What am I going to do with... General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.

What am I going to do with...

...just over three kilos of perfect Clementines? :017:

I had gone over the road because I saw the mailman as I am expecting a couple of small packages, so went into the macolet to ask Hai to please do me a favour and make a telephone call to the main Post Office for me as I could not make head nor tail of the menu as to which number to press to get the information I needed. Which of course he did - another of my great guys!

While I was there I saw some containers of absolutely gorguss large strawberries so treated myself to two containers - just under 1 kilo in total. And as I turned to go out I noticed a cardboard fruit tray outside with a load of perfect clementines in it, so asked Hai how much they were. "They are free because I was sent too much, how many do you want?" Umm - how many may I have? "Well, nobody wants them" - so he went and got a large carrier bag, put the lot in it and handed it to me!

They are currently in a large plastic basket in my refrigerator while I cogitate on what to do with them. Tikki will help me eat some [she lurves fruit, clementines being her next favourite to her main love of bananas] - and they should keep for a while while I decide to do with the rest of them. Probably juice some each day but over three kilos of them? :044:

But as he said, they would only have ended up in the bin even though they are all absolutely perfect, as nobody wanted any. :102:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Lovely. If they are fresh they should keep a while - I usually have them in an open bowl for around a week. They look so colourful, and as you say, the dogs love them too.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I checked each one as I took them out of the bag to put them in the basket and not one was even the slightest squishy or had dried peel which would have shown they were not good. I can not leave any fruit out as I have nowhere to put it so it usually goes in one of the large drawers at the bottom of my refrigerator... only one is full of bananas, avocados and a large punnet of glorious vine tomatoes - they are the plum type, ie a bit longer and a bit larger than regular cherry tomatoes, and the other with three different types of apples, four oranges, about half a dozen plums, three large kiwifruit - and yes, a couple of clementines!

The containers of yummy strawberries are on one of the shelves. together with a vacuum pack of four cooked and peeled beetroot and a pack of shucked and halved corn, also vacuum packed. Oh, and a punnet of mushrooms.

As my refrigerator runs cold and is tropicalised, ie it has thicker walls than regular refrigerators, plus is air-cooled and frost-free, fruit and vegetables keep for ages, also I line the drawers with that green stuff that absorbs moisture and stops things going mouldy so they keep for ages.

It does sound rather a lot for just one person [and one small Tikki] but I do not eat much meat, do not eat potatoes, and I just like my f&v!
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC likes this.
    Well fancy that, timing wise ! I have just made, for the first time, some orange curd. It was super easy
    You could do the same, pop some into ajar and hand it over to the very kind shopkeeper !
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tbh I have never made any sort of jam/marmalade/lemon or orange curd in my life - the very small amounts I ever used [I was a mean mommy] I would buy, and Hai would not accept any even if I did make some, as even though I keep strict Kashrut in my kitchen, without a registered Rabbinical Kashrut label he could not touch it.

This morning I decided not to juice any as I did not want to lose the fibre so instead I just peeled and removed the very few pips, and shoved a load into my liquidizer - now in small tubs somehow squeezed in the freezer. Tikva did help me...

...by sitting patiently for some segments! It was almost like three of four for the liquidizer, one for me, and one for her! :D
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And now... it is avocados. Yeah, well, I went across the road because I saw the mailman and I am expecting some stuff, and while I was there I buzzed into the macolet for a couple of things.

There was a box of very fresh [and hard] large avocados which I did not need [I did buy another couple of punnets of gorgeous huge strawberries as I seem to have a craving for them at the moment] - and then Hai asked if I wanted some avocados. Umm, no thanks because I am currently ripening some so I do not want to buy any more.

No no, he said - would you like some soft ripe ones because nobody wants them and they will only have to go in the bin.

What was I supposed to say?

The amount of food that is binned when people are starving is a total abomination. I am not that short of money that I cannot afford to buy good food for Tikva and for myself, but the thought of food just being binned... so yes, thank you very much Hai - I know how to prep and freeze various avo salads, plus I now know how to make them into smoothies which also can be frozen.

But I am beginning to dread going into the macolet in case Hai appears and offers me more whatevers!
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Jealous!
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sorreeee Carole, but what am I supposed to do? Incidentally, how are you and Chas doing now - a bit better, I hope. Not forgetting Vee @GsdSlave and her OH.

The thing is, Carole, that even though Hai does not order a lot of f&v he does sometimes get more than people buy, and unlike Avner who had the lease before him, does not try to sell not-perfect stuff at only a fraction less than for perfect. But then Avner always ordered far too much of everything.

Hai buys f&v in x many cartons, and rarely has much unsold. And if he has too much over he gives it to whoever wants it. Not try to sell it cheaper but if you want it then please just take it.

So - I should say no thanks if I can use and enjoy things?

It is the same with bread. This morning he had two large sliced loaves of wholegrain bread left from the previous delivery, and asked if I would like them. I do not eat white bread or any processed food, which includes white rice, but I do like a slice of toasted wholegrain bread [thick with slices of avocado - :D - on top] and I do like brown/red/black or wild rice [the latter not actually being rice, but still. So the bread has now been packed, six slices to a small bag, and is now in the freezer.

Would you turn down such offers? Especially when you know that you can use and enjoy them otherwise they will end up in the bin?

Nobody else wants these things so I am not being greedy. And as is said, every little helps, especially when living on a pension.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Oh, and just as I tithe a percentage of my pension to a specific charity that I support, if Hai gives me something free I always put something in the charity boxes that are on the cash desk. But for me it is still like being given something for free and the coins I put in boxes go to help those who really need it whereas I do not.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    We are both still coughing, but Chas is not bad apart from that. I can just about converse during the daytime, but then I lose my voice again in the evening. I'm back at the Health Centre tomorrow, but I think it would be a waste having any more AB's, - it is just going to take more time. I'm expecting to get referred for a Chest X-Ray and Asthma screening this time.
    I've been having to take breaks on our dog walks, but some days I haven't been well enough to go at all, and they have to cope with Chas taking them in the wood at the end of the road. I really hope I'm OK for Manchester Champ. on the 18th. Merry strides out and leaves me gasping for breath at the best of times!I
    We had a near disaster today when returning to the car after our walk. We loaded the dogs, and Chas slammed the rear door closed - leaving the house and car keys inside!!! I stayed with the car, as he set off to walk over acres of muddy fields to our nearest friends. An Irish Terrier walker insisted on leaving me the keys to her car as it was too cold to stand outside!
    While he was away, I spotted a multi-generational family with a Jack Russell, and asked whether of them had any idea of the best way to break into a car. I had left the passenger window open an inch, and the fellows in the group really seized on this problem as If it was a TV challenge show. They succeeded - with the aid of a leather belt, the chewing gum that I just happened to have in my mouth, and a specially selected and bent twig!
    Just as these guardian angels had left to finish their walk, a muddy Chas arrived in Brian's car - having dragged him away from his warm lunch. Not an experience I am anxious to repeat, but aren't dog people the very best!
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I could hardly breathe at all all last winter. Three lots of abs and steroids and still couldn't breathe. X-rays and goodness knows what else and then an initial diagnosis of COPD. Three month later I was no better on the meds for that so they tested again and decided it was severe asthma. Now on the right meds and I can't tell you what a relief it is to be able to walk and breathe at the same time.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    That is interesting Chris, as possible COPD was mentioned at my last appointment. However, I think they suspect that as soon as they know you have smoked, even if it was over 20 years ago. Of course, I have had radiotherapy too, and was told that some loss of lung function was unavoidable with that.
    I was actually diagnosed as slightly asthmatic five years ago - again because of not being able to catch my breath when out exercising the dogs. I was put on Ventolin for a while, but then it was thought to be unnecessary as I still had an adequate volume of puff. Last week I was only blowing 170ml though, which the Practice Nurse graded as 'Rubbish'.
    It is good to know that your breathing problems have now been resolved. You have given me hope that I might soon be able get back to some serious work with the hounds. Thank you.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What an experience Carole - and so good of first the Irish Terrier walker saving you from the cold, and then those guardian angels with the Jack Russell who managed to open your car - of course dog people are the best. But poor Chas having to plod through all those muddy fields to get to your friends, although all kudos to Brian having to leave his lunch to rescue you and the Beags.

Not that Tikva goes out for walks [she refuses point blank] but even is she would it would only be around the Moshav, the tractor paths being far too muddy for me to drive on now.

So far I have been fairly lucky regarding possible winter ills, although I am seriously considering buying some surgical masks to wear when I go across to the macolet as that is where I tend to pick up whatever is going around.

Chris - it is a right booga when abs and steroids do not works and then you end up with an incorrect diagnosis, and such a relief when you finally get a correct diagnosis and are put on the correct medication.

Strange thing though - I am still plowing through Prednisone from the latest attack and although I have been cutting down daily [put me on the norty step] instead of every other day and still have another week to go, it seems to have helped my mobility moving in the bungalow, sort of swinging from rail to rail on the door frames. Ram said yesterday that in the past he was always scared that I would end up on the floor and yet I seemed more mobile - probably because of the Prednisone. No doubt I will start ending up on the floor again once this lot is over though!
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, I think we are starting to feel as if we might not be as mentally sharp as we once were! Everywhere is very muddy here too. We have had a little snow, but not enough to make the ground any cleaner.
    Good that the pred. is helping your mobility, perhaps you could spin out cutting them down until the Spring sunshine returns, and our bodies begin to respond to it.
    Lesley says that my chest is much better, I just need more time, but should get a Chest X-ray next. I have a backlog of health appointments, as I have had to postpone everything this month. The replacement ones are arriving now, and have all fallen in the same week in January. - Dentist, Cancer centre, Physio. I know if sounds ungrateful, but just the thought of making the effort to get there makes me feel tired.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Ah, but that is the problem. Mentally I am B"H as sharp as ever, and BS"D long may it last - as my brain does not realise that I am an old woman [but mirrors do :mad:]

But Ram was right yesterday as I am definitely a bit more mobile although I am not expecting to last. And as the expression goes, use it or lose it. So I am very grateful that my legs can support me a bit more now, even though I do not expect it to last.

Dentist? That does not bother me but having been unable to leave Pereg for so long I have lost some crowns [broken off from the gum line] plus other teeth just breaking off and ancient fillings disintegrating - I know that it would mean major surgery under a GA to dig out roots etc - and I know only full well what a GA would do to me.

So I am not bothering at the moment.

I gave up having mammograms years ago because they kept showing scars from numerous previous biopsies lumpectomies, and oh how I wish I had taken my wonderful boob guy and had them both chopped off all those years ago. And there is NO NO NO way I will agree to a colonoscopy.

Let me live just as comfortably as possible and manage as best I can. That is all I want - as well as the little mini booga who gives me a reason to get up each morning, play with, and of course feed her the best I think for her.

Ram could never understand how I coped with my beloved Pereg, but I did, just as I now cope with the mini booger Tikva.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Getting old is a real pain. It's not the wrinkles that cause the grief but all the health niggles that get to you. Problem is that all the relatives get old too so they are a worry as well. Currently I have a brother with Parkinsons and my brother in law is in hospital with pneumonia (he had esophageal cancer 2 years ago and his spleen removed so a major worry)

It's ok to say we are all living longer, but heck we live with a lot of worry about health
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris - I do not have relatives to worry about as neither my older sister, my twin, my children, my grandchildren have been estranged from me for many years now. Their loss, not mine and for me they are no longer family.

I do not think that I really worry about my own health because I know if my outside lights are still on in the morning, the trissim are still closed, someone will call the Police who will break into my home to rescue Tikva, who would, of course, still be in her crate if I was dead in my bed.

Morbid? Not really. As long as I know that Tikva would be rescues and looked after, that means the world to me.