What can you tell me about westies? General Chat

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Tillymint, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Tillymint

Tillymint New Member

Name:
    Suzie

What can you tell me about westies?

It's all in the title really! Who has one or experience of them?
    (It's with a view to foster)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    A friend has one. He`s a nice little dog but needs to be neutered and given more excercise and training. He yaps a lot and attacks male dogs - but that`s really only because he`s allowed to. He quite bright and very affectionate.
  4. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    The ones I have met have been lovely...but noisy and bark and yap all day long! Not a dog for me!
    I am sure they are not all like that and you will get a westie owner on here soon :)
    Exciting times then?!
  5. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    I grew up with a Westie and he wasn't the stereotypical yappy dog. He was quiet unless there was a cause to raise alarm (basically just the door). He was beautifully balanced, very kind, not snappy, excellent with people and other dogs.

One bad point though was his skin was AWFUL.

My Mum and Dad have a Westie at the moment, and he is more spoilt than my old dog, and therefore he is dominant with humans more than he should be, and always tries to hump me and my husband because we always tell him off for things he shouldn't be doing and give him rules, whereas with my Mum, brother and sister-in-law, he gets away with blue murder so he rules them. He is brill with other dogs though. So far, his skin has been better than my old boys which is excellent!

I wanted a Westie as my second dog, but ended up with Harley. I would always take a Westie in need in though if I could persuade the hubby lol. I love the breed!
  6. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Westies are typical Terriers. If you allow they will be naughty if you are firm and consistent they are great.

They are prone to skin issues.

As a foster it will all depend on its history I guess
  7. Tillymint

Tillymint New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    Thanks guys - I realise as a foster there could be issues to address. The ones I've come across usually belong to old people & they often have 2!
    Hub likes them too but he's not keen on JRT's (which I adore) as he thinks they are ankle biting yappers but not westies :lol: (I won't burst his bubble)
    Tilly like westies & JRT's & she also likes springers & labs but I'd like to have a small dog first, so a westie or JRT seems the right choice (I'm sure hub will get over a yapper!)

I've applied to a local westie rescue to be a fosterer - doesn't necessarily mean I'll be accepted but who knows! & we are doing this with a view to eventually adopt another dog.
  8. littlefoot

littlefoot

Name:
    Debbie
    I had a westie when I was around 10, he wasn't yappy very friendly with all dogs. Was my best mate, we used to do everything together. Calm in the house and payfull outside. I do have a neighbour, who has one and everytime she stop he barks none stop till she starts walking again.
  9. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    We see two Westies very regularly on our local walks, absolutely adorable! So friendly and playful, they absolutely adore our male and just literally bounce around him which he loves!

They do seems to have bad skin and scratch a lot, oh...and they both chase cats, they did down the lane and onto a main road recently (they were ok, but it was a scary moment).

I would love to own a westie at some point.

I just got a stuffed westie from Ikea brought round today as a gift to Zeke from a friend! :lol:
  10. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    in a word NOISY!!!!!
  11. Netpon

Netpon New Member

Name:
    Annette
    Westies do tend to be very yappy and they really do suffer with skin problems so it is important to either home cook or feed a good quality food that is low in allergens and treat regularly for fleas
  12. akitagirl

akitagirl New Member

Name:
    Lucie
    :lol: Yey the 2 we know make a right racket when we walk by their front window, they sit on the windowsill giving us right what for, even though they know us and the dogs so well! :lol:
  13. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    gsd's in a small body (or so i have been told) lol
  14. katandcolin

katandcolin New Member

Name:
    Kat
    I've grown up with Westies and absolutely love the breed. My mum will never have another she loves them so much!
    The three Ive had have had different temprements but they have all been noisy when they want to be. They do make good guard dogs (by sound at least!!)
    Both bitches we had had terrible skin and prone to allergies. Bonnie also has bad digestion and have to be very careful with what we feed her.
    they are loving little dogs but also independent. Love them :) xx
  15. Jukesgirl

Jukesgirl New Member

Name:
    Sam
    my friend has a couple of westies and they are spoilt rotten.

i treat my dog as a dog and they treat theirs as a baby which i don't necessarily agree with but they are not my dogs so i don't say anything but bearing that in mind hers were yappy when they were younger - really yappy - i stopped going round to be honest it was that bad but they have got quieter over the last couple of years.

one is prone to skin and eye infections and they both need a lot more exercise then they get (and a better diet!)

they are really nice dogs but they rule the roost - as with most terriers if you let them act up , they will act up.

i hope this didn't come across as really negative as i really like the dogs they have i just thought i would 'tell it like it is'
  16. Tillymint

Tillymint New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    some interesting comments thanks:lol:
  17. Domantas

Domantas New Member

Name:
    Domantas

I have heard that thewestieworld.com/blogs/westieworld/westie-bestie had a good article regarding this question. It has some information, facts and fun facts about the breed! I own Westie myself it was very accurate.
  18. westietude

westietude New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    best dogs in the world, terriers with personality, very intelligent, you haven’t had a dog until you have had a Westie......