To people who own Labradors - Why did you choose them? Questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by kammi_sparky123, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    I love my O/H's lab. I've been out wildfowling with them and to see her in action is truly amazing! She knows exactly what she is doing and sits absolutely still by his side watching for birds flying over - and usually spots them first too.

Watching her leap over creeks and swim accross huge gutters and mark her birds is just awesome to watch. She works to commands too, and just makes it look easy.

She's one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever met. She never comes over as all 'anxious' to please - in fact she definitely gives the impression of being quite regal and regards most humans as slightly stupid :)

She's very different to a lot of field trial labs I have met and also different to the pet labs.

:017: Don't know how much truth there is in this - probably only a smidgen - but I read once that labs came about by crossing Newfoundland type water dogs with foxhounds, to get a more refined dog with a better nose.

I bet it wasn't quite as straightforward as that! However, it does explain why some labs that are bred just to run in s traight line and jump huge walls en route look very foxhoundy and some show lines are almost like little smooth-coated Newfies (ir you look at the old photos of Newfies)

:007: I think my view on labs has been utterly blinkered by the Wildfowl Queen now though! Having seen her do her stuff, I am just smitten with her type and work!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Great pic there labradored! When I was young and stupid (as opposed to wot I am now old and stupid) I thought all Labs were that light colour.

However I digress - when my two lads (now in their 30s) were tiny nippers and I was getting a dog and fancied a lab I was told - labrador pup will make the kids more crazy and the kids will make the labrador more crazy! And I've never forgotten that for some reason.

I love them. But I have to say some of the most boisterous dogs I've met have been Labs. Well and Boxers as well but they don't have the 'sweep everything off the table with your tail' prob that labs have (or at least they didn't dunno now what happens with Boxers since tail cropping was outlawed?)

Second most 'fruitcake' dog in my neighbourhood here is a big blonde lab - Chanel! We warn each other if we've seen it and know it's 'coming' lol! It's almost had me flat on my back a few times. But is GOOD AS GOLD with my little minpin - acts like she's her pup. And also have to say after she's tried flattening you with her paws on your shoulders she immediately throws herself onto her back for you to tickle her tummy! Who wouldn't like a dog like that!
  4. Roxanne Yap

Roxanne Yap New Member

Name:
    roxie
    Hummer was given to us by a friend. We didn't want a large dog back then because we have a baby in the house. Eventually, we learned that labs can be the most adorable of creatures. we're happy Hummer is part of our family.
  5. Moyra

Moyra New Member

Name:
    Moyra
    Speaking in general terms, you cannot find a more gentle dog than a Labrador when treated and trained right.
  6. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Fantastic nature - good size - not too big or small - loving - easy to train - great with the family.
  7. ashtucky

ashtucky New Member

Name:
    Ashleigh
    CaroleC likes this.
    Labradors are super intelligent breed, they are just often misunderstood. They are as dopey as they are smart. So any lab really needs to be trained properly otherwise they get extremely distracted. They love purpose! And in my opinion can be one of the most affectionate breeds. Not to mention they're photogenic.

This is my girl Lucy. My second lab.

Attached Files:

8. SierraValleyLabs

SierraValleyLabs New Member

Name:
    Jon Reid
    i chose labs originally because of their excellent train-ability and inherent hunting ability. We duck, pheasant and quail hunt. We also do hunt competition.
  9. SierraValleyLabs

SierraValleyLabs New Member

Name:
    Jon Reid
    CaroleC likes this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]