Tips on my new mastweiler please!! General Chat

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by lees, Aug 25, 2010.

1. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I think the OP sounds very sensible in her approach, if she wanted this cross is it any different to wanting a breed that isn't KC recognised or a pup that isn't KC reg?

As per the two breeds, in size and build it's not a ridiculous cross.

I hope the OP enjoys her dog :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Dunno if it's been said already, but take out insurance with a minimum cover of £4,000 per condition per year.
  4. Paws4Life

Paws4Life New Member

Name:
    Amaya
    Lol mine is very drooley hes a cross of Mastiff and Rottie... Low energy he can only fetch for 30 mimutes before plopimg on the ground and Looks like a rottie mix. great dog though.
  5. mark nicholson

mark nicholson New Member

Name:
    mark
    Azz likes this.
    this is benson mastiff/rottie "mastweiler". he is one and i got him from a rescue centre. he is a big softy. he woofs at sheep etc but i think its because he has not been anywhere until now. there are two mastweiler webstes (google mastweiler uk) where they explain why they cross these two breeds. i have to say i hadnt heard of mastweilers until after getting benson who was described just as a mastiff cross, but his temperment etc matches what they describe to a tee. i feel soooo lucky to him. i had a gsd called nero for 10 yrs until dec when he suddenly took ill and i lost him. benson seems a lot smarter and willing to learn than nero (and he was a smart dog).
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome, Mark and Benson.
    Carole, Tweed, and Eddie the Beagle.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sorry to hear about Nero :cry:

Bensons sounds delightful and well done for rescuing him, and Pereg and I would like to welcome you both to Breedia.

I look forward to seeing photographs of him. :)
  8. mark nicholson

mark nicholson New Member

Name:
    mark
    thankyou for the welcome. ill post some photos once i take some more. have just sent off a dna test so hopeful i will get some believable results in 2-3 weeks. ive seen mixed reports on the success of these. anyone done one? did the results seem a plausible? my worst fear is being told he is Chihuahua crossed with keeshond or similar
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Well not to worry you I know someone that had the DNA test done & the results came back as 75% Chihuahua, but her dogs looks like Staffy/Labrador/JRT mix, so she did another test on her other dog & that too came back 75% Chihuahua, she then contacted the rescue home she got the brothers from & told them, they were not surprised at all.
  10. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    CaroleC likes this.
    Past the parents both being purebreds, DNA test can be pretty sketchy at times, the more mixes there is the worst the results can be.
    I don't really see much of a bonus to either breed in a BM x Rottie mix, so past a good pup from 2 breeds that are both natural guardians, great with family, and generally speaking great with kids, I would not intentionally mix the 2.
    There both great breeds, just don't see a upside of mixing the 2.