weight, (and outgoing puppy manners), could be intimidating to smaller, or older dogs.
    Did you do anything about finding a training class for Blue? He might benefit from learning to meet and greet other dogs, and people, in a controlled environment. The Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme might be a good course for you, as the classes are graded by the dog's age or ability.
    Details of these classes in your area can be found by looking on the Kennel Club website.
  7. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Yes this is what I think , I think blue also didn't understand the reaction to the dog and with all the excitement with the poodle got scared himself I think they both did . Blue usually like I said can be very submissve with dogs even on one occasion weeing himself where I had to take him away because he seemed too nervous , which I'm not gonna allow a situation like that to continue . We have met very placid dogs who are great for blue and can tell him off with the jumping but not be too much either . yes we looked into a kennel club puppy class in our area and I am on the waiting list but I texted the woman about 2 weeks ago and its still full up , this is out closest one and the other one we looked for is too far for blue to travel at this age as we don't have a car it's public transport for us . I might text her again today and explain what happened and see if she can fit us in and help with blue jumping on dogs. I'ved had a labrador in the past who was a very outgoing puppy and also like this but the difference is he would know his limits with little dogs and he seemed to greet the dogs better aswell and I never had these issues even tho he was a very energetic puppy .
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and katie134 like this.
    What a handsome boy, looks like hes going to be a big strong dog, I agree with Carole that training classes would be beneficial as they can guide you plus he will be meeting lots of dogs, in the meantime don’t let him get into uncomfortable situations, if things look a bit iffy immediately remove him. The best advice I was given is that Prevention is better than Cure x
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and katie134 like this.
    If you cannot get a place, you could try the APDT site. I see you are from London, and there are over two pages of London trainers listed, plus others in the Home Counties which might be near enough. Look for the ones that say Classes, I think this would be better for yourself and Blue, (also cheaper), than a one to one trainer.
    Best wishes.
  10. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you
    yes just rang the woman from kennel club to see if she can fit him in fingers cross , she is going to ring me back later. His such a great dog we have learnt him a lot of things so far and he is very clever , just got a long way to go with other stuff . Thank you carole yes I will try that , I had a home visit from one of them when he was very puppy I will try look for puppy classes on that . We just wanna try our best with him before he learns bad behaviours and yes he is already starting to get very strong so we want to do our best before he grows into a very big dog . Also don't know if any of you had this with your dogs , but we had him on a harness which helped a lot on walks with not pulling which blue never did , but we had to take him off It because he developed a rash which turned into quite a nasty infection under his armpits , he was put on antibiotics and steroid cream for it and the vet told us to not bring him for walks till it calmed down , after this ived had him on a collar but it's a lot harder to walk him , he never pulled but has started to a little bit with this which would be quite hard to walk when he does get older I always pull him back and say wait , or ived tryed stopping still everytime he pulls till he relaxes , just wondering if there was anything that helped with your dog's x thanks for all the advice it's nice to hear from other people x
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My last four dogs have been two rescue Lurchers, followed by a young rescue Beagle, and an adult rehomed Beagle. All energetic and impulsive breeds, so my most useful command has to be 'Sit, and Wait'! - reward for doing so, quite generously at first.

Beagles are quite vocal, and like to tell other dogs that they are Hoouunds. This can be a bit, 'in your face', and being rather musical, (loud), can also be mistaken for aggression. Therefore my second most useful command is to let them look at the dog, or whatever, then ask them to 'Look at me'. Small but tasty treat as a reward when they switch their attention to you, and walk on smartly. Begin training this at a comfortable distance - decrease gradually.
    My Eddie was a dog reactive youngster, and my third most useful command was, 'Here close', a swift U -Turn to face me. Leslie McDevitt calls this, 'Dog in your face', it helps to avoid any head on incidents, but if you have room to pull your dog to one side, so much the better.
  12. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Thank you , yes I have done this with the treats before at home but going to start doing it a lot more more now and getting blues focus abit more , thank you for all your advice its very useful it really helps x