The Boston Terrier - price and info please Questions

Discussion in 'Boston Terrier' started by pippam, Nov 7, 2011.

1. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a

The Boston Terrier - price and info please

Easily availble but expensive!! The only draw back I can think of is that a top bred pup which is what ill be looking at getting is going to set me back somewhere in the region of £1000-1200 but I have seen some going £800-900

My first choice would have been a Skye Terrior but they are a bit too big and I dont think their any near to me in my driving distence. They are very rare.

I really like them and they seem an ideal size too to what I want not, too tinie tiney but neither too big either.
    Exercise wize they seem ideal and as well as trainability seem relatively easy.

Can I see some pics of these little cuties???

I wont be able get one till I have a job and start saving but I can definately see a Boston in my life somewhere in the not too distant future I hope.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    bostons are nice little dogs. ive met quite a few at shows, and quite fancy one in the future (its a big dog next for me though!)

one thing i noticed with them, and the owners at discover dogs pointed out, they can be a bit fiesty and confrontational with other dogs because of what type of breeds are in their make up (the pitbull being one i think) and i saw this happen when a dog went up to greet them and they got a bit snappy and barky in their face.

still think they are great dogs though, i love their expression, and watch them alot at shows (always on the same day as us) as well as the pug the frenchie and the bulldog too :mrgreen: can you tell i like squishy faces :lol:
  4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I know someone who has Bostons and does agility with them! She also has Malinois, and both breeds get on very well together.
  5. kathy

kathy New Member

Name:
    Kathleen
    My Bostons are not at all confrontational and are friendly happy little souls. I foster from time to time for Frenchie Welfare and they welcome any little fosters but I have seen some that are feisty so I suppose like any other breed it is a mix of breeding lines plus environment Hope you are lucky enough someday to share your life with one of this happy little breed (Shhh don't tell them they are little!!)
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I like bostons , their is a red that goes running with his owner around here..
  7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Red? Thought they only come in brindle or black....?
  8. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    nope ..
    Red is more brown really or liver..lol
    All white too.like a white boxer(never seen one in the flesh)
    and all the dilutes of brindle..
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
  9. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I think I would be getting the traditional black and white im not so keen on the other colours ^^
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    I quite like the red ones but you don't seem I see many about. I love the black and whites anyway :grin:
  11. XoloLover

XoloLover New Member

Name:
    Stacey
    i think people mean 'seal' when they're saying 'red' as ive been in the breed for years (showing and owning) and Ive never heard of a red boston... seal basically being a shade of brown (this can range from dark to a more reddish colouration.) Brindles are the most 'preffered' colour in the show ring, and so are a little more common than the black and whites, seal being least preferred and so not seen as often.

Boston terriers are fantastic little dogs with bundles of personality and a lot of love to give. I have met only one or two confrontational dogs within the breed in all the years Ive had them and it seems to be confined to just one line... ive always known them to be very sociable with other dogs and with people. I wonder who was dont the stand at discover dogs when you were told that (are you in the uk) as I often help out on one of the days wit my mother father and sister and our two bostons.

They are fantastic little bundles of fun, and are fantastic at high jumping from a total standstill as if they have springs in their feet! XD

Prices do vary according to which breeder you go to, but there is a boston rescue run by a lovely woman who always has a boston or two looking for a loving home.

If youd like any more boston details feel free to send me a message as im a real advocate of the breed, my little boy has the best temperament I've ever seen in a dog across the breed they are lovely dogs. :)
  12. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    Do they come in different size groups?

I ask as I have seen some varience of size but they are definately Bostons the ones I have seen.

They definately seem ideal for me but sadly Ive been sanctioned by the job centre, I live with my parents and im still unemployed. The money which I would have saved for my next dog is currently what im living on so probably wont be able to afford a Boston puppy unless its a rescue and I get lucky.

Though its still going to be a while before I get another dog as I paln to wait a year after I get a job so I can see how my routine will be which will give me time to save again!

What kind of health tests do Bostons require?
  13. XoloLover

XoloLover New Member

Name:
    Stacey
    They come in 'lightweight' 'middleweight' and 'heavyweight' My boy is a heavyweight and my sisters girl is a middleweight, lightweights however are in vogue in the show ring much more than the other sizes so are becoming more common.

they can suffer from luxating patella and juvenille cataracts but there is an extensive eyes screening programme which aims to eliminate this problem within the breed. Im not sure how to post pictures on here yet or id put one up of our two bostons together to illustrate the size difference. Tuskar was one of the biggest in the country last time I checked so hes a good measure of the largest youre likely to end up with if you ever do take the plunge :)
  14. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    This is what i would call a red ...
    [​IMG]

And this how i see a Seal ...
    [​IMG]
  15. XoloLover

XoloLover New Member

Name:
    Stacey
    wow that is light... but technically a seal :) Its amazing the variations you get!

I looked up how to post pics so here is one of Tuskar when he was two :) [​IMG]
  16. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Before i rescued my little one and my situation changed work wise i was in contact with some Boston breeders ,
    Perfect mini match for the boxers...
  17. XoloLover

XoloLover New Member

Name:
    Stacey
    I totally agree, there are a few people who've got both on the show scene :)

Heres a pic of Tuskar and Sasha to kind of show a bit of a size difference :)

[​IMG]