What do you think? 74 and getting 1st puppy Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lennydoglover, Oct 18, 2011.

1. lennydoglover

lennydoglover New Member

Name:
    lenny

What do you think? 74 and getting 1st puppy

This is not me but my in laws. They are 74 years old and never had a dog before (although they spend alot of time with our dogs). They have gone and reserved a jack russell terrier puppy which they are due to pick up on the 7th November. They know nothing about training a puppy and teething stages etc.
    I remember when we had our parson terrier (now 8 months) I was close to tears sometimes with her and we are experienced owners.
    I am just getting a very bad feeling about what they are letting themselves in for but they would not listen to us and get an older dog. They will get all our help and advice but we can't be there 24 hours a day. I'm sure they think that because they have had 2 children, a puppy will be easy!
    What do you guys think? Am I over reacting?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Tricky one ..
    If my parents wanted another dog a jrt would not be my first choice ..
    But the lady across the road is a very out and about 70 year old and walks daily and would love a little active jrt ...

Are they the 2 nd type?
  4. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I sometimes walk with a lady with a young jrt which she's had from a puppy, and she knocks spots off me climbing those hills, and when I asked her how old she was I had to stop and gasp, when she said she is 76!!!!:shock:

I'd be more inclined to convince them they need to take a trip down the local rescue and find a nice suitable, well behaved companion. What about suggesting you take them down there "just to see what they have"? I'd then make a list of all that "bad" that comes with puppy training, all those sleepless nights (for some!), ruining their lovely carpets (for some!) all that chewing of their prize furniture (for some!) oh the list is endless, I'm sure you can put them off!!!:grin:

What about asking the local rescue if you could perhaps "borrow" some nice little chap and take him for a walk.......straight round to those inlaws of yours? I'm sure they'd fall in love and forget that puppy! Good luck, I do know how you must feel, but you don't want to fall out with them over it do you!
  5. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    errrr why don't you let them have the jrt that your friend has left with you. personally I do think a young pup that has th potential to live til 15+ being a jrt is a bit too much for an older couple, have they considered that they might not be around to look after it? I know the same can be said for anybody really, but why do they need such a young pup would they not consider a rescue?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  6. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    I would agree with this.
  7. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Was about to post the same!
  8. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    How uncanny is that, because that was my very first thought, but I didn't know it was the same poster, and I thought she might be too far away to adopt it! Perfect!:grin:
  9. lennydoglover

lennydoglover New Member

Name:
    lenny
    That would have been a great idea if it was a few weeks earlier. They have paid for the puppy so will not change there mind now. They were looking at rescues for a while but couldn't find the dog for them. I know for a fact that if my friend had given up her dog when they were looking to rescue then they would have had her without a doubt.
  10. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    They are getting the jrt puppy anyway - the best thing you can do is offer lots of advice and encouragement to them to get it housetrained and obedient (without any 'I told you so').

I hope they thoroughly enjoy their dog and lucky dog to have both owners around all the time and not be left on its own.
  11. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    If the 74 year olds are active, sensible people I don't see why there should be any insurmountable problem. If it was me the thing I would think of would be making sure someone was willing and able to take care of the dog if I was no longer able to take care of it - i.e. serious illness or my death.
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I'd give them a chance as we all have to start somewhere. Older age + puppy doesn't always equal disaster.

I know a man who is in his early 80's and he has a Springer and Deerhound, both whom are less than 5 years old. He walks them for miles every day and he is by no means an exception of the older generation - there are plenty of them out there. I also know a man in his early 70's with five German Shepherds!
  13. majuka

majuka New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Some really good posts that I totally agree with on here.

The pup is theirs now (in payment if not collection), it's too late to do anything other than offer constructive advice.

Also, I see nothing wrong with older people having dogs. I know a lady, who I would put in her mid 70's, she has two jrts, oldest is 2 years old. I see her on my morning walk sometimes, I have driven past her car parked by another walk at lunch time and I have also driven past her car parked at yet another walk in the early evening. Her dogs get three good walks a day, much more than my dog does...

As long as plans have been made as to who could take care of the dog, either short term sickness or long term sickness or death, I see no problem with it. We should all have arrangements in place for our dogs, no matter what our age.
  14. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    At 74, I personally think it's a bit selfish of them taking a puppy on. There's a very good chance he/she will outlive them or they will find it too much physically and mentally especially with it being their first dog. My shar-pei actually was owned by a couple in their 70s who had owned dogs all their lives. Before Sophie, they had GSDs for years by the sound of things. But they ended up with her parents and sibling due to a family break up and it totally wore them out so they rehomed them all. They fully admitted that even if it had just been her alone they physically couldn't cope with a young dog. It broke their hearts giving her up I know as they have been up to visit, but they say they know they have done the right thing for her.

But hey ho, it's done now. All you can do is give them advice and hope for the best. You never know, a dog might give them a new lease on life and all three of them grow old together, happily ever after. But if they ask you to look after him while they go on holiday, say no or you might end up with another dog like last time you did someone a dogsitting favour. :lol:
  15. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Good luck to them. It is a shame that they don't take on a rescue dog but at least they did look initially. Thank goodness you can advise/help them. My major concern would be that the dog would outlive them and I personally don't think I'd take on a puppy at that age. My aunt travels all over the country doing agility competitions with her golden retriever and she does really well - I couldn't run as fast as she does!!
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Age is just a number. It is capability that is important, and if everything is arranged for the care of the pup in the case of that capability being curtailed, then good luck.
  17. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    I hope that, when I'm 74, I'm still able to own dogs, if not work them!

I'm sure you'll be there with help. At their age you need something to get up for in the morning, so you may well find it gives them a new spark.

Good luck, its good they have you for support in their new venture!
  18. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:
    I do hope it works out okay, but if I were you I would be prepared to take that dog in in a few years if it gets too much!

(my great aunt used to walk 2 miles a day at the age of 93... but not all people do this :lol:)
  19. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    A fellow down my age of similar age owns to border collies (8 and 14)) had them since puppies he walks them three times a day and they walk in front of him in perfect line the same route every day their so placid and well behaved they would never run off or chase anything and are really sweet natured hence their never on a lead ever.
  20. callumsmum

callumsmum New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Well i knew a old lady once and she was in her 70s and took on a yorkshire terrier puppy she paid a lot for it and was robbed as the pedigree was handwritten and worthless.She was a very annoying woman as she kept feeding it maltesers and the puppy had a few fits the vet put it on a diet that was healthy and she still persisted in feeding it maltesers as she said it liked them grrrr then it died from the toxic from the chocolates it was eating..She had a mobility scooter so her puppy had his exercise sitting on the scooter ..and it was doing the toilet everywhere I must admit i was mortified at the time..She was very silly regarding the puppy..And i know a elderly man who has owned border collies all his life his died so he went and got a puppy with the understanding his daughter will take it should he die but its a bit much for him as he fell over it and ended up in hoispital with a broken hip..I have thought about what i will do when i am older as my dog will probably be my last but i shall do short term fostering as i feel i have a good home to offer even if its just a temporary refuge for some poor animal..I really dont think i shall take a dog on after i am 65 as i would hate to think i may die and the dog is left behind..Allthough you can join a scheme with the rspca where they will find your pet a home should you die..
  21. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie
    I think there is nothing wrong with it, ALONG as they are still very active and know how much exercise terriers need. Are willing to either put in the training themselves or take to a trainer.
    I think its important whatever age you are (but say if you dog lives to be 15/16 that 89 which sadly many people dont make it to that age, especially men) that you sort out what will happen to the dog when you are no longer there to take care of it, its very selfish to not make other arrangments or think that a dog would be bothered by its owners dying or no longer being able to take care of it.

I dont see why older people cant have young animals though, aslong as they still have the energy that is required. Saying that many young people with young animals also have children and dont get time to give their animals the exercise that they need. Really it is the individual.
    If it was upto me I think only 50% of the people i have known with animals look after them well and should actually be looking after them. The rest of them i wonder why they even got them as see them as a burden all the time and something to vent verbal abuse at.