The Dreaded Shed Grooming

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by AIIan, Mar 20, 2017.

1. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan

The Dreaded Shed

.......Hasnt been anything to worry about, in fact Everest appears to generally be casting less than our wee Westie used too.

She is 10 months old now, born in May last year, so that would have been her first winter (and expected first blow given its now spring-ish and a lot of other malamute owners are reporting shedding season).

Just wondering if she didnt develop her full coat this year, i would say she has a slightly longer than average coat for the breed, but not a "woolly" so i was expecting carnage and it to date hasnt been much of a bother at all.

Perhaps i should be thankful for the reprieve this year.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If they are anything like Gsd’s,24/7, 365 days a year. I don’t envy you.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    ... and Beagles. Worse than any of my previous breeds because their needle-like hairs weave their way into clothes and carpets. So hard to remove, it's easier to settle for an all over marle effect!
  5. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    I have been reliably informed and seen the youtube videos that its a 2 x yearly affair where its clumps and handfuls of hair at a time.

You never know, might get a jumper out of it.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I vacuum at least once every day but I have little herds of sheep running around the living room, hiding under tables, chairs and every corner it can find.
    I put some out in an old whisk and the birds take it when they're building nests, though the garden looks like something from a cowboy film dog hair blowing round like tumbleweed.

As for the van it’s like a constant snowstorm.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    A friend of mine once worked in a show Chow kennel. The owner saved all os the clean combings in a sack, and had sweaters made up from the wool.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    You will be having a hairy holiday in the campervan then!
    What is even worse, I am allergic to dogs! Around the house, I live in quilted nylon gilets, and those shiny tracksuit tops, - the hair doesn't stick to them.
    We have quite a dense white Spirea in the front garden into which I push handfuls of hair for the birds. It can look a bit raggy in the Winter when there are no leaves and all the bits they have left are on show.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    We did try car Hoovers which was useless but a hacksaw blade and rubber curry comb works wonders.

Some of the jumpers look quite nice, though not sure what happens when they get wet .
  10. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    apparently its 8x warmer than wool.....comes in any colour as long as its grey-ish
  11. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    I'd love to see you guys in your knitted dog hair jumpers.....
    I think we should all get together and see who has the best one..
    Poor Carole might be a wee bit itchy though...lol
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Lexi, my Little One, had sort of a medium coat although she had almost like a lion's mane and a long-haired fluffy tail. She never blew her coat but she moulted which had a habit of killing vacuum cleaners.

Pereg was short-haired but she moulted AND blew her coat - lumps could be just lifted out. Sleeping on a dark-coloured duved cover or summer sheet ended up Pereg-coloured. I had to put them in the dryer to try to remove at least some of the hairs before putting in the washing machine.

Between the two of them I managed to kill two special dog coat vacuum cleaners, plus a re-chargable vacuum cleaner. The only thing that really shifted dog hair was a rubber broom.

Tikva? Ickle Tikki Tikva has a short coat like velvet and she just does not seem to moult. [I do hope that is not famous last words...]
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Tikva's coat sounds similar to Chico's.

Pepe of course, being a poodle, doesn't shed his coat. It just grows and grows and grows.

I wouldn't fancy a jumper made from the hair of any of the dogs I have had no matter how thoroughly it was washed - they've all rolled in too many dead fish and sheep droppings!

Someone I once knew used to like to pull hairs out of my border collie Blodwen for making flies for fishing.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet - do not forget Tikva is a cross Dachshund/Minpin. I never saw her sire but I did see a number of Minpins around the Moshav from where she came. Her dam was the biggest standard Doxie I have ever seen - feeding eight puppies and still almost obese?

Whether Tikva was the smallest, I do not know. I just saw Sonia [the mother] and eight tiny puppies. 4 male and 4 female, and I know when I saw them that Tikva was going to be mine.

Her coat is really like velvet and she does not shed.

As for jumpers made from dog hair - do they not smell of wet dog if they get wet?

And this is where I admit to chucking my hair when I have charged up my clippers and "cut" my hair - I chuck it over the wall and de boidies make their nests from them!
  15. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    i cant imagine it would smell worse than wet sheep?
  16. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    The worst smells my dogs have caused me to endure are Witty rolling on a dead mole, and Jessie (cocker spaniel from years ago) who dug up Edna, a deceased pet rat, and left her on the settee.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave, Malka and Janet like this.
    I wish we had a range of choices on the Like button. Ugh! would be more appropriate.
    Eddie's worst ever, 'roll in', was when we had something like 20 traveller caravans occupying the sports pitches for several weeks. I had to wrap him in a towel to save the car on the way home. It still makes my skin creep.
  18. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    untitled.png No excuses now...
  19. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Different colours too... ebbc09a1a0c46c33deb7305739225fe4.jpg
  20. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Well, you'd have to be very keen, that's all I can say! I just had a look on Amazon (out of curiosity, not with the intention of buying - I'd have to wait a long time to accumulate enough hair from my Chihuahua to make anything!) and the book is now obviously out of print. The second hand ones for sale range from the bargain price of £69 up to one at £377.20! So I think I'll give it a miss!

Mind you, I would love something made from those Leonbergers - what a gorgeous colour.
  21. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    CaroleC likes this.
    Well I had hoped we were all keen enough to knit one...Never mind..
    OMG £377.20.....I wonder how they came up with the 20p....
    I did have a laugh at your post......very funny....
    My fav was the Leonberger cardigan too, for a lady of course.....