This might sound horrible Diet

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

This might sound horrible

But sometimes, like just a few minutes ago now, I wished I could just put a cupful of kibble into Tikva's bowl. But she probably would not have eaten it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    why does it sound awful. Many dogs thrive on kibble. If Tikva won't eat it, have you thought about a wet food for the days when you just need a rest?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I guess I just felt guilty. I know there are rare occasions when I have not defrosted the meat for her evening meal and had to resort to opening a can to add some of that with her vitamins and supplements - and veggies of course, and when ReminderFox pops up on my computer at 7pm to remind me that I have to get Tikki's food ready for 8pm I get all her vitamins and supplements ready - so really all I have to do ReminderFox nags me again is put this and that in her bowl - add hot water - add a couple of handfuls of defrosted mixed veggies - cut up her meat [today it was two turkey hearts] and add that - I mean it really is not that much work,

And she loves her food. And I love knowing exactly what she has.

Her 10am breakfast this morning was quite a large chunk of frozen turkey neck. Chomble chomble chomble.

I really do like feeding raw because I made that decision when I learned about it for Pereg and how it might help her as it had no additives. I am not fanatic - I would never tell anyone what they should eat, or what their family should eat, or what their pets should eat - but not feeling 100% for the moment the thought of measuring things, putting this and that into her bowl - and all the rest - for just the moment I wondered why I was doing all that.

Just to save a few minutes work?

The little booga had scoffed it up in a fraction of the time it took me to put it in her bowl!

Do I love her? I reckon I must do!
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know I have just answered you and of course I know that good kibble - and wet food - are both good.

Of course I know that Tikki would not starve if I just put kibble in her bowl, but having learned a lot thanks to Tarimoor from Dogsey I honestly do not think I could ever do any more than I currently do.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think I know what you mean because I am a vegetarian - but do have occasional lapses around smoked bacon and Bavarian ham!
    I'm afraid that raw feeding has too just many problems for me. Eddie has only recently started to eat raw human quality minced meat. He will not eat uncooked chicken or fish, and raw meaty bones just lead to fighting. Due to this, and the greasy mess on the carpets, one has to gnaw away on the driveway, and one in the garden. Not ideal in the Winter, and of course they finish their chomping at different times too.
    I also doubt my ability to maintain a stock of, and accurately portion, the required variety and percentage of organ meat, meaty bones and muscle meat. So, they have a spoonful of yoghurt, with probiotic and a sprinkle of bran flakes for their breakfast. (I know - bran flakes do contain sugar - but it is so little, and they do love bran flakes).
    Lunch consists of a variety of green and orange boiled vegetables, served on a quality grain free kibble, and dressed with 100 grammes of salmon, duck or lamb wet tray food. They also have Omega 3, 6, milk thistle, glucosamine C, and any medications hidden in this meal. Supper is as lunch, but with a different kibble variety, and without the additional tray food. I can only say, is it all seems to go down well.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I actually like the "performance" of getting Tikva's evening meal ready and knowing how she will try to dive into her bowl before I have even put it down! Unlike Pereg, who was much more ladylike and who would just sprawl on the floor watching me, Tikki gets really excited by the procedure.

Whether I feed the correct percentages of muscle meat/offal/bones - who knows? I certainly do not but I reckon I must be doing the right thing, especially as I am limited in what I can get so am probably playing it by ear. I think I add the correct vitamins and supplements though. Tikva is a really solid strong little girl so something must be right!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    A little bit more to add. Or maybe not? Raw feeding also depends on how a person can actually cope with handling raw meat. I have no problems and although even things like hearts and liver do not bother me, I still do not like handling ox lung - even though I know how nutritious it is and how much Pereg and now Tikva like it - and it is human consumption food after all - but faced with a 2 kilo lump in the sink which has to be cut and packed for individual meals does sometimes make me wonder.
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I don't believe in the BARF diet. I believe the only true raw diet for dogs is the Prey Model raw. Seeing those bowls half (or more than half) full of veggies pains me. With that said, I can't afford to feed a dog as big as Nigredo such a diet. He won't eat veggies and he doesn't need them and so BARF is not anything I would even attempt.

He's too fat. Always has been and always will be. It's something I'm willing to just deal with. I'll never get another dog and he seems okay for now. If his hips fail or if his organs fail due to his weight, I can only hope he will have lived a decent amount of time before that happens.

Brownie lived to be nearly 16 and never lost mobility or had organ failure. It was cancer in his snout that got him. I'm sure Nigredo won't be that lucky, but win some, lose some.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Each to his or her own Myra - and just as all people are different so are dogs, with their likes and dislikes. :)

Some people hate salads, some hate all vegetables, and no doubt some dogs also hate them. But other people enjoy salads and vegetables and so do some dogs!

It is like everything in life. I do not like pizza but that does not mean that I object to people who do!