Tell me about your english setters!!! General Chat

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by x-clo-x, Aug 9, 2010.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Tell me about your english setters!!!

yes you english setter owners you have added yet another breed to my list :twisted: :grin: looking at your pictures, and we have had a couple in at work, i am falling in love :lol:

so please, tell me about your setters, what they are like to own.. and lots and lots of pictures please :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Ha ha..another one under the spell eh? I have to say, once you've had one you have to always have one, even if you also have other breeds, they are that addictive.

They are extremely naughty, right up until they are about 7 years old, then they turn into little angels and you wonder how you got through those first years when you reflect on what they got up to...they have temperaments to die for...can you tell I'm addicted? :mrgreen:

OK, you asked for it, here are some photos for you..all either owned by me or bred by me or both :grin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got loads more but didn't want to push my luck ;-)

p.s. as I was typing this, Henry was outside digging up my plants :shock:
  4. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I have only had four, but they are fantastic dogs, as long as you dont want a super clean home, can be around for them alot, or give them canine company when you're not... they are very norty, always up to mischief and only use their brains when they want to!! But they are loving and loyal, great with kids and I will always want one or four!!
    They are all different and have their own characteristics..
    Our first Tess, was from a Ferngate X Suford mating, such a norty puppy ripping up our hallway carpet and curtains, pulling out the telephone cable and shredding all my soft toys, plus she blacked my eyes, knocked me unconscious and winded me and knocked my tooth back in my mouth!!:shock: She was also a brilliant escape artiste!! But as she grew up she was amazing and such a loss when she died:cry:
    Jamie is from the Norglens/Daraquist/Wandsfell kennels and he was also a willful norty puppy, he is maturing though into a brilliant dog, but he has terrible SA.
    Deacon is from the Wandsfell X Mariglen kennels and also a stubborn, norty puppy, he is also the nortiest of my dogs here, but a cheeky norty!!:mrgreen:
    Remy I adopted when she was almost 10 years and she is from the Denbysett/Valsett/Downend kennels, she was elegant, beautiful and stubborn when she wanted to be and very bossy, but funny and kind!

They are powerful and their recall takes alot to get there, some never do and they need secure areas to let off steam..:mrgreen:
    Will post up pics of mine later...;-)
  5. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Tess, our first, a Blue Belton and Tan... aged then about 6.5yrs

[​IMG]

Jamie and the Duchess Remy Rascal, a love story!!;)
    [​IMG]

Deacon, the norty boy.
    [​IMG]

Baby Jamie...
    [​IMG]

Baby Deacon...
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
  6. footsieG

footsieG New Member

Name:
    Gayle
    Well, you asked, I have had six ES over the last 22yrs, there is a saying once an ES owner always an ES owner, and one is never enough, so be prepared if you decide to get one, two, three, etc etc.
    As said before they are norty, but can be angles if they decide, they love cuddles infact insist on them, At the moment my Kyesh is laying on my right arm, this cuddle started with his front legs round my shoulders,( as you would cuddle), and has slowly slipped down, he has just stuck his head under my arm. But on a serious side, they are family dogs, they do not like being in a kennel on their own, and do decline if this happens, they can get depressed if the home comforts are not there, with plenty of love and cuddles and chair and sofa's to curl up on. they train very easily, but immediately foget it, unless they want to do it, but eventually they become really good at it. they love children, any children, and can't understand why some don't like them. all the ones I have had have never shown any aggression what so ever, infact do not understand when another dog has a go, and will go back and see if they can win them over, you need eyes everywhere, because turn away and they will pinch anything that smells and looks like food, they know it is wrong, but still do it, all mine have love freshly baked bread, by the loaf!!!!!!!!! but they make wonderful pets, loving and loyal, and will give more love than you will have to give back. Onw warning their tails are never still, so keep any valuable out of wagg height.
  7. footsieG

footsieG New Member

Name:
    Gayle
    Now here's the pics[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    aww thanks guys im falling in love :grin:

we have two in at work, one is called tango and shes the orange colour (sorry i dont know the proper names) but shes on alot of medication bless her. shes a sweetie though.

the othe one is a big blue boy called monty and he is just a darling, they arent together but both of them have smalled sized companions, and we let them all out together because they get on so great. id love to know more about them, i think they are stunning!
  9. Jessi Clark

Jessi Clark New Member

Name:
    Jess
    I know exactly what you mean, am thinking an english would complete our little setter trifectra!!;-)
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i want more pictures please :grin:

also could people give me some breeders names, or websites i can look on? ive fallen in love with monty at work, and hes definately making me want to do more research on the breed :grin:
  11. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Well Thalice (Maud) on here is a breeder, she, I believe is Kyesh's breeder? Her affix is 'Pewterspeare'. My dogs came from 'Wandsfell' and 'Mariglen' and 'Daraquist'. There is also Wansleydale, Bournehouse where Sheree's Henry came from. But if you go on English Setter Association you will learn loads and see all the links and breeders. You will also see there are many variations of the show type, some like heavy bones, flashy coats, some prefer lighter bones and less coat...HTH!:mrgreen:
  12. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Jamie the night I first met him...
    [​IMG]

Deacon, chilling for once!!
    [​IMG]

My two boys, the lights of my life!! Aww!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
  13. Thalice

Thalice New Member

Name:
    MAUD
  14. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thanks for the help :grin: going to get doing some research i think, ive definately fallen in love :grin:
  15. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    My affix is Tawnymeade, if you look at my website, (you can see it in my profile) you will see lots of photos, so should get a real fix :grin: I also have a link to the pedigrees site so you can look up various breeding lines too :)

Mine were mainly Valsett breeding, my first litter was by Leon, who was a pure Valsett out of Gracie, who was predominately Bournehouse. I love those lines but also like the Wansleydales, which are also a combination of Valsett and Bournehouse. I like the heavier boned, flashy coated type whereas some prefer the racier built type. Henry is not as heavy as I've had in the past, although he has ample bone, and his head is not as big as I normally go for, but the whole package does fill my eye and I deliberately went for something totally different to my Leon as I felt that would be the healthier option for me.

I'm not sure that I want to breed again but, if I do, I would probably try to get a bitch to compliment Henry's lines, so long as his health checks come back ok. :grin:

I think you'll find that most of us with English are happy to talk about them 24/7 :blush:
  16. Eddie'smum

Eddie'smum New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Gorgeous pics, am definitely getting broody as well!! But I dont think Eds would ever forgive me.
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    ooh i wish all you english setter people would disappear ;-)

was walking through town yesterday and a woman colecting for the rspca had an english setter with her!! he was only young so i had to go over and have a fuss :grin: he was 17 months old and called brinn. he was absolutely gorgeous, and the owner was really nice, and i sooo wanted to take him home!! can yu just do a disappaearing act with all your dogs please and stop making me want one? :lol: :lol: :lol:
  18. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Here are some of my boy :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    oh he is sooo scrummy!!!! i really really really really want one :mrgreen:
  20. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Another Setter addict :) :) yay!!!

I have had two in my lifetime and hand on heart would only have one at a time!!!

Jazz was a tri-colour (tan and blue belton) from the Wynacre lines. Sadly we lost her far to young to cancer.

Charlie is my 6 year old Orange Belton - and as others have said just about starting to grow up - but keeps me on my toes. He is Wansleydael/Gaiasett lines. His tail never stops wagging!

They are the CUDDLIEST of the setters - oversize lapdogs definitely!

They do have brains - but are so bright they will do it if something in it for them! and if something else they want to do isn't more appealing!

I did a little bit of agility with Jazz but the English really don't seem to like to do something over and over again - so she got very bored with it all - more fun chasing bunnies and birds in the bushes.

So I haven't been brave enough with Charlie! He too adores bird watching.

Very friendly with dogs and people - toy orientated at home but on a walk not chance of competing with nature.

They love to run but recall is not their strongest point - many people question their English Setters ability to hear - they can hear they choose not too!

Fun loving, adorable, cheeky and norty but wouldn't be without one!

Pictures to follow.
  21. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Charlie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]