Training trouble General Chat

Discussion in 'American Bulldog' started by B Bowen, Jan 23, 2017.

1. B Bowen

B Bowen New Member

Name:
    Brooke

Training trouble

I'm having the hardest time potty training my 11 weeks old American Bulldog. It's much harder than with my other dog. We do the bell on the door. She gets that ringing the bell will get her outside, but she still goes to the bathroom inside. I know she is still a puppy, but she bites a lot and I can't get her to stop.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    B Bowen likes this.
    Your pup is still very young. Each dog is an individual. The bell technique is a good one. Like I said, she is very young and shouldn't be expected to learn all this right away. When she bites, simply make a yelping noise and stop playing with her.
  4. Mary-sorrel

Mary-sorrel New Member

Name:
    Mary-sorrel Avenoso
    Hi I have an 11week old American bulldog x bullarab and am having the exact same problems. He is so clever. And teaching him sit, down, stay ect all the tricks took no time at all. But getting him to not bite and go potty out side is a mission. I mist have had "why did I get a puppy thoughts" Atleast 100 times.
    Have you had any luck yet?
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Chris B likes this.
    your expecting to much to soon, she is only 11 weeks old, some dogs learn quicker than others, but I wouldnt expect an 11 week old to be potty trained yet.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    A lot depends on the puppy and your consistency.
    Take her out more often to avoid accidents, don't wait for her to tell you she needs to go out.
    When outside use command toilet or whatever so she learns what that means.
    Set an alarm and take her out at night, if need be.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    At the beginning, take your puppy outside after every meal, every drink, every sleep and whenever she looks restless. Put a couple of choice treats in your pocket, and stand or sit outside with her until she obliges. When she does go, act as if you had won the jackpot, - using a high, happy voice, name the act 'Good Quicky', 'Good Poop', (or whatever your word is) - and give her one or two treats. They soon learn to go on the cue word in the hope of earning the reward.