Unusual markings!(Weimaraner) General Chat

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by cara2002, Dec 18, 2010.

1. cara2002

cara2002 New Member

Name:
    Cara

Unusual markings!(Weimaraner)

my new weimie puppy is 10 weeks on wednesday and we have noticed that half way down her tail she has quite a few white hairs!!!
    being that she has excellent pedigree and her mum or dad didnt have this i am wondering why she has?! do you think she will grow out of it?
    if not, does anyone know if this will make a difference if i decide to show her :neutral:

any comments please :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I don't know if she'll grow out of it. It could be recessive from further down one of the lines, I know they can sometimes have white patches on their chest.
    I honestly don't know if it will affect her chances if shown.
  4. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    You would need to read the standard. It may be that white hairs are highly undesireable but I really dont know. You can access it from the KC website.

My dog had ginger arm pits until he was at least over a year :grin: Never mattered in the ring though...
  5. cara2002

cara2002 New Member

Name:
    Cara
    awwww, bless.
    Lovely thanks for that i will look it up! i am hoping she will grow out of it!
    :)
  6. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    From the KC standard:

Colour
    Preferably silver grey, shades of mouse or roe grey permissible; blending to lighter shade on head and ears. Dark eel stripe frequently occurs along back. Whole coat gives an appearance of metallic sheen. Small white mark permissible on chest. White spots resulting from injuries not penalised.

After an injury, whatever colour the dog, the hair can often grow back in permanently white. Maybe she was bitten in this area by a littermate, in which case the mark shouldn't be penalised but it sounds as though it possibly would be penalised for showing if it was more in the nature of a natural white area.
  7. Tegs_mum

Tegs_mum New Member

Name:
    Katie
    I was going to ask if it could be from a previous injury, I was talking to the owner of a black lab who has a white patch on his bum which was from an absess.
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Are they on the top of the tail, about a third of the way down?
  9. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    Are you thinking maybe someone changed their mind about docking?
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Not at all, but I have seen a few Weims and Boxers with white hairs in that spot, all Borders (although not docked) have a line of silver hairs in that place.
  11. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Interesting you say that Dawn, I've seen several dogs of various breeds with hair of a different colour that far down their tail...
  12. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    There is a caudal gland about a third of the way down the top of the tail in some dogs and some breeds, where the hair is a different colour, texture or length (it is also evident in other canids such as wolves and foxes).

This is where all Belgians and some huskies and others have that small section of black hair, a third of the way down the dorsal (top) surface of the tail.

Of course while Weims were routinely docked no one would care if there was white hair on a bit that wasn't staying on the dog.
  13. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I was thinking the sane thing as Tass... All the breeds that used to be docked have somewhat random tails as the tails were never considered when breeding... I love the rottweillers random tails I have seen straight to full curly in the show ring only thing they all had in common was wagging it so hard it looked like it might fall off! :)
  14. cara2002

cara2002 New Member

Name:
    Cara
    yes it is about a third of the way down her tail.
    its very fine, not really a patch just looks like shes got a bit of paint on her that is wearing off slowly! lol :D
  15. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    It won't be an issue in the ring - if you do a tail examination I bet a lot have them in a similar spot!
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Dont worry, its normal.:grin:
  17. cara2002

cara2002 New Member

Name:
    Cara
    its about a 3rd of the way down definatly not anything to do with docking because i know the breeder well and this is not something she likes.
    im not that fussed but just interested to know if it will effect showing. she cost me £850 so would be dissapointed if i couldnt show her because of a white mark :(
  18. cara2002

cara2002 New Member

Name:
    Cara
    ok thanks all. :D
  19. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    There are no disqualifying faults in any UK breed standard so there is nothing to stop you showing her

Did you not notice it before you bought her ?
  20. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    This is rambling off-topic a bit, but I was wondering what the function of the caudal gland is (scent I would guess?) and whether removal of it via docking affects the dog in any way, e.g. behaviourally?
  21. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    It is a scent gland, although absent or vestigial in many dogs. It is also a sex hormone responsive gland and, where present, it can be more evident where there are higher testosterone levels i.e entire males and when there are problems with over active prostate glands.

When these glands are active they can also produce a greasy secretion, as with "stud tail" in entire male cats. it is also evident in the same place on entire male ferrets.