What are the grooming requirements with the wirehaired Vizslas? Grooming

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by Wyrd, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha

What are the grooming requirements with the wirehaired Vizslas?

At the game fair I went to in September I saw a lovely Wirehaired Vizsla, I like the sound of Vizslas and the wirehaired I saw was really nice, after doing some researching and looking at pictures it seems that some wirehairs can be smoother than others. are there particular lines that give more coat, or is it pot luck?

What are the grooming requirements with the wirehaired Vizslas?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    IMO rightly or wrongly :?: A 'wire viz' with a lot of fluffy coat is not really the best IMO as it's not wirey enough for me for it to be call 'wirehaired' the harsher and often slighty shorter coated ones are the ones I prefer.:grin: But its up to you want you want :)
  4. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Oops to answer the q better I guess they don't need that much grooming unless you want to strip them like GWPs are for showing. And yes think different line have different coats :grin:
  5. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    The range of coat type is something I dont like about HWV's, it's the same with SRHP's. I've seen HWV's which are smooth coated apart from a few whiskers on the chin and then i've seen woolly ones. Neither I like, I much prefer to see something inbetween.

I should imagine if you get a dog which has a fair bit of coat then handstripping would be needed. Flynn has a wire coat but I simply brush him with a bristle brush, his coat isnt long enough or thick enough to strip.

I think this coat is too short (but I have to confess, I havent read the breed standard!) and I dont like it:
    [​IMG]

But IMO, this coat is about right:
    [​IMG]
  6. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Sika is a WHV and has a fairly smooth coat, wire down her back and she has whiskers/beard and wire hair ontop of her nose and head but tbh I would have like a longer more wirey coat. It is kind of luck of the draw I think. Sika's brother is pretty much 'wooly' and has to be hand stripped whereas Sika just needs an occasional run over with a brush. I would love to have another wire but will try to seek out a 'hairier' line next time!