What are Boston Terriers like? Questions

Discussion in 'Boston Terrier' started by Moli, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat

What are Boston Terriers like?

Anyone got one? Just want to know what they are like to own?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. twinthinkuk

twinthinkuk New Member

Name:
    catherine
    i dont own one personally but I have a close friend who has one, shes not typical of the breed and is larger than others I have met, but she has a delightful temperament, very laid back, never barks except at foxes, lives with 4 cats, guinea pigs and chickens with no problems...she has her crazy moments and is very playful. she will happily walk with any unknown humans...hence my friend has to be careful that she does not get stolen as she will get into cars and lay down with a blink of an eye...they have had her since she was 18mths old (she is neutered) and was re homed from a family who were going to live abroad and couldn't take her ( a middle eastern country I believe) . I have also met a male Boston who was totally different! about half the size of my friends.....totally different personality....very territorial and vocal! so I am not sure what the breed traits are! x I love them and their funny grunts and snuffle noises x we affectionately call her pigdog lol x
  4. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    As a point of interest they are not classes as terriers in the UK breed groups.
    You might find more people responding if you post in the Untility group
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I only know of one member with a Boston ...
    I was in the proses of talking to breeders a few years ago before my situation changed ...
    The ones i met where mini boxers in outlook...
  6. XoloLover

XoloLover New Member

Name:
    Stacey
    ooo a Bosotn terrier thread ^^

Ive had the breed for 8 years (before I moved to Xolo's) nd I honestly cant say a bad word about them... though I may be a tad biased! I showed for years and my am very proud of my show champion boy, but since hes getting on now I only help with the discover dogs stand occasionally.

They really are lovely dogs, and Ive only ever met one snappy one in all those years.
    They are friendly, bouncy, active, playful and loving little dogs. They vary considerably in size and have three weight categories, lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight. Personally my boy is a heavyweight and my sisters bitch is a middleweight, but lightweight to middleweight are definitely more in vogue in the show scene and so are the more readily available types. Tuskar (my boy) is to the best of my knowledge still one of the largest in the uk though its been a while since i checked.
    [​IMG] Tuskar on the left, Sasha on the right.

They are the kind of dogs that are very active out and very snuggly indoors, Ive heard them compared to mini boxers but I dont think they are quite as 'manic'. There are a fair few people in the breed who moved from boxers to Bostons when they got older though.

They are relatively vocal and ive not yet met one that doesn't snore! Also, they are susceptible to juvenile cataracts and luxating patella. However there is thorough screening and testing going on to help eliminate these problems, and they are not as common as 'breed specific problems' would suggest they are.

Bostons are sociable dogs that get along very well with other dogs and children as a general rule, and as a side note, unlike frenchies, they can swim. (I thought it was strange the first time I was asked this on the discover dog stand by a lady trying to chose between the two breeds, but its worth noting that you dont have to worry about them 'capsizing!)

apologies if thats an information overload :)
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    We met a little brindle Boston today had loads of fun with my two ...
  8. XoloLover

XoloLover New Member

Name:
    Stacey
    The breeder of my boy had a boxer when I got him and he got on like a house on fire with all her bostons :)
  9. Bettysmum

Bettysmum New Member

Name:
    Mel
    Hi there

I've had my Betty Piggles for a few months now. She's quite a small Boston but she is mighty. Always the clown, her default setting is to play but she loves nothing more than a cuddle. She is so very affectionate and she makes me laugh every day without fail.

If you're still thinking about it you need to know that they snore......loudly! ( hence the name!) Very endearing but not if you let your dogs sleep in your bedroom. It's due to their little flat faces.

I wouldn't hesitate in getting another Boston, everyone she meets fails under her spell & she certainly gives back all the love she receives

Just a word if you're still looking, don't be tempted to pay more for a red Boston, some breeders may tell you that they are rarer but it's just a throwback in the genes. A proper breeder should not charge anymore at all. I found my breeder through the Kennel Club. Also make sure any puppy you get has been checked for hereditary juvenile cataracts

Good luck (& without sounding tooooo bias)......go for it, you won't regret it!! ;-)

Mel xx