What breed is best for us? Bichon or Maltese Questions

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by xrr, Feb 17, 2008.

1. zoby

zoby New Member

Name:
    ma
    I get Princess cut about every 8 weeks and then, brush her once a week(ish) so i dont have any problems with mats.

When the adult coats starts to grow there can be a lot of mats very quickly unless you keep a close eye on things. When the full coat is through you have to make the decision to go with the full show coat and its upkeep or the puppy cut which imo seems to suit a bichon better as they do seem to love a good roll in the mud!:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. xrr

xrr New Member

Name:
    bo
    Nope bichon frises dont malt at all under any circumstances! :)
  4. doggie lover

doggie lover New Member

Name:
    Patti
    I own a Maltese, & I must say, they are the most loveable babies you were ever know. My Cassie loves to give kisses. That is one of the main traits of a Maltese. And, by far, they are a lap dog. Cassie is never far from my side, if she isn't on my lap. lol. And, I have no problems with her, when I am away. I just make sure she has her toys neearby to play with while I'm gone. She was very easy to housebreak, & will always tell me when she needs to go outside. She isn't yappy, but; on the other hand, she will surely let me know if someone is at my door, before they even get to my door. Maltese gets along well with other dogs & cats, too. They are a bit possessive, but not to the point where it is a problem.

As far as the care of the coat goes, I have found that a puppy cut is easier to care for. I clip my Maltese myself, & it's very easy to do. I purchased a grooming Dvd on Maltese, followed its instructions, & after a few trial & errors, I have it down pretty well now. With a puppy cut, you don't have to groom them as often either. The one thing I found out that really makes her coat easy to care for is using a good conditioner after every shampoo. Without a conditioner, I wouldn't be able to get a comb through her coat.

I have never owned a Bishon, so I can't help you out there.
    But, to me they look alittle like a poodle. I think their coats are more coarse than a Maltese.

Hope this helped you out some in your decision. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one of these breeds.
    Patti~
  5. MacTash

MacTash New Member

Name:
    Heather
    I've got both and there is little between them in terms of grooming or training. They are both easy to train if you take the time to do it properly and grooming is something that you must do as soon as you get them and make it fun. Both mine love having a cuddle and a comb! Bathing is wet! Neither seem to particularly enjoy it but love being all fluffy and clean afterwards.

They are both very loving although I would say that the maltese is a bit more clingy/needy!

Enjoy whichever one you get!
    :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  6. Mochawocha

Mochawocha New Member

Name:
    May
    Hi I have owned a bichon for a while now and they are lovely but the grooming needs/costs are a consideration. £30 every 6 weeks is not insubstantial especially if you plan to have more than one. They do mat easily but that's not a problem if you keep them in a short (teddy) cut.

I would suggest checking your local Bichon breed club, they are packed out with knowledgeable people. The GB club are having and open show on the 15th April and that might be a good opportunity to see lots of breeders and dogs and have a chat.

Southern Bichon Frise Breeders Assoc (they do good grooming workshops) www.sbfba.com

The Great Britain club- www.bichonfriseclubofgb.com

Northern and Midland Bichon club (no website)

Hope that helps