TOP URGENT-They want to Amputate my dog leg Health

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Emanuele Petz, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Emanuele Petz

Emanuele Petz New Member

Name:
    Emanuele

TOP URGENT-They want to Amputate my dog leg

Dear All I need urgent advise. Maximus developed a big leg infection which months of strong antibitiocs and antifungus did not cure. See the picture attached, he has developed a 2nd wound with white liquid so doctor things must amputate the leg and it is no hope. Anyone has an advise ??? We have a few days left. His leg is currently totally covered by a big bandage and I even wonder if it is proper. The biopsy tests are negative, only find E.Coly and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
    PLEASE HELP WE ARE DEEPLY SAD !

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Janet and CaroleC like this.
    OUCH, poor thing!!!
    Most dogs adapt to having three legs wonderfully and get around perfectly fine.

If its been going on for months and not improving, you have to ask yourself is him suffering through more months of pain really worth it when there is another option right there?
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    I can understand why such a diagnosis must be a shock for you, but as Erin says, dogs seem to adapt very well to three legs, and it must be a better option than being in pain.

Is there another vet you can see for a second opinion?

I hope it works out well for you and your dog.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Janet likes this.
    I am so sorry Emanuele, what an awful decision you have to make.
    I can only agree with the other posters, your dog would be out of pain, and I'm sure your vet must think that this would be preferable to the pain your pet must be feeling.
    I have seen dogs having their legs amputated due to trauma, and it always amazed me the way they come round from the anaesthetic - and just stand up and walk! Instant acceptance, with none of the hang-ups that we would have. Dogs really are amazing.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so sorry to read this and wish so much I could help. All I can say is please do not let him suffer, however bad it makes you feel.