The outcrossing of sealyhams-thoughts? Discussions

Discussion in 'Sealyham Terrier' started by Luke, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

The outcrossing of sealyhams-thoughts?

Have been following the "project" of people such as Harry Parson's and others within the working sealyham club, of outcrossing sealyhams to breed back in a lot of working drive and to get the dogs a bit like the original terriers they were. Mainly outcrossed to true to type working jack russells, lots from the Foxwarren kennel, and loosely reffered too as "Ilmer Terriers" (for obvious reasons). Bringing in new blood to a vulnerable breed, and aiming to increase workability and go for a less exadgerated look, can't be a bad thing surely? The outcross more than anything DO look like pure sealyhams too.
    And very cute!
    http://mysealyhams.com/
    Thoughts? Would be interested to hear them.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    What is the current market for working terriers of any and/or no breed at the moment?
  4. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Cant remember the last time I clapped eyes on a Sealyham:grin:
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    For me that would have been 2009, when one won Crufts.
  6. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    My dad had a Sealyham as a young lad and man. That would of been the late twenties early thirties he used it for working and had a basket on the front of his bike and the dog sat in there and off they went together.
  7. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Sporting Lucas terriers have Selyham in them as well.
  8. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    In Lakelands one of the longtime breeders has just registered a working Lakeland terrier with the KC. He is listed as Parents un verified.

This is a breeder who breeds both time of Lakelands and has done through the generations. He will know more about the pedigrees of his dogs than a lot of people.

The process was long winded and costly so not really to be done simply for financial gain.

He has don eit to introduce new blood to a small gene pool
  9. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Can be seen quite a lot here, Harry Parsons lives in my town and his daughter is my G-daughters best friend :grin:
  10. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Hildegard something I think she was called? Cracking dog. The prize she won for getting best in show at the Swedish World dog show was better than Crufts' prize though as the owner won a brand new car! :grin:

When I did agility with Cherry there was a lady with a Sealyham cross in the class. Actually that class would have been enought to put anyone off terriers for life if you were considering one-what with Cherry and the Sealyham cross and the Parson JRT who could all be quite feisty :107:

When I took Parker to his class at this agility school all the dogs used to have a run around together at the end of the class. I said if this happened with Cherry and the other terriers in her class they would all have ended uplooking like those hairless dogs :009:
  11. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    Lucas Terriers were created by crossing Sealyhams and Norfolk Terriers. Ilmer was the kennel name of Jocelyn Lucas, who thought that Sealyhams had become too exaggerated.

Their history is facinating

http://www.lucasterrier.co.uk/history.html
  12. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    EFBE'S HIDALGO AT GOODSPICE, call name Charmin:-o
  13. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Thankyou-that's the one!
  14. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I groom one every 4-5 weeks :) She is a nice dog :)
  15. jandej

jandej New Member

Name:
    Jan
    There once was a time, when working Sealyham's and working , roughcoated, shortlegged Jack Russell type terriers looked very much the same. Eddie Chapman should know. Crossbreeding with Russell's today wouldn't be my first choice, as you could loose type and bone real easy I think. And there are still strains of working Sealyham found in Britain today, so why not go for the real thing ?
  16. Jacqueline Simpson

Jacqueline Simpson New Member

Name:
    Jacqueline
    I have the rear legs of the grand-daughter ( not technical term!) of Hidalgo Goodspice (Charmin) pressed firmly on my thigh as we sit on the sofa. One of us is relaxing upside down, as usual.
    Absolutely wonderful - they should be part of more people's lives.
    4 years so far and already enough material for a book!
    Very thankful to Lisa and Janet for allowing us to have Kamryan Coco Chanel and for her to be "just" a pet, though I hope we are promoting the breed . Now known in this part of Wales as Bronwen Coco.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Jacqueline. I hope you get a response to your post, but the thread is from 2012. Feel free to post photos of Bronwen Coco though.