Weimaraner, anymore on the forum? General Chat

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Donna_birmingha, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Colley1275

Colley1275 New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    HI there,

I wanted to add to this post for a while and have only just got round to it.

Here are some photos of Amber, my Weimaraner. She is 13 years old next month, and I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. We have had lots of ups and downs throughout her life, including her surviving bloat twice and costing me £2500 in vets bills on one such ocassion. But I love her ! She is the matriarch of our household, she has brought my two Border Collies up well, and she has never ending patience for anything and everyone.

We have been through thick and thin together, and more times than I can remember I have cried and she has licked away the tears.

She was there when my daughter (now 10 ) learned to walk, and stood patiently as she held on to her neck and back to balance !! She has loved Bilbo and Kayleigh as puppies, and through to adulthood - Bilbo is now 7 and Kayleigh 2 yrs.

Her back end is sore now, and her eyes are starting to go cloudy. I dont know how many more summers we will have together, so I am making the most of the time we have together.

I hope you enjoy these photos of my girl. I will never have another Weimaraner, no-one could be like her.

Here she is with puppy Bilbo - 7 years ago

[​IMG]

Here she is with Puppy Kayleigh - 2 years ago

[​IMG]

This was the gang last Autumn !

[​IMG]

This was taken today :grin:

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    She's gorgeous and looks so well for her age. x
  4. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    She's beautiful. Look at the size of that tongue!:lol:
  5. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    Totally missed this thread.

I have 3 weimaraners currently and I had my first one in 1967
    I don't know how to post photos on here.

Amber is lovely, my oldest will be 13 next month too.
  6. Colley1275

Colley1275 New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    If you create an account with photobucket online, then upload your photo - when its uploaded copy the IMG link and paste it straight into the thread - hey presto ! photos of your lovely weimeys - love to see them :grin:
  7. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Same as the 'other' forum Joto.
  8. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Oooh can't wait to see them Joto and hear all about them!
  9. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    I have flickr but I can't post. When I click on the insert image icon, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
  10. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I'll test Flickr for you. Any excuse to post pictures of my dogs.:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    That worked.:) Are you pasting the url of the photo in the box?
  12. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Just a thought, do you have popups blocked? I get a message asking me if I want to allow the script because I have popups blocked.
  13. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    When I click on the little square which says insert image when you hover the mouse, nothing happens. Maybe you have to have done a certain number of posts to qualify for posting photos?
  14. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    No, I bored everybody the day I joined.:lol: I'll speak to you later on MSN and we'll get it sorted so everyone can see your lovely dawgies.:)
  15. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Testing.

Jas, Jake and Ellie.

[​IMG]

Jake and Jas

[​IMG]

Ellie

[​IMG]
  16. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Awwwww, well worth the wait, gorgeous dogs, Ellie on the chair! :043: She is brill!
  17. wiltshiregirl

wiltshiregirl New Member

Name:
    Heidi
    Hi,

I also posted this question somewhere else as was a bit confused.com :002:

Anyway, what I wanted to post was this.... I have grown up with labradors but now its finally the right time for us to get a dog of our own and we are considering a weimaraner.

But could any owners give some information about them as I have seen mixed reviews on the web, from guys who work with them, etc.....

I understand they are very active, need lots of exercise & stimulation, very intelligent (none of which puts me off), easy to groom etc but there also seems to be some reports of them being very domineering and even prone to aggressive outbursts.

I know that within all breeds you get dogs that do not conform to the norm, but can you tell me some of your experiences so that I have more to go on? Having had oh so gentle, but pretty dopey, labradors all my life I'm a little apprehensive about getting a dog that may find it difficult to, for example, adjust to new family members in a few years time, or settle when we have friends/family to stay (or they get looked after by them if we are on holiday)...(we also want to get a dog rather than a bitch - not sure what difference that makes with this breed?)

Phew...turned into quite a message

Hope someone can help!
  18. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I'll pm you with where you can get all the answers you need, but in short, yes they are intelligent, need lots of exercise - mental and physical - a bored Weim is a destructive one. They are almost human-like in their intelligence and if you ask them to do something they want to know why and what's in it for them. Ask them to do it again and again and you'll lose their interest.

My two are so different in looks and personality so I wouldn't like to generalise and there is no norm :lol: . Dogs seem to be more cuddly that bitches and they will all want to sit not just with you but on you - they like the physical contact. You must get them used to being alone for periods from a young age or they will develop separation anxiety because they really are people dogs.

They are hunting dogs and will probably find little furry critters, dead or alive and if you're lucky they will bring it to show you so if you're squeamish about that sort of thing you may like to reconsider.

Anyway, I could write a book so I'll shut up and pm you!:grin:
  19. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Oh I can't pm you because you are a new member.:-( I don't think I'm allowed to post links to another forum?
  20. wiltshiregirl

wiltshiregirl New Member

Name:
    Heidi
    what's a pm??

I'm not squeamish so that's ok :) They sound like fabulous dogs, and I know they are beautiful. The other thing that concerned me was as they are bred for hunting, how do they tolerate being 'just pets'. Any dog I have will have as much exercise as its needs, but I worry that without being worked their life will be lacking something....I

I'm not as much as a worrier as I sound so far on here - just want to make the right decision for my family and the dog!!!
  21. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    A private message.

Very few Weimaraners are actually worked in the real sense of the word, ie. on a shoot. Most benefit from some kind of sport though like agility/working trials. You can go to gundog training without actually going on a shoot just to give them a chance to do what they were bred for but I don't.

My two get their hunting fix on walks, looking for squirrels but other than that are just pets, but taking them to places where they can get mental stimulation using their nose and tracking smells and not just a walk around the block is important.