Walking advice Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Rickym89, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Rickym89

Rickym89 New Member

Name:
    Ricky

Walking advice

Hey everyone!

Was hoping to get abit of advice on walking my 18 month old male akita Thor.

I've been told to walk him everyday for atlest an hour, I've also been told as he's a big dog to take days off as not to over walk and cause damage to his hips. IMG-20170108-WA0000.jpeg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Rickym89 likes this.
    At 18 mths an hour every day should be fine.
  4. Rickym89

Rickym89 New Member

Name:
    Ricky
    Thank you! Was worried I could have been over doing it.
  5. Lee_dolo

Lee_dolo New Member

Name:
    Leona
    Rickym89 likes this.
    Hey, I have a 1 year old akita and I give her at least one hour walk everyday. Sometimes even more when there's other dogs about too so it does sound about right :)
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Leona, welcome to the forum. The 5 minute per month restriction on exercise only applies to dogs under 12 months. As long as she is fit, one or two one hour walks a day should be fine.
  7. Lee_dolo

Lee_dolo New Member

Name:
    Leona
    Thank you!! :)
  8. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    I take mine for 45 minutes every 2 days around the lakes where I live, I do this because I also have a 6yr old Male Siberian that thinks its his job is to pull me, so I cannot walk the Husky and Akita together, a 60lb Husky is hard enough, I don't want my 45lb Akita learning that trick and then being a 120lb horse, I'd like my knees to still work thank you very much lol. Tried a few times to walk them both and its just a chaotic experience. So while I am out every day, they are each out every 2 days.

They do get a lot of exercise when play fighting in the garage or the basement. I personally think the dog will benefit more by not being walked every single day because there will be days when you just cannot do it and it will mess with their schedule more. Leaving it a day between teaches them to be a little more patient and not to always expect it, and thus be annoyed when they don't get it. So in 'my opinion' its good to teach them some sort of patient down time and let them have a lazy day here and there.