Tervuren swimming help Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Tervuren)' started by Eska-terv, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Eska-terv

Eska-terv New Member

Name:
    Helen

Tervuren swimming help

Hallo, I have recently (about 7 months ago) acquired a Tervuren puppy. He is 7 months old now and a very happy and beautiful dog. I have read that they do like water and swimming. Because he was a puppy in the winter and the swimmingpool water is only now the right temperature we never introduced him to the swimming pool. Althoughwe bought him a small plastic swimming pool and he loves to play in the water, he is terrified of the real swimming pool. Is there anyone that can give me any ideas about making him more cocomfortable with the swimming pool? Help would be much appreciated!

Belgian regards,
    Helen

Extra info: we do not have a fresh water source near us like a dam or lake. And I know that after they swim in a commercial pool that theyshould be rinsed off with running water...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am afraid that I cannot help you, but Pereg and I would like to welcome you and your puppy to Breedia! :)

Looking forward to seeing photos of him! :)
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Helen, 7 months is still pretty young - I would do what you are already doing, by getting him a small paddling pool, then, when you are in the main pool encouraging him to come in... when he sees he is missing all the fun he is bound to come in on his own accord :D

Good luck, and post some photos please :)
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    CaroleC likes this.
    Personally i would use the pool myself and have him in the area but ignore him and see if he jumps in of his own accord or atleast investigates the pool. I find Phoebe likes to do things in her own time and the more i encourage one way the more she pulls the other way. Once he's done it it wont be such a big deal. Ive also heard a ramp helps as they can walk in slowly instead of one huge leap that can be scary (or so the dog swimming lady tells me at our local hydrotherapy place)
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I agree with Katygeorge. We had a large pool when I lived in South Africa and my three dogs used to swim in every morning at 5.30 on the dot. They used to leap in at the deep end but always climbed out by using the steps at the shallow end. It's very important to supervise your dog whilst it's in the pool in case it gets into difficulties and can't get out which happened to my friend's corgi when he was in pool with my three.
  7. Eska-terv

Eska-terv New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Thank you all very much for your replies! I really appreciate it! Will let him become comfortable with it on his own! I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how... Have a great day!

Ps: Sorry for all the grammar mistakes.