The Bully Breeds General Chat

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Bulldogs4Life, May 27, 2015.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee

The Bully Breeds

The term bully breed is applied to a group of breeds which include bulldogs and those breeds which are descended from bulldog crosses. That's why they are called bull or bully breeds. There are many dogs that can fall into this category depending on how you are defining the type. I will list some of those breeds here. There are also multiple standards for single breeds so there might be differences from one to the next in comparison to the info I'm giving and of course there can be individuals which fall outside of any breed standard.

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
    This dog is said to have originated from bulldogs brought from England mixed with cur breeds to create a guard, stock and catch dog.
    Size Males 20-24" 70-90lbs Females 18-22" 55-75lbs
    Color A pattern of at least 50% white is most preferred with colors including brindle, black, blue, chocolate, seal, tan point, red, fawn or merle.

American Bulldog
    This breed has more than one type within the breed. The origin is said to be from the original English Bulldogs brought to America, depending on the line/type there are other breeds used within them. Types include Johnson/Bully, Scott/Performance, Painter, Old Southern White & crosses of these.
    Size 60-120lbs Males 22-27" Females 20-25" should have proper proportions
    Color Most any color is acceptable except for Merle or tri color

American Bully
    This breed was created by mixing Pit Bulls and AmStaffs with other bully breeds as well as mastiff type breeds. Like the American Bulldog there is also multiple types within this breed. Types include Pocket, Classic, Standard, XL
    Size 45-130lbs Pocket males 14-17" females 13-16" Standard males 17-20" females 16-19" XL males 20-23" females 19-22"
    The Classic American Bully should resemble a heavy type Am Staff
    Color Any color except for Merle

American Pit Bull Terrier / American Staffordshire Terrier
    The APBT was created by crossing bulldogs and terriers. There can be a lot of variance in type even though there isn't split types within the breed.
    Size Males 35-60lbs Females 30-50lbs
    Color Black, blue, chocolate, red, fawn, buckskin, tan point, brindle or seal generally with white markings and can be solid white. In blue/staff lines that have been inter bred with red nose dogs Isabella can also be seen.

American Staffordshire Terrier is the name given to APBTs who were registered with the AKC starting in 1936. Today's AmStaff typically lean towards a heavier build.
    Size 55-85lbs Males 18-19" Females 17-18"
    Color Almost any color. Though red nose was made a fault in this breed and is rare to see. Tan point and 80-100% white is also highly undesirable.

Boston Terrier
    This little dog was bred from Boston area pit dog strain crossed to French Bulldog. There are still working Bostons today but the vast majority are bred for conformation and as great companions.
    Size should not be under 10lbs or over 25lbs
    Color Black, seal or brindle with white markings. There are also liver and blue dogs, as well as Isabella though these are considered to be mismarks.

Boxer
    The Boxer breed is descended from the German Bullenbeisser dogs of which were used as both hunters and bulldogs.
    Size Males 22-25" 60-70lbs Females 21-24" 55-65lbs
    Color Fawn or brindle with black mask. White markings are acceptable and many prefer a flashy Boxer but white Boxers (over 1/3 white) are a mismark. Being primarily white is associated with deafness.

Bull Terrier / Miniature Bull Terrier
    Another bull & terrier breed hence the name. It is said there was other breeds added in to strengthen the Bull Terriers characteristic lack of stop. Originally a white breed crosses were made to Staffordshire Bull Terrier to create the colored variety. The smaller dogs became recognized as Mini Bull Terriers.
    Size 40-80lbs Mini: Not over 14" no weight limit but should have correct breed proportions
    Color White variety is white but colored markings on head is allowed.
    Colored variety may be brindle, red or tri colored. Should not be white, liver, or blue.

English Bulldog
    When people began breeding dogs for looks the English Bulldog was one to quickly take on more exaggerated features. They were bred to be companions and I imagine what some felt looked cute or formidable.
    Size Males about 50lbs Females about 40lbs
    Color Brindle, red, white, black, black & tan This breed has some of the most arbitrary and specific color preferences you can refer to the standard if you are interested. People are also producing blue, liver and Isabella.

French Bulldog
    This breed originated from English bulldogs brought to France by immigrants. Bred for their small size and companionship. They developed into a distinct type.
    Size 18-28lbs
    Color Brindle, cream, fawn or white. While considered a mismark some breeders are producing blue brindle and chocolate brindle.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    This breed shares a close relation to the other bull & terrier breeds. This strain of dog developed into it's own recognized breed from pit dogs who's type was typically small and compact.
    Size Males 14-16" 28-38lbs Females 13-15" 24-34lbs
    Color Brindle, blue, fawn, red, black or white. Both liver and tri are serious faults

Working Pit Bulldog
    Although the APBT is often called Bulldog or Pit Bulldog, this isn't to be confused with the breed Working Pit Bull. This breed does descend from the APBT but it is a newly recognized breed that also has the inclusion of other breeds like American Bulldog & Dogue De Bordeaux. Size Not to exceed 135lbs
    Color Any color with the exception of Merle

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    The Dogue De Bordeaux not quite sure how there adding this to bully breeds as it predates the now extinct bulldog. Both the Dogues and Doguins(now extinct) are pre 1400's. and Dogo Argentino I have a hard time with since very little in it's creation came from bully breeds as they made up 2 of the 16 breeds used to create them.

Have seen a lot listing CC's as a bully breed also and again another I have a hard time seeing the connection.
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I didn't include Dogue De Bordeaux I consider them a mastiff type myself.

I believe the Dogo Argentino was included in that visual because they are easily mistaken for large Pit Bulls by the general public (very similar type) and their creation breeds include bulldog, boxer and bull terrier as well as the Cordoba Fighting which was itself mastiff/bull/terrier breed (kind of like the Working Pit Bulldog). Not sure all 16 breeds? Don't think I heard of that many but there at least a few bully breeds.

We discussed Cane Corso previously in a Pit Bull thread maybe?
  5. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    It might be worth mentioning to whoever made that graphic to never use the term "Scott American Bulldog" to any real fancier of the breed. ;)

Messr Alan Scott's only real noteworthy acts were those of stealing dogs and failing to pay his debts lol.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Mr.Bulldog likes this.
    Lol good to know
  7. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Hehe use "Standard" or "Hybrid" instead ;)

Otherwise its like bringing up that relative nobody talks about...

Edit: Actually now I think about it Vito Alu (Braveheart Kennels) is very close to taking that title off Mr Scott lol.
  8. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    My mistake it's 10. Though the Cordoba, is a bit different even from today's mindset of a bully breed. There a mastiff bred with 3 bully breeds which they kept breeding for aggression. even the pit dogs where bred away from HA, they where bred for total Aggression.

But in this we most likely will always have different lines of thought as I look at Bully as a type and then as Molosser breeds and then as individual breeds.
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    That's how I class them all as molossers. Different types within the group.

Yeah they were created from mastiff & bully breeds that's why I said they were like Working Pit Bulldog maybe not the temperament but I meant the breed types used. The same with bandogs.
  10. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I just want to say how much I admire you folks understanding this stuff. I've had cats for a million years and still fuzzy on breeds. Trying to figure out where my Callie fits in is interesting.
  11. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Present your dog then and lets get started, many hands and all that... :D
  12. Winston318

Winston318 New Member

Name:
    Winston
    Do you not consider Cane Corso's and other Mastiffs like Presa Canario's to be bully breeds
  13. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Cane Corso I do not, yes many do but it was the recreation of a working class Neo and actually very little to do with the bully breeds.
    Look at a working Neo that's cropped or a working class DDB that's cropped both you will find look similar to a bully breed but are zero bully breed.

Closest mastiff breed which is also a bully breed would be the Dogo.