Thinking about getting a Clumber Spaniel, tips needed. General Chat

Discussion in 'Clumber Spaniel' started by tilskie, Jun 17, 2011.

1. tilskie

tilskie New Member

Name:
    Tilskie

Thinking about getting a Clumber Spaniel, tips needed.

Hello, My name is Sharon and I lost my beloved 14 year old border Collie 16 months ago, when I lost Barney it broke my heart and I said never again but here I am thinking I want a dog in my life again, Hubby and I have done alot of research and decided a Clumber Spaniel ticks all the boxes for us, just wondering if anyone here has one or any tips about having one in the family.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
  4. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Google 'Sedgehurst Clubers' I think they are in somerset I don't know that much about them but have read good things about that breeder, so might be worth contacting.

HTH
  5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Hi Sharon, welcome to Dogsey! I'm in Somerset so not far from you - in fact I was at the charity dog show in Yeovil today :)
  6. tilskie

tilskie New Member

Name:
    Tilskie
    Hello and thank you for the replies, we found a breeder in Bristol and pick up not 1 but 2 clumbers on Tuesday!! Very excited, will be going to the pets at home in Yeovil tomorrow Sue :)
  7. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    I do hope that you haven't jumped the gun here. Clumbers are prone to all sorts of problems, and a breeder that will let you have two at such short notice may be a questionable breeder.
  8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I'm going to echo what Alf has said. It's unsusual for a good breeder to have two puppies immediately available, as most of them have a waiting list.

You also need to be very careful with Clumbers and insist both parents are hip and eye scored, especially as the Clumber has one of the highest (and therefore potentially most damaging) hip scores of all breeds.

I would also like to warn that there are many puppy dealers around who take puppy farmed dogs, and pass them off as their own (or even admit they are bred elsewhere). Avoid with the biggest bargepole you can find!

Then there is the unusual situation that they are willing to let you have two. Almost ALL ethical breeders with their puppies' future welfare in mind, will NOT sell two from the same litter. There are far too many potential behavioural issues which can occur further along the line.

Did you find this breeder through the Clumber Spaniel club?
    Is the breeder willing to give you lifetime support for the pups, and willing and able to take them back at any time in the future if things don't work out, or your circumstances change?

These are just a few of the questions I would be asking.
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    HMmmmmmmmm not seen any breeders on the KC website, Clumber club in Bristol, there is someone with a litter in Dorset.

Two puppies from the same litter a recipe for disaster (plenty of threads on this here) and it is VERY unusual to have two from a litter of Clumbers available.

Hip and eye testing is a must, these would not be by any chance advertised as WORKING Clumbers would they?
  10. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    Oh dear Oh dear. I think I've found them :-(
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Right the only litter available in Bristol right now that is being advertised has the hip score of the sire listed as 6:6 when in actual fact it is 4:8. The bitch has been hip scored 4:4.

However this litter is advertised as out of two different bitches. They are not eye tested according to the KC health tester.
  12. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    They seem to have two litters at the moment from the same sire, the other bitch has score of 6:6
    Also have two Lab litters too
  13. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
  14. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    Hi
    How did it go, did you get the pups?
  15. tilskie

tilskie New Member

Name:
    Tilskie
    Hello, yes I did get the pups, they are not from the same litter, i had one from each litter as some one pointed out there were two litters, Also I found the breeder to be extremely helpful and informative about the breed, she answered all my questions fully, she also provides lifetime support and has asked me to keep in touch with photos and progress etc, plus she said to get in touch if there are any problems in the future, my daughter is a veterinary nurse so we took the pups straight to the practice where she works and her boss said the pups are in good health, eyes look good and clear and breeder had provided all relevant paperwork, so hopefully all is ok, oh and pups are lovely too!! Thanks for all your advice :)
  16. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Good luck, having two pups at the same age(ish) is a challenge!
  17. Alf

Alf New Member

Name:
    rona
    So, where are the pictures? ;-)
  18. Stevel

Stevel New Member

Name:
    Steve
    And two Clumbers especially as they are challenging at the best of times.

Self willed, head strong accompanied by copious all year round moulting of hair, oh and I forgot the selective hearing they suffer from.

But once smitten ....... you'll find they are gorgeous dogs even if you have to adapt your life to suit them.

Hope it is going OK

Here's my two

[​IMG]

Steve
  19. tilskie

tilskie New Member

Name:
    Tilskie
    Sorry Steve I have only just seen your reply, your selective hearing comment made me giggle as I have never had a dog ignore me like these two when it suits them. Your two look lovely and I do believe mine have the same sire as yours, Sedgehurst Netherstowey?