Tweed Rainbow Bridge

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by CaroleC, Apr 19, 2015.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    fieldy, Malka and 6JRT's like this.

Tweed

Tweed Suited at Helidale, KCGCD (Gold), P. Beg. Ex. (Obed.), CD Ex. (Wkg. Trials).
    Autumn 2001 - 10th. April 2015.

I first saw Tweed at the local Dog's Home in June 2002, and fell for her scruffy bracken - coloured coat, and her cheeky look. Her 14 days were not up, so I asked if I could leave a deposit in case anyone else wanted her. The kennelmaid said, ' I don't think that's very likely'. It seemed an odd comment at the time. Tweed had been living rough in the 'Cultural Quarter' of Stoke, which must be where she perfected the skill of spreading out food wrappers, and holding them flat with her front feet, while she licked every trace of flavour from them - a knack that she retained for life.
    When we brought her home, her first trick was to scale our 6 foot fence panels, and make a bid for freedom up the nearest A road - totally oblivious to traffic - she was eventually arrested with the aid of a lorry driver and his wife. An aircraft cable tether seemed to be the answer, until she discovered that if she hit the limit hard enough, the pin on the buckle of her collar would give way, and she was free again (and without any ID). She even tried to squeeze through trellis that had shrubs attached. For the first two years that we had her, she was only ever let off the lead with a trailing line, to which was attached a drilled 4 x 4 lump of wood.
    It was essential that I did something to try to make her easier to live with, so we joined a training class and started on the Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme. In spite of her wilful nature, Tweed was quite a smart worker, and soon got her Bronze, Silver and Gold awards. Our next challenge was competition obedience, and once I got my act (and nerves) together, Tweed proved to be quite good at that too.
    BestPal.JPG
    One of our proudest moments was winning the club trophy for the most points gained in the year Nov2010.JPG
    We then decided to give Working Trials a try - always a risky proposition as working in a large field tended to bring out the Lurcher side of her nature. However, at 9 1/2 years old, she qualified CD Ex gaining full marks on her jumps. Another of our proud moments was the day that we met another dog walker who had lost her car keys in about a quarter of an acre of 6 inch grass banking. I let Tweed sniff her hand, and set her to search. In just a couple of minutes, she poked her nose to the ground, and looked back at me - she had found them.
    Tweed was certainly never an easy dog to manage. She remained what Charles calls 'a free spirit', and lived her life to the full - right to the end. It was a shock to find that her body couldn't keep up any longer.
    Run free my love - no one can stop you now.
    Tweed Paddling.JPG

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I am really sorry to hear about Tweed, I know how very hard it is to say goodbye We have to take on the pain to free them from theirs. Our last act of love for them and the most difficult.x
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    So sorry to hear this news. Lurchers are very special dogs.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Tweed you were a real cutie R.I.P XX
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    So sorry Carole. I prayed for her every night. And I still talk about her as I do about Pereg every night. But Pereg was nowhere near as clever as Tweed was
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry for your loss Carole :(

Run free Tweed x
  8. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    I'm so sorry to hear about Tweed. RIP lovely girl!
  9. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    CaroleC likes this.
    Only just read this Carole.she was a beauty.bet you were so proud.x
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks Ju. Such a naughty dog, but it still feels so quiet without her. She has left a big hole in our lives.
  11. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    CaroleC likes this.
    I bet.bless..she looked full of character. You never get two the same . doesn't she look at you so adoringly in the photo above! Perfect match carol