Tear marks Questions

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by Jessicabartlett1996, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Jessicabartlett1996

Jessicabartlett1996 New Member

Name:
    Jessicabartlett1996

Tear marks

I've read online that giving your bichon frise 2-3 blueberries a day fresh/frozen can help reduce tear marks/browness around the face, has anyone ever tried this? If yes what do you think?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Not a Bichon but I have tried this with my Beagle girl. I gave her 4 a day, it made no difference to her tearstain, but she really did enjoy the blueberries!
  4. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Dab hydrogen peroxide around the area with a clean cloth.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Mari7, GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    @Branjo Snow Have you tried this on your own dog? If so what strength did you use, and were there any problems? I have avoided giving this advice for a couple of reasons.
    Fristly, Tear staining is strongest in the corner of the eye, so you would need to be certain that none of the peroxide was going to touch the lens or the conjunctiva. As many pet dogs are touchy around their eyes, this could be risky.
    Secondly, Hydrogen Peroxide is widely available over the counter in three strengths, 3%, 6%, and 9% volume. Personally, I wouldn't risk trying either of the higher concentrations in case they caused the hair to break off. (I have read that this can also happen with lemon juice, another common method). I would rather have a touch of pink than risk a brittle patch of hair.
    I have tried diluting the 3% v down to 1.5% v, but found that no better than Diamond Eyes, which I know to be safe. It is not a serious enough problem in my case to risk further experiments, but am always ready to learn.
  7. Mark Shuttleworrh

Mark Shuttleworrh New Member

Name:
    marky
    Hello. I am concerned about my Brothers newly awaited 8 week old BF puppy it has severe red staining arojnd the eyes. Shoukd he proceed with the purchase?? Thanks Marky
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Marky, has this puppy been bred by a hobby breeder or a commercial kennel? You should always see a puppy with its mother, and if possible be able to see other siblings. Are all the puppies in the litter affected, or is this one worse than the others? If this puppy is markedly worse, I think I would want a vet to check that there were no problems with the eyelashes or tear ducts before completing the purchase.
    Tear staining is a common problem in the breed, and is caused by a moisture loving red yeast. Pet shop stain removers make little impression on it, but I have heard that the UK breed club sells it's own recipe cream.
  9. Mari7

Mari7 New Member

Name:
    Mare
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hello,
    I use Brita to filter the water & I started slowly but, got up to one full teaspoon of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar every day & it definitely makes a difference. My pup's new groomer said his clients swear by Aquafina (sp) bottled water. I'm sticking with the Brita & Vinegar. I stopped once when I needed a new filter & almost immediately my pup's eyes' started running a bit. Congrats on your puppy! : )
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Mari7 likes this.
    That is interesting Mare. My Beagles have a teaspoon of natural yoghurt each morning, diluted with a little water, and I add a teaspoonful of organic cider vinegar, (the type with the 'mother' cloudiness). I'm afraid that it hasn't made any difference to her tearing which is geriatric in origin, usually just from one eye, and worse in bad weather, or if she is stressed. It isn't really bad - just a half inch stain from one eye, but I show her and would prefer it gone!
    I have just finished a trial with PetSilk Cleanse, a US product which was about £9 over here, and I don't think it made any difference at all. Currently, I am using black charcoal micellar water, (£1.99 Aldi), and though not perfect, it is better than many of the other remedies that I have tried. I was told that the L'Oriel one works well, but I won't buy that because they test on animals - a cause close to a Beagle owner's heart.
    Have you tried massage? Just today I have been recommended to massage my girl's tear ducts three times a week to improve the drainage. I'm going to try this. If I can remember, I'll report back on the results.
  11. Mari7

Mari7 New Member

Name:
    Mare
    Hi Carole,
    I'm not sure how to go about massaging there..I did buy some tear free face shampoo (saw it on YouTube) as I changed my pup's diet & about a week after he's groomed the stains are bad. So, I'm going to give that a go & see if it works. His hair grows so fast around his eyes & I am not that person that can trim around there unfortunately. If I could trim that hair, I think the problem would be resolved. He's going back to his "old diet" so that may make a difference. I love reading your posts! : ) Mare