Utonagan Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Discussion Thread, May 15, 2004.

1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Supa Greyhound is a cheap rubbish food. Why people have this fascination about high protein is bad I dont know, providing the diet is balanced a high protein content is fine.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    its called 'country value' now dontcha know lol.
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Oh yes we see it at the warehouse. We actually do get it because a few people feed it, we always stock a bit of what owners feed. :mrgreen: Its not a "good" food though, ingredient wise. IMO of course.:grin:
  5. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    O shut up you stupid woman. No he did not have health problems when we bred from him. He developed kidney stones at the age of 9, possibly because of the high protein levels of SGR. We bred from Hal YEARS before he developed kidney stones.
  6. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I guess it depends on what you see as a health problem.

Why did you chose to breed from Hal?
  7. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    It wasn't cheap, it was far more expensive to feed hal on SGR than on raw food! But it was too high protein for his requirements, so therefore was bad. High protein IS bad if the animal in question does not need high levels of protein. Athletes need a lot of protein, Hal was not an athlete in doggy terms, he was not a racing greyhound, he was not a foxhound or a working dog of any type, he was a pet, he had plenty of exercise and he was very fit, but he did not require a high protein diet, and it is a possibility that it was the years of being on a high protein diet that caused his kidney stones. We don't know for sure, but it is a good hypothesis, not that it matters at all, he is dead and gone and nothing can change that.
  8. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Because he was such a fantastic dog, he was one in a million and not to breed from him would have been tragic.
  9. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I think these are the health problems - a long time before the kidney stones
    You also have talked alot about his 'dominant' behaviour and his difficulty in training - not to mention the fact he didnt show pleasure with humans
    All in my book reasons to not consider a dog for breeding - especially in a supposed 'new breed' that health and temprament are so important
    I know you loved your boy, and you love Ben now (and they are lovely looking dogs) - but that dosent ness make a dog the best breeding material. I love my dogs, they are fit and healthy (and imo v good looking) and I have had many offers for pups from them - but that isnt a good enough reason to produce more life in an over populated world

That is rude and uncalled for
  10. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    In as far as it was kibble, I agree with you.
  11. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    But you did not (intentionally) keep a puppy from him.

I understand how he was a 1 in a million for you (we all have those ;)),
  12. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    gnasher ... its bout 14 quid a sack! pmsl.... the 'resting' one is a tenner...and both are not athletes food lol.
  13. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Yes, it was rude, but certainly not uncalled for. I am bloody sick of being picked on right left and centre quite frankly. I'm not complaining, just stating facts. If I can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen is one of my mottoes. However, please don't criticise me if I protest occasionally ... if you prick me, shall I not bleed?

I am very rarely rude, far, far less frequently than some people ... I am the first to apologise, to admit if I have cocked up or misinterpreted something. Occasionally, just occasionally, I will snap, and this was one of those occasions. Sorry, but I am human after all!! :002:
  14. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    That much now? The last sack we bought was £9!! But when we switched Hal onto raw, it worked out cheaper than the SGR.
  15. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    What!! Of course we did, we kept Woody from Hal's first litter.

God almighty, I am getting so sick of this. I am off.
  16. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Sorry - I missed that - what happened to Woody?
    I have never heard you mention Woody before, so forgive me for not knowing he existed - I thought your only dogs were Tai and Ben. (and daughters Chi)
  17. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    oops deleted
  18. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I must have missed posts about Woody, I have never heard of him - so fair enough people asking - we cant know everything :) so have to ask questions and questions about breeding are not just directed at you but also for anyone else reading threads and thinking they should breed from their dogs
  19. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Oh dear hit a nerve did I.:mrgreen: I never mentioned his kidney stones did I? He obviously had a food intolerance problem, as you said you had tried him on so many different foods.:roll: Wouldn't you call that a health problem? If it wasn't a health problem you would not have had to take him to the vets would you? Now who is the stupid woman?
  20. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Welcome to episode 23,15,12,6 of Gnasher's World.

And yes, the numbers spell something...can any of you guess what lol.

Now, for the big question...should I have popcorn or chocolate to enjoy with the entertainment?
  21. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

hmmm chocky is always great but popcorn does have the historic 'watching entertainment' connections

Have both