Weimaraner, anymore on the forum? General Chat

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Donna_birmingha, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wiltshiregirl

wiltshiregirl New Member

Name:
    Heidi
    Thank you, that's great to know. We are about to move to a house on the edge of a forest so there will be plenty of smells to occupy the dog (Otto, we have already chosen the name, after our Icelandic dentist who we didn't particularly like but both thought he had a perfect name for a dog :) ) - we will need to learn recall very fast I think.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    The only thing I will disagree with E&R about is the bitches are just as cuddly as dogs,although maybe a little less needy.

I don't hunt with mine, the hunting skills can be rediredted onto all sorts of hunting games, find it and retrieves, they have excellent noses.

I have found mine very easy to train so long as you use non confrontational reward based training, they are quite sensitive and don't respond to harsh handling.

They are very much people dogs and although some people do kennel them sucessfully, they really want to be in your house, preferable in your bed, lol. This is why alone training is very important

Quick to learn, but don't do too much repetition, they will give you that look that says 'OK, I've shown you I can do that so lets move on'

A very different experience than owning a lab, but properly trained, they are a joy to own.
  4. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    OH and they are expert counter surfers and one of mine can open the fridge. Greedy is their middle name.
  5. wiltshiregirl

wiltshiregirl New Member

Name:
    Heidi
    Ha ha! Sounds like this is going to be fun :) Cannot wait, but will have to until post-February when we will be set-up to get one. I want to go and meet some breeders soon though - can anyone recommend a breeder? We are in Wiltshire but can travel as far as necessary.
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I have a breed that is very similar to a Weim (they have Weim in them, and have almost identical temperaments) and a Labrador...let me tell you that their personalities are like apples and oranges, so be prepared! you'd think that, being gundog breeds, their temperaments would be quite similar but they are really not at all. Take your Lab energy level, sensitivity, stubbornness, clingyness and knock it up 10 gears and you get the idea!
  7. wendyg

wendyg New Member

Name:
    wendy
    we rehomed a weimaraner in april having previously had a irish setter thought we knew what we were taking on boy were we wrong.Love him to bits he was 1 in july and keep hoping he will calm down tried dog classes but it was hopeless,his previous owners went through three dog trainers and 2 different dog classes before giving up,was not told this until he was with us for over a week when the previous owners called to see how he was.We love him but i can no longer walk him as he is so strong and tries to chase any car that goes by so we all go out but its hubby who walks him.
  8. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    They are very strong, males in particular. A headcollar will help you control a lively young Weim on a lead and he will also be going through the adolescent (hoody) stage, too. Alot of Weims are given up for rehoming at that age (particularly males), you have to be more stubborn than they are!
  9. wendyg

wendyg New Member

Name:
    wendy
    Thanks,tried a walkeezee and a halti with no sucess lol,as long as he is getting walked but i would like to be able to walk him as well.
  10. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Harnesses do make some dogs pull more, have you tried a headcollar like the Dogmatic or Gencon? Rossi is 27.5 inches to the shoulder and if he sees a cat or squirrel before me and makes a lunge for it, it takes all my strength to hold him back and I have ended up with squashed fingers and rope burns. I use the Gencon for lead walking where we are likely to encounter cats. Otherwise he's not too bad on the lead, but for our own safety I have to use one, particularly walking two of them at the same time (I am 5ft 2")
  11. wendyg

wendyg New Member

Name:
    wendy
    thanks i have never tried either will look on the web and see what i can find.
  12. Colley1275

Colley1275 New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hi there. Unfortunately some Weimaraner's take a lot of work when they are young and require lots of patience and understanding. They are not an easy dog unfortunately. My Weimaraner is now 13 years old, but I have been lucky and have had her since she was a pup and so I could lay down the rules from day one. I would recommend a book to read, written by Patsy Hollings, published by Ringpress Books, called the Essential Weimaraner. I do not know if this book is out of print now, but you should be able to pick up a second hand copy on the web. If you were closer to me, I would have gladly lent you mine. It was written by Amber's breeder and is a fantastic book as it gives you an insight into how the Weimaraner's brain work. In my opinion (not like any other dog I have ever owned). Firm, Kind and consistent is what I was told when I collected her from her breeder at 8 weeks old, and this is something I have tried to apply to her throughout her life. This poor dog, sounds like he has been pushed from pillar to post all his life, never having had the ground rules laid down to him. If you make things simple for him and set clear boundaries you will make quick progress. Simple things like not allowing him on the furniture, making him walk behind you when you go through a door, feeding him after you have eaten etc, will all help establish him at the bottom of your household pecking order. If you allow him an inch he will take a mile. If you get the little things right then this will pay off, and you will start to see him respect you and obey you. Try a Gentle Leader headcollar, these dont ride up into his eyes like the Halti's do. If you want any more help, I am very happy to help you with any questions you have. Send me a PM. Well done for taking on this boy.
  13. EnR

EnR New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I agree with most of that, apart from not letting him on the furniture, going through doors first and eating before him. It's up to you whether you want to do that but I don't think the pack leader stuff makes any difference.

My dogs are my companions and I don't believe they think I am a dog and part of their pack. They are allowed on the furniture because I like having them next to me, or laying on me as is usual with a weimaraner. I go through some doors before them because I think it's bad manners to have them barging past me. Sometimes I eat before them and sometimes I don't, it depends what time my dinner is ready! They also sleep in my bedroom! :shock:

They have rules and boundaries which I think is important for any dog and without those problems can occur.
  14. Mrs PP

Mrs PP New Member

Name:
    sonya
    Hi all i have 2 Long Haired Weimaraners,Casper is 21 months and is adorable and Leia is 9 months old and a little madam!! But we still love her.
  15. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    My partner has a Weimaraner pup - 6/7 months old and I've never met a dog like it, its a complete nut job! I know puppies (especially ones of that size) are hard work but I don't remember any of my Northern Inuit's being such hard work and we're forever told they are not easy dogs. Are they all this much hard work?

He is as hyper as anything, even after a long walk he doesn't rest for long. When he visits he jumps all over my 3 constantly biting at their faces to the point he has driven them to growling and snapping and they are very tolerant dogs, yet even after he gets hurt he still carries on and on and on (I took one of my girls to his last week and after 3 hours of being constantly being jumped on, chewed, chased and humped and despite several tellings off by us and her as you could see how fed up she was getting trying to hide under the table away from him, there was no sign at all of him letting up). He tries to hump my girls at every opportunity to the point that if you didn't know better you'd swear they were on heat and if you leave him unattended for more than 2 seconds, hes whining, digging, scratching, chewing, pulling stuff of the sides etc you can't turn your back for a minute.

I know people say NI's are difficult but I'd have 100 over his one Weim any day he's very highly strung and very hard work. Is this the norm? I've not much experience of the breed first hand though I've yet to meet an adult one that isnt snappy towards other dogs.
  16. tokiayla

tokiayla New Member

Name:
    Kay
    My parents have a 12.5 year old female.
    I look after her regularly and my boy just adores her.

She has been a NIGHTMARE from day one.
    Fell in a stagnant pond at 6 months and was soooo ill for a few months. Ingrowing eyelashes, cherry eye, 3 rounds of bloat by the age of 4, spleen removed. Attacked by two dalmations at the age of 5 - side ripped open. Then terrified of other dogs. She had a few fits between about the age of 6-8. Her body is a mess of scars, she has a lipoma on her shoulder that is getting bigger all the time (you can see it in the first pic - had it about 4 years now). She was hyper and a nightmare to train. Extremely stubborn.

She is a quirky old girl. We cannot believe she has lasted this long. We all love her to bits, but my parents will not have another dog when she goes - they said they can't cope with that stress again!

I love Weimaraners - beautiful dogs. But I couldn't have one.

Here is the lovely Ria (she was 12 in these pics)
    [​IMG]

She still has lots of energy
    [​IMG]

Her fave pastime these days
    [​IMG]
  17. Colley1275

Colley1275 New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    What lovely photos !!

I lost my old girl in November 2009. She was 13 years old. It was the hardest decision I have ever made when we had to put her to sleep. She went downhill very quickly, two days before she collapsed she was still running about like a loonie !! She had a bad stroke in the end and her back end went completely and she could not stand or go to the toilet and she was in a lot of pain. I didn't want her to suffer, but I still hate myself for what I had to do in the end.

Its so lovely to look at the photos on here of all your beautiful Weimaraners, they are one of the hardest dogs in the world, but as with all hard things in life, what you get back in return is amazing !!

Our house is so quiet now she is gone and I still have two dogs !! both Border Collies. But she never laid still for long, and was always with me. I miss her and hope that one day we will be together again.

I will never have another Weimaraner, there could only be one Amber for me.....
  18. michellem

michellem New Member

Name:
    michelle
    Hi - I have a 2 year old weim springer cross - where did you get yours from - they may be realted?!!:gri
    n:
  19. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    just thought id say such lovely pictures guys :mrgreen: beautiful dogs :mrgreen:
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  21. michellem

michellem New Member

Name:
    michelle
    I got persie from a couple in Wisbech