Update on Brena's training Training

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Miniature Smooth Haired)' started by philbee100, Mar 11, 2014.

1. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    Azz likes this.

Update on Brena's training

hi. just thought i would post a short update on brena our smooth-haired mini doxie. she is almost 5 months old and is doing sooo much better on the housebreaking than she did when we first got her. she also knows quite a few commands (sit, down, stay, touch, leave it, high 5, shake, beg) that i am very surprised she would pick up so quickly at such a young age. i've read on breedia and other dog websites that doxies can be notoriously hard to train, but brena so far seems to be an exception. i have photos of brena in the hound section here, and she is my avatar. i think alot of it also has to do with what she picked up living with our two older dogs, chuk and katie.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    philbee100 likes this.
    sound like a little super star
  4. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    thanks. :) she's doing really well for a 4 1/2 month old puppy. we train her with treats just like victoria stilwell on her show and she will also do them now without treats and just praise and petting. i'm really surprised by how well she is doing.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    She's doing really well for such a young puppy.and I bet she loves the training sessions!

I like Victoria Stilwell and her methods.
  6. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    i never thought i would enjoy any other dog breed as much as labs and lab mixes. i always thought doxies were cute, but i never thought about getting one until karren and i met Izzy our neighbor's doxie and fell in love with her. right away karren wanted a dachshund of our own, so after a lot of searching we found brena and fell in love with her. for some reason we found them very hard to find, and had to look all over till brena. brena's breeder susan was really sweet and sent us alot of pictures of brena and her mom and littermates growing up. they are posted in the hound section here.
  7. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    Janet likes this.
    she really does enjoy the training sessions, especially if she gets a treat or petting. we are very proud of her. karren and i love Victoria Stilwell, and used her methods when katie was a pup. here in America her show is on Animal Planet, and we learn a great deal watching her. her methods seem to have been tremendously helpful with little brena. we would NEVER hit or choke a dog as other trainers do who use old fashioned dominance training. we are also pleased that she is doing quite well with "No Bite" and recall.
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Well done Brena :023:

You know what you'll have to do next don't you.... film her doing some tricks and upload the video to YouTube :D
  9. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    if we had a video camera we would. :)
  10. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    when we first got brena it didn't take her long to learn to sit and beg for a treat waving her front paws so cutely in the air. i just don't want her to do it too often for fear of injuring her back. why she likes doing that i have no idea. she just seems to enjoy it immensely.
  11. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    i was talking to a friend today about brena's progress, and he said he thought alot of it had to do with katie. i agree. brena imitates katie and picks up on alot of things. being another dog, katie can train her much better than we can, although she does respond very well to me and karren.
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Yeah, pups often pick up things from older dogs :D You and Brena are doing very well :)
  13. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    6JRT's likes this.
    she even picked up something from little old chuk. chuk often scratches at the carpet before he lays down, and today brena did the same thing. at least that's not a bad habit, unless brena decides by digging a hole in the carpet she'll find a badger...