The hunt for the perfect shampoo Grooming

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by katygeorge, Jun 9, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy

The hunt for the perfect shampoo

As many of you already know Phoebe has skin problems, they are the bain of our life. Her problem is that she makes to much yeast on her skin and ears and this causes a problem and sometimes a secondary infection. Our previous plan of action was bath a fortnight with malaseb, yeast eater supplement in feed, weekly ear cleaning. We would get the odd outbreak where baths and ear cleaning had to be done more often and there would usually be a course of antibiotics. As this plan worked we didnt see a reason to change it untill we lost our pet insurance :(. So since February we have been working on a new plan to get Phoebe ok without so much expensive help from the vets. Going grain free has worked pretty well and ive been able to stop the yeast eater supplements and went 3 weeks between baths with the use of our homemade 10% tea tree spray. I then tried the new shampoo, its tea tree and should be amazing for her skin i use tea tree products myself and think they are great. But no Phoebe has come out in hives so were on piriton for a week and will no doubt end up with an expensive course of antibiotics as its durin these outbreaks she gets the secondary infection. I have a couple of reasons i dont want to use malaseb 1) i get 3 baths to a bottle, 2) it doesnt lather, 3) she doesnt feel or smell that clean after. 4) you have to try and leave it on for 10 mins making bath time no fun for phoebe, 5) its really expensive

Does anybody have any recommendations for a really natural shampoo? Mum thinks i should try find some homemade tea tree shampoo as we know its not the tea tree shes allergic to its what else is in the shampoo. I have a feeling the solution is not going to be of the shelf in a shop but maybe some wonder product out there somewhere.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Could you try adding some coconut oil to her diet? You could even apply it to her coat directly - lots of people apply it to their hair.

It is a natural anti-fungal :)
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    yeah but then i have a greasy dog, i need something to wash her as shes greasy enough already
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I would leave it on overnight and then wash, perhaps with a homemade shampoo :)
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
  9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    how can i make shampoo. found lots of natural shampoos on above link as i thought of making my own but how do i get the soap base minus the nastys
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    or this
    If your dog has dry skin
    If you bathe your dog more frequently, or if your dog tends to have sensitive, itchy, or dry skin, you might want to try a homemade dog shampoo that will bring some degree of relief. Adding ingredients such as aloe vera gel or glycerine can help relieve itchy and dry skin. Glycerine is a sugar-based, water-soluble alcohol compound, much less frequently found around the house than vinegar or baking soda, but can easily be found in drug stores, pharmacies, and online.

[​IMG]

A chihuahua taking a bath by Shutterstock. " sl-processed="1" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; outline: none; color: rgb(70, 165, 70); text-decoration: underline; -webkit-transition: none 0ms ease; transition: none 0ms ease;">

A chihuahua taking a bath by Shutterstock. " sl-processed="1" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; outline: none; color: rgb(70, 165, 70); text-decoration: underline; -webkit-transition: none 0ms ease; transition: none 0ms ease;">

It is recommended you not stuff a tiny dog into a pot for a bath. Amusing, but impractical. A chihuahua taking a bath by Shutterstock.

A typical recipe for homemade dog shampoos for dogs with sensitive skin involves:

• 1 quart of water
    • 1 cup of baby shampoo / non-toxic dish soap
    • 1 cup of white vinegar /apple cider vinegar
    • 1/3 cup of glycerine
    • 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
    This homemade dog shampoo recipe’s addition of glycerine and aloe vera provide soothing elements for dogs with sensitive or dry skin.
  12. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    One of my Akita’s suffered terrible skin problem, I tried no end of stuff, then someone suggested i try Oatmeal and baking soda Shampoo, (I made my own)
    ) 1 cup oatmeal -1/2 cup baking soda- 2 pints warm water.
    Grind Oatmeal to a powder in a food processor, Pour into a bowl, then stir in the baking soda add the warm water and stir until well mixed.
    Wet your dog before use , leave it on for about 5mins before rinsing.

I rinsed of with a mixture of Bay-Rhum -Benzyl benzoate and Glycerine I found it really helped him.

We also used to use Bay Rum Cologne and water mixed in equal quantities as a coat dressing, gave a beautiful shine and smell.
  14. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    that sounded great till i saw baby shampoo, phoebes allergic to baby shampoo. Think this may be harder than i thought
  15. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    do you think it will actually clean her? phoebe gets a coat of grease so that when you stroke her you can rub you fingers together and get little black rolls of this delightful stuff.

the more i look at homemade the more i find they either start of with baby shampoo or washing up liquid! or sound like they wouldnt actually clean this greasy residue off her. The shampoos i found on pets pyjamas sound ok and are not to expensive so maybe worth a try. They are a few that say they do NOT contain parabens, phthalates, phosphates, sulphates,petrochemicals or PEGS. I dont know what that stuff is but most of the sensitive shampoos seem to promote the fact they dont have these things in.

Shes having a bath tonight but in hibiscrub to try and stop the secondary infection coming through, i hate this stuff it leaves us both with dry skin but i have to stop the hives getting infected.
  16. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I don't bath mine I have mobile unit round 3 times a year, they bath my dogs for me, I think they use head to tail shampoo but not 100% sure I know my 3 smooth fur dogs shampoois different to the broken fur ones, but is the same brand.
    The bottles tops look like taps & there are different coloured bottles.
  18. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I think they're talking about the eco friendly washing up liquid such as Method and the last link only had about 4 ingredients but I'm glad it's not something I have to worry about tbh my lot get washed in Herbal Essences.
  19. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    me to, this is a pain in the bum. Im so indecisive because i dont actually understand what the nasty bits are, but learning lots today. Looks like soap free is something i should be looking at and that actually makes sense to me as im allergic to soap but what all these parabens are i have no idea
  20. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    katygeorge likes this.
    parabens are preservatives to extend shelf life