Vizsla honest opinions please? General Chat

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by madhouse, Feb 15, 2009.

1. madhouse

madhouse New Member

Name:
    Vicky

Vizsla honest opinions please?

We've got Odi, a 2 1/2 year old male ridgeback and are looking at adding another dog around September time. Odi is lovely, no bother in the house, as long as he's had a good hour or so walk in the morning, in fact, most days he takes to his bed and I only really see him if I open the fridge door :lol:

So, would a vizsla girl fit in with us or are they totally bonkers all day long? I'm torn between another ridgeback, but I've always liked Vizslas and the ones we've met when out walking are gorgeous.

Should I stick with what I know, or take the plunge?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Vizlas are HPR dogs and are lovely - but they do need to work. If you`re happy to play scent games etc. and accept their need to run and seek game then you`ll be fine. I took on a shorthaired pointer after having had Shepherds and it was bit of a culture shock - but a nice one.
  4. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Madhouse :) my neighbour has a 6 year old Vizla Oliver , he previously had RRidgebacks but finds the Vizlas easer to handle now he if getting on in years. .Oliver is lovely but very boisterous and playful and in need of lots of mental stimulation but that goes for most gundogs :)
    Here is another thread about them , I love the Wirehairds with beards 8)

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=43287
  5. Bandi

Bandi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi Madhouse, we've had our Viszla (smooth haired) for 7 weeks now, we can't stress enough - he won't be left alone, he' is always there with you no matter what you are doing. But apart from this he is mad as a box of frogs as most puppies are but we have seen changes in him since starting puppy classes. We will be training him for field work when he is older. What a loving, friendly, happy intelligent dog he is. Hopefully I've attached a photo - how could you resist.....:grin:

[​IMG]
  6. Bandi

Bandi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Sorry Madhouse - try this picture thing again.....

[​IMG]
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Sorry, have to disagree with the above, Most Viszla are show bred, and many of them go to pet homes as pets, some do work and they do well at the job.. but the majority are happy to be pets.

In saying that they do need exersice, a good romp off lead in the woods once a day should be fine..

They are people dogs .. they love to be included in all aspects of your life. and I am sure they will fit in well with your RR.

Some can be a little more sensitive than others, but generally they are a fab breed to own.

they respond well to training, and will turn their paws to what ever you want to do with them

Apart from Boxers, the Viszla is the second breed I spend most of my time with.... as most of my friends (other than Boxers) show.work and breed them, so I spend many a time at shows with them.... and one friend in particular breeds fabulous dogs with fab temperaments...also got a few who work and show theirs.

She has 7 to date... all lovely dogs.
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Couldn't agree more, nothing like a Vissi pup, all that loose skin...
  9. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Having had Vizsla's since the 80's I thought I'd add my two pennorth................the bred in general are very friendly and sociable. They enjoy having something to do so are not suited to a 'lazy' household. If you are active and your present dog is also active a Vizzie would probably fit in very well. They do not do well with harsh handling, they are very sensitive and are better suited to indoor living as they thrive by being close to family members.

I would say that having a Vizzie is an honour...........if you decide on getting one I'm sure you won't be disappointed.