Thinking about getting a Malamute - 1 instance of human aggression - Thoughts please! Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by yeti821, Jul 1, 2017.

1. yeti821

yeti821 New Member

Name:
    Les

Thinking about getting a Malamute - 1 instance of human aggression - Thoughts please!

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are thinking about getting a 2 year old, intact (we would get him neutered), Alaskan Malamute.

This dog is currently on his 3rd home. His first home didn't treat him very well (some abuse, we think), and his second home wanted to take him away from that situation, but they were in a bit over their head. The third home is a reputable Siberian Husky breeder. He is really knowledgeable about the breed, and wanted to give this dog a good home, but he has a cat, and the Malamute wants to eat it. The other issue is the new owner has 2 female Siberian huskies, and they are not pleased to be sharing their space with this new, young male. With a heavy heart, he has decided to rehome this dog. He has only had the dog for 2 weeks, and wants to rehome asap before the dog gets settles in any more.

The dog is really good, behaves well in the house, is crate trained, he's dog friendly, kid friendly, and very playful and fun.

There is one instance that worries me where he nipped his most recent owner. This is the story. The Malamute saw the cat and went for it, his owner intervened by grabbing him quickly and forcefully, the dog turned around and nipped him on the thumb. I saw the scab on his thumb and it was a pretty small mark. The owner thinks the dog was scared he was going to be hit, and tried to protect himself.

That said, it wasn't what I'd consider a severe dog bite, but a little nip. I reckon he was in an cat-killing state of mind and when he got grabbed that energy was redirected.

Based on this instance, I would really like to hear some thoughts from experienced Malamute owners whether they think this dog may exhibit more signs of human aggression, or could that have just been a one-off instance, due to being in a new home with new owners, and redirected pre-drive instinct?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Im afraid that is impossible to answer over the internet.
    Poor boy shoved from pillar to post, I guess it depends how much experience/knowledge you have with the breed, as he is going to need firm but careful handling and if you have the time to put in the work needed.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    That doesn't sound like human aggression in the slightest. Moreso redirected frustration/prey drive.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Pork1epe1 like this.
    Hi Les, welcome to the forum. I have no experience with Malamutes, but I have had quite a lot of dogs with a variety of problems over many years. Because of his background, I think it might take rather more than two weeks before anyone could form a true picture of this boy's temperament.
    Almost any breed, faced with the stress created by several changes of home, is likely to exhibit some degree of frustration. This should be not directed at humans, but accidents do happen, and the cat incident could well have been non intentional. This is a powerful breed, - is it actually the type of dog that you were looking for? You do not say whether you are experienced in handling working breeds. Would you be able to pick up on any warning signs, and not react in a way which might actually increase his anxiety? Have you had the opportunity to spend some time with him, and if so, do you feel as if you may be able to form a bond?
    Personally, I believe there are very few bad dogs, but there are a lot of misunderstood ones, and a good positive trainer or behaviourist would be able to help you to deal with any problems that you might encounter at the start. If you do have him, I wouldn't be in any rush to have him neutered. Wait till he is over his anxieties, has learned to trust you and accept your house as his home.
    Do let us know what you decide to do. It is a big decision, good luck if you do decide to go ahead.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree with the above, this boy is going to need a very experienced home, not particularly in the breed but with large dogs with issues, if as you say the previous owner could not keep he you have to ask why, he used the cat as a reason, but surely he should have known or found out if it was good with cats..... I don't think itsnaggression but redirected frustration,, this has to be addressed, as it could transfer to other things he may get frustrated with, I.e...food,toys, or simply something he does not want to do. Please make sure you are capable of taking this challenge on before you add to his constant home .
  7. yeti821

yeti821 New Member

Name:
    Les
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

This will be my first dog, but I have experience volunteering at animal shelters and dog-sitting for dog breeders and families going on vacation. So I have fairly diverse experience handling all different kinds of breeds, including some very troubled animals. Worse was a severely dog-aggressive pit-mix.

I'm fairly well versed in dog body language, and think I can take steps to control his environment enough to avoid putting him in a similar stressful situation.

I plan to do a few weeks "decompression" when he first comes to my home, followed by consultations with a professional trainer, and weekly obedience classes. I think with these steps, some time for him to feel safe and secure, and the right amount of exercise and mental stimulation that he can be a very happy, confident and well adjusted dog.

We have met him for about an hour, and really enjoyed him temperament and personality. He liked to play all kinds of games (chase, tug of war, fetch), but also liked just to be petted and cuddled. Just a really exuberant goofy dog, who needs some help with obedience and good manners.

Carole - i definitely agree with your suggestion not to have him neutered right away. I will take him in to the vet for a check up, but wait a few months until he feels more comfortable before fixing him.

Again, thanks for the information everyone. If we move forward I'm sure you'll see more of me on the forum as we start the training process.
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I would wait as long as possible before he is castrated, you need to know his temperament inside out first, if he is in any way nervous he will be much better off if he has ALL the hormones he can get in his system to balance out his confidence level. It's a false asssumption that castration fixes all a dogs problems, it doesn't , you can make a problem worse if you take away the only confidence boost he has naturally.

Good luck with him, you seem to be prepared for any problems
  9. yeti821

yeti821 New Member

Name:
    Les
    Well, we brought him home today. We're going to do a bit of a decompression while he gets the lay of the land. He was a champ during the car ride, and now he's just checking the place out & settling in. He is anxious & panting a lot, but I think that's to be expected with such a big change. We are just taking it easy.

His anxiety increases if my husband and I aren't in the same room. He's more comfortable if everyone stays together.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I hope it works out well. Poor boy must wonder where he is going to be living next week. I think you are right in giving time to find his feet. Are you keeping his name or having a fresh start? Opinions are divided about this. I keep names when they have come from happy homes, but rename dogs with an unknown past, - never know whether I'm doing it right.
  11. yeti821

yeti821 New Member

Name:
    Les

The name was extra challenging decision. He was originally named Thor, but his most recent home had renamed him Buddy.

I thought Thor was a cooler name, but I think he had a happier time as Buddy, it's what he's been called most recently, and I think being named Buddy, instead of Thor, will help people see him as the friendly dog he is. Buddy also rolls off the tongue a bit easier. So, we opted for Buddy.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Good luck with Buddy and I hope his "decompression" goes well and that he finally realises that he has a forever home.

I do not know anything about the breed but would like to make a couple of comments if I may.

Yesterday my little booger went for my foot. She is a mouther but with a very soft mouth and it is her way of saying Hello in the morning or when I come in if I have been out. She could hurt if she wanted to as she has typically strong Doxie jaws, but she has not so much as left a tiny bruise on my very thin skin since she grew out of puppy nipping. And the only other person she has mouthed - and with love - is my taxi driver who she adores. Other people who she loves just get the lovies.

Yesterday she was on the couch staring at a small beetle crawing on the floor and I knew she was preparing to pounce on it. Much as I dislike doing so I did not want her eating beetle so I, umm, deaded it. And the next thing I knew was a nipped toe. Because I had taken her prospective prey/game from her.

Time. That is what he needs. Time to get to know you both. Time to get to know his new home. And time to realise that you are not going to be another 'home' that will want to dispose of him.

And as much affection as he can cope with.

Just relax around him. Talk to him even if it is just "Buddy we/I are going into the kitchen but will be back in a minute". And let him follow you both around if possible so he can see where you go and then that you will be back to where you are.

Talk to him as if he were a small child, explaining where you are going/what you are going to do. He will not understand the words but he will understand your tone of voice and slowly, slowly, he will learn to trust you. At the moment he must be so confused but I think that by talking to him in a gentle voice, which should help him realise that he is a part of your family, will help him relax.
  13. Gregory L.

Gregory L. New Member

Name:
    Gregory L.
    [​IMG] THE NEW AGE -CREOLE BULLY
  14. Gregory L.

Gregory L. New Member

Name:
    Gregory L.