V8 vegetable juice Food

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

V8 vegetable juice

This was something I liked but was expensive, and I have not seen any here. I do have a liquidiser and a juicer and loads of "imitation V8" recipes but nothing ever tasted the same, and being unable to obtain more than basic vegetables, it never worked.

Lo and behold last week I saw something in the chilled refrigerator in the macolet, with the litre bottles of 100% orange or mixed citrus juice, and also cranberry juice and pomegranate juice, but this was something different. It is called Gazpacho and is described as "Spanish style chilled vegetable blend", pasteurised but with no preservatives or colouring, a minimum of salt and just 26 calories per 100ml. And I am hooked on it now!

OK so like fruit juice it is missing fibre but I more than make up that with other things I eat, but this stuff is lush!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Gazpacho here is a Spanish style cold soup. It is hideous BTW. Glad you found something you like. V8 is just sodium and I do recall you speaking of high BP so probably not the best.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    mjfromga likes this.
    I know what Gazpacho is so why they put that on the label I do not know. Typical Israeli translation. This, to me, is just pure mixed vegetable juice, a million times nicer than V8 and it is impossible to taste any salt. It is also quite thick.

Juices that are kept in the chilled refrigerator are 100% juice. Other "juices" are in cartons and called "nectar" and are just that. No doubt full of sugar, and kept on shelves, as are "fruit" squashes. People want to buy that stuff? Their prerogative.

It is interesting the number of new items that appear. Hai runs the macolet but I think that he and his father took over the lease from Avner. The other day I saw jars of pure organic coconut oil, which I had never seen before in Israel. I always bought from iHerb in the US. Turned out that Hai's father is now the agent/sole importer of this particular brand of coconut oil and even though the price was good from iHerb, this is just as good but more inexpensive. Not that the cheaper price caught me - I bought a jar [they come in plastic containers from iHerb] to try it, and it was fine. I do use a lot of coconut oil, on salads, put some on Tikki's wet food, and use it to calm down the psoriasis on my legs.

Good for rough hair as well.

I wonder what the next thing Hai or his his father will come up with!
  5. doghiker

doghiker New Member

Name:
    Joshua
    I think Gazpacho is delicious! I used to make it when I lived in Israel because all the veggies needed for it are so fresh there. It is so healthy for you! I love V8 juice too.

mmm, got me wantin a v8 now!

btw, boy do I miss the northern negev. I once saw a black jaguar sleeping on a flat rock near the mitzpe ramon back in 1984. I bet they got rid of all the wildlife now though
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I love V8 too.
    Welcome to the forum Lykkan, I love the relaxed crossed paws in your avatar.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Mitzpe Ramon is south of me - between here and Eilat. But the Gazpacho is now not available as it is only a summer product.

Booga.
  8. doghiker

doghiker New Member

Name:
    Joshua
    thanks carol, thats how he always sits, too! crazy cute, huh?

gazpacho is so easy to make, especially in Israel...you should be able to find all the ingredients already growing in your garden! well maybe not the vinegar. what is booga? do I have something on my nose?!
    • About 2 pounds ripe red tomatoes, cored and roughly cut into chunks
    • 1 Italian frying (cubanelle) pepper or another long, light green pepper, such as Anaheim, cored, seeded and roughly cut into chunks
    • 1 cucumber, about 8 inches long, peeled and roughly cut into chunks
    • 1 small mild onion (white or red), peeled and roughly cut into chunks
    • 1 clove garlic
    • 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, more to taste
    • Salt
    • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, more to taste, plus more for drizzling
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think it is currently only Malka that is in Israel. Most of us are shivering or dripping in the good old UK. Not much growing in my patch of grass!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @doghiker - my yards grow weeds. It is not that I am lazy but to be able to buy a litre of what is called Gazpacho with no prepping is/was, well it was delightful but because it is a summer product... and no way am I going to prep and make it [well I can not] I will have to wait until after the winter, when it comes, until it it available again.

A lot of wildlife around, even here. I just do not see them.

Oh, and "booga" is a polite expression for bugga - which is also a polite expression for - well, better not say it!
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I just noticed the nectar comment. I like them actually. They have a thicker texture like vegetable juice but are made of fruit. There's often lots of sugar in them, same as most vegetable juices have lots of salt, but drink in moderation and enjoy lol
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    mjfromga likes this.
    Myra - the "nectar" fruit juices, which are sold in 1 litre cartons not in the refrigerator sections, are chock full of sugar. The "gazpacho" juice was in a plastic bottle and in the refrigerator section, together with the100% fruit juices [which have no added sugar, just the natural sugar in the fruit] and the gazpacho had almost no salt. Labels here have to show exactly how much of everything is in all products and I am a label-reader.

I have been experimenting with various veggies to make juice, and so far have come up with some really tasty stuff. But as yet nothing like the bottled gazpacho.

I will keep on trying but it depends what vegetables the macolet has - and they do not carry much more than basics. I also do not want to cook anything to then liquidise it - I prefer fresh un-cooked whatever when I make juice.