Super Trick (shame it took me 5 years to think of it) Health

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by katygeorge, Sep 18, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy

Super Trick (shame it took me 5 years to think of it)

As most of you know Phoebe suffers with her skin and ears. She currently has something going on in 1 ear, its not right but its also not full blown infection. My problem is that it doesnt bother Phoebe untill i clean it, this is a problem i have been battling for 5 years. I know i have to clean them but it makes me not want to as she then is aggravated and will mess with them usually making them worse.
    So came my new trick to distract her while the sting and itch the cleaning causes eases off - THE KONG!! Ive treid this before but with peanut butter and Phoebe just lost interest quick and I never tried again. This time i have a secret weapon.................puppy food, its irresistible enough that for 40 mins she is fixated on getting it all out and forgets all about her ears. Been doing this all week and its working a treat. Go Me!! :041:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh well done Katy! :023:

I wish I could find a super trick for Pereg with her pills - until the last bad series of episodes she happily took them all squidged in a little piece of spreadable cheese triangles - for three and a half years.

Now she refuses to take them so it means getting her mouth open, popping the cheese covered pills in, and gently holding her jaws closed, tilting her head back and stroking her throat, saying "come on, be a good girl please" until she licks her lips and swallows.

Five times a bloomin' day. :091:
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    have you tried crushing them and sprinkling the powder over/in something.
    I made meatballs out of tinned dog food when shes on antibiotics as they dont go down so well. In the meatballs she doesnt notice

But sometimes the cruel to be kind way is best
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Well done Katy, bout time you out-smarted the little madam :D
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    manydogz likes this.
    What with five lots of pills, earliest at 7am latest 11pm, and two of which must not even be cut [huge pills at that], it would take too much time to crush them etc. Also her Pb [half of a 100mg tablet and one 15mg tablet] which she has every eight hours, are so tiny that even a missed crumb of a crushed one would lessen the dose she gets.

Oh well, she has to have them one way or the other, even if it means shoving them down her throat, which I really really really do not want to have to do to her.
  7. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    Five of my dogs will take meds if I bury them in a piece of a hotdog or some other chunk of meat that they like. For Rita I crush the pills between two spoons, add a drop of honey and some water, stir it with my finger and draw it up in a syringe and slowly squirt it into the side of her mouth. My vet told me to do it that way and it has worked great for her.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @manydogz- I tried just about everything at the beginning Debra and the cheese was the only thing that worked. It is also the easiest and quickest way for me. She knows she has to take them - she is just being a bit stubborn about it. Hopefully she will go back to taking them normally again soon.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Glad to hear youve found a solution, i had same problem with one of my Akitas, so after doing his ears i took him straight out for a walk, that worked for him.