Welsh springer spaniel General Chat

Discussion in 'Welsh Springer Spaniel' started by magpye, Aug 1, 2012.

1. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz

Welsh springer spaniel

Ok... same question as the 'which setter' thread.. Now thinking if a setter could be too boisterous perhaps a welsh springer could be the solution...

Looking for a pup to be a resident pat dog and assistance dog for a care home and a family pet for my aunt.. She does not want a labrador, retriever or doodle...

All the welsh springers I have met have been lovely, gentle dogs... anyone know anything different?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Pm Morganstar ..
  4. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    They are on my list ;-)
  5. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Morganstar is your woman, Jacqui knows everything there is to know about welshies, the ones i've met have had similar temperaments to the english, maybe not as manic, but can be a bit more nervy
  6. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I had a welshie for a while, such a calm dog he was beautiful... the other four I have met have all been giggly but in a lovely way... friendly and bubbly but not jumpy, nervy or in your face...

Beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as a perfect pat dog breed! Even golden retrievers can have resource guarding issues and can be manic.. the one my Aunt had and the reason she doesn't want another was an absolute maniac, nervous, separation anxious, destructive and over jumpy and licky as well as a resource guarder...
  7. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    this is going to sound a daft suggestion..what about a retired GDBA dog? or even a youngster that hasnt made the grade. They are usually calm and biddable, and would be happy around old folk?
  8. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    My aunt has her heart set on a 'proper pedigree puppy'. she has had a lot of dogs in her life, but this time and for the first time she wants to buy a pedigree pup. She has always adopted in the past or been given a pup by a friend. It's just one of those things I suppose... Can't say I feel the same way, but it's not my decision to make. The least I can do is help her make a responsible informed choice and try and find out as much as I can about the breeds she's interested in!
  9. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Hi everyone sorry the pups are 13 weeks old and keeping me on my toes. Welsh are a lovely breed but then again I might be biased. They're a lot steadier than the working English and less manic. However we do call them the velcro dog as they have to be near you at all times and they can be vocal especially if left alone.
    On the plus side they love to please you and are very biddable and lovable.
    If you do consider one give me a quick pm and I can steer you down the healthy lines :D
  10. Seacrow

Seacrow New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    We have Willow the welshie. Calm is not one of the words I would use to describe her. Bouncy is the one that usually comes to mind. This is one of her more typical poses :grin:

[​IMG]

TBH as a puppy she had moments of hyperactive lunacy where I stood back and wondered 'what have we done?' Shes now 17 months and beginning to calm down a little, and she is so willing to please. She's the easiest dog to teach tricks to that I have ever met (which would be good for an assistance dog). She loves everybody, and seems to understand that you can't throw yourself at a toddler the way you can an adult.

She likes having a job to do, and will invent something to do if you don't occupy her time.
    [​IMG]

If you think you (or your aunt) can cope with puppyhood (plenty of chew toys, and lots of time to spend interacting and training), then Welshies are perfect. :026: :026:
  11. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    :007: :007: Gorgeous need more welsh springer photos on here ! They are on my ''one day I would one of those list''.
  12. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Think a lot of it depends on your experience with dogs as well. If your over firm with them when they're young the tend to get a bit nervy they need loads of gentle praise. Also none of mine are over hyper (except Spencer but thats another story all together :D:D).