Standard Poodle - What coat colours? Questions

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by scorpio, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky

Brilliant pictures Patch Beautiful!
    Becky
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Lovely dogs everone!!
    great to see them doing agility :grin:
  4. ChristineGibson

ChristineGibson New Member

Name:
    Christine
    I have a black standard boy, now 6 years old. I have done everything with him, agility, obedience, gun dog and working trials (all very badly!) They are wonderful dogs but have a low boredom level and will make their own entertainment if bored.
    The best advice I had was that they just want to be with you. They are marvelous companions and house dogs (They also do not like the rain so don't demand long walks in dreadful weather)
    Go on, get one!
  5. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I wanted a Standard Poodle when we were looking for a dog but my husband said he wasn't walking a Poodle! (men!)

They are apparently the 2nd most intelligent dog. I have to have a non-moulting breed as I'm asthmatic.

However, we had small terriers before we got our kerry Blue terriers and they semed HUGE after a small dog so I think Standard poodles ould have seemed GINORMOUS!

I wished Poodles came in a sort of medium size as they are either tiny or very large.
  6. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Clive is exactly the same...he doesn't want a poofy dog, as he calls them, I think they are gorgeous and would have one like a shot :grin:
  7. ChristineGibson

Name:
    Christine
    You should tell these misinformed husbands about John Suter.
    He has a sled team of standard poodles in Canada and races them in the harshest conditions. He has completed the Iditeroil race several times and that is 1,100 miles between Anchorage and Nome in Alaska. You can't do that with a 'poofy' dog!
  8. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I blame the people who have then cut in such strange clips (in my opinion) as I think this is what makes people think of them as silly dogs. Apologies to anyone who has their Poodle clipped in a "Lion" trim (think that's what it is called) but they do look weird. I told someone at work that they were originally trimmed like this for buoyancy in the water as they were a working dog and she said that was rubbish but I read it in a book.

If they have a more "normal" haircut they look much nicer I think!
  9. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    The origonal working clip, is what's now called the sporting clip, here anyway. it has the same lines as the "lion" or show clip, but with only a couple of inches of hair instead of the masses of it. It was done like that to streamline them in the water, while insulating the dog's joints against the cold water that they swam in while working in their origonal function as water retreivers. you'll see the portugese water dog, and irish water spaniel clipped in similar ways, just not in the exaggeration that the Poodle unfortunately has to be shown in. there are breeders and groups in North America that are lobbying to have the sporting clip allowed in the show ring, as it's hard (impossible???) to work a poodle (retreiving, tracking etc.) and keep it in show coat.
  10. Blu

Blu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    You can.. miniature poodles or a small standard :lol:

I wanted a standard but decided the coat would be too much work if I was to show so instead got a min. Always owned poodles and done obediance but I wanted a go at showing.

It's true about when they get bored. They make up their own fun games and 90% of the time it isn't the kind of games the owner will like the idea of :p
  11. Greatheart

Greatheart New Member

Name:
    Ulandi
    My husband and I just got our poodle, Tobe, on Friday (he is only 8 weeks old). We work from home and have been able to be with him a lot (except for when he is in his crate) so can't say I've experienced the boredom yet. All I have seen so far is a dog that is so willing to please, so intelligent and so much fun! He is such a great joy and has brought so many smiles to our faces.

Also, it is winter here by us now and gets really cold at night, but he has been fine when we take him out at night. I'm glad he has such a nice warm coat! Its better than having a puppy who shakes with just a breeze.

Here is a pic of our little bundle of joy :grin: !

[​IMG]
  12. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    He is gorgeous...I wish you lots of fun and happiness with him :grin:
  13. ChristineGibson

Name:
    Christine
    Your lovely puppy, Tobe, looks so much like my boy when he was a baby (he is now 6 years old) Is your boy related to Tommygun by any chance?
    My Alfie is still a lot of fun and still has his sense of humour-sometimes unfortunately.
    It is so lovely when they are puppies so I hope that you really enjoy him
  14. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    He's fabulous, certainly will never be bored with him!!!
    Becky
  15. Greatheart

Greatheart New Member

Name:
    Ulandi
    We certainly have been enjoying him! And yes, he has kept us very busy.

He is so much fun...and the older he gets the more he does - he is so playful and really a clown! At first we had to encourage him to play and now he plays non-stop (except for when he is eating and sleeping off course!!!)! It’s awesome to see that he can have fun on his own now as well. Just this afternoon he was going crazy with his chicken all on his own.

And I can now say that we have experienced the 'boredom'. Just the day after my comment on the poodle's tendencies to get bored we had to go buy new toys because he was just not interested in the toys he already had. He just wanted everything that he wasn't allowed to have ;-) ! Now we are making sure to exchange his toys often and it has really helped! Thanks Christine :grin: . Because of your hint of advice we have successfully managed to keep him from destroying anything of ours...as of yet...off course we've had to say no a few times, but he is learning to love his own things.

My husband and I also find ourselves amused by Tobe quite often!!! He definitely has that sense of humor you were talking about :lol: . The way he walks, and bounces, and paws at things, or even attack toys. We just absolutely love the Poodle's mannerisms - the bouncy, hopping, cat-like ways! He is so entertaining!

About his lineage - Tobe is not a registered Poodle. We could not register him as his breeder did not register his dogs. All we know is his father comes from American bloodlines and his mother comes from local bloodlines (unknown before then). They were great looking dogs though and we were just interested to have Tobe as a pet so that wasn't a problem for us. We are excited to see how big he will grow up to be though as his father was a magnificent dog.

They are cute as puppies though, hey? Would love to see a pic of your Alfie, Christine (either as a puppy or recent?).

Blessings :)