We almost have her home! Introductions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Lindsey Mechenbier, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Lindsey Mechenbier

Lindsey Mechenbier New Member

Name:
    Lindsey

We almost have her home!

Hello everyone :) Our family is just a week and a half away from bringing our sweet German Shorthaired Pointer home. We are adopting her from the military training program and it has been a long process. She is a little over 2 years old and an amazing dog. She has gone through extensive training through the military but has been rejected from the program for a few issues that will not make her any less of an amazing family dog. When going through search and rescue training she was deemed as easily distracted and had inconsistent response to odor training. We will only be using her as a family dog so none of that concerns us. I have researched the breed extensively before we started the adoption and am confident that she will be an amazing fit for us. We just lost our beloved German Shepherd last year so we are used to a high energy, intelligent dog. I am so looking forward to interacting with all of you and exchanging stories and hopefully getting advice as needed! Oh her name is Liza! We were told not to change it as it can create confusion. This is new to me as we have only had our dogs from puppies before now. Have any of you adopted in the past and chosen to change their names? Have you had issues with it or was it a smooth transition? Thanks all!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lindsey Mechenbier

Name:
    Lindsey
    We have been able to see her numerous times. We visit the kennels and have gotten to take her out in the yards for some interaction and play time :) She is such a sweet girl and really needs to be in a loving home environment. Right now she only gets to go out once a day for a short time. :(
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Exciting times for you. I'm sure your girl will be a great addition to your family.

Many rescue dogs have their names changed when they go to new homes and they get used to them quite quickly.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing photo's of your girl in her new home x
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Both Kyra & Heiko were rescues, Kyra was 6 months when I got her, Heiko 12 mths i changed both their names with no problems.

A lot depends on the dog some settle in straight away others can take time to adjust.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I admit that my dogs have gobbledegook names as well as their real ones - it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I call Merry, Moomoo or Mezza, she responds just the same. To her previous owners she was Mary. Eddie was a Snoopy, and before them Mia and Tweed the Lurchers were strays so I didn't know their former names. I am sure that tone of voice and context mean more to a dog.
    A couple of years ago I was involved in the rehoming of a failed ex military working breed. He also had his name changed. If you were going to do competitive work with her, I might think twice, but as a pet, - it's new life, why not a name you love?
  7. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Best wishes with the new one.
  8. Lindsey Mechenbier

Name:
    Lindsey
    CaroleC likes this.
    Good to know! GsdSlave, Your GSDs are gorgeous!!! And what beautiful names :) Our kids usually have the last say in choosing names around here lol!! Makes me miss ours. We lost him last year to cancer. His name was Frankie, Frank the Tank! We will get another GSD someday but for now we need a different breed. Still too sad for all of us.

Attached Files:

9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Frankie was absolutely stunning - you must miss him so much. And if that is your son with him, he is gorgeous!

Like Carole, my little Tikva [it means Hope] answers to whatever I call her. She had not been named when I got her at just three-weeks old [much too young...] but I already had the name Tikva ready for the puppy I needed, having lost my Pereg [the one in my avatar] two months earlier.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What a handsome lad Frankie was.x
  11. Lindsey Mechenbier

Name:
    Lindsey
    Malka likes this.
    He was the absolute best dog I have ever had. And yes that is my son. Thank you!!

I think we will rename her then. Liza isn't my favorite haha. Pereg was a beautiful dog too :)