What is the smartest dog breed? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by pitboy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. pitboy

pitboy New Member

Name:
    sahnsahn

What is the smartest dog breed?

was up dogsey i was wondering is the border collie the smartist dog ?and if it is what are the next five smartist?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    For me, the smartest dog is the gsd, which is probably the reason why the police force favours this breed (amongst others such as the malinois). I've never seen a collie at the end of a policeman's hand, and he would want a really *smart* partner wouldn't he;-) if he's going to do his job properly, so it's a good choice imo.

As for the next 5:017: , I'd still be inclined to go along with the sniffer type dogs, rescue dogs, that kind of thing, where spaniels are used extensively. Doesn't mean other dogs aren't as smart, but these dogs are probably a lot easier to train, are able to keep their mind on the job in hand, which would make them more intelligent than say, a poodle perhaps? Who knows lol!
  4. pitboy

pitboy New Member

Name:
    sahnsahn

hahahaha your rite people all ways tell me a poodal or a collie was the smartist ? i never thought of it in that way
  5. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    in my experience collies are the cleverest. followed by malinios, which is helped by their incredible work ethic, then GSD, Doberman and then probably poodles.
  6. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I have no authority to say what breeds are the smartest, but my personal view would be: Spaniels, Border Collie, Poodle and GSD. I don't have a fifth guess.

But surely a lot has got to be with the training. For instance Golden Retrievers are used as assistance dogs for the blind, but I wouldn't have said that the every day golden is necessarily naturally clever. (I adore Goldens incidentally and had one when growing up). For instance one of my TT's is incredibly bright/clever and picks training up really quickly but the other is really dopey and very clumsy ..... a little like a wood pigeon:005:
  7. pitboy

pitboy New Member

Name:
    sahnsahn
    hahahaha i had two old english bulldogs and when i trianed them supermen the older one got it quick but the younger one didint relly know what i was talking about he got soon thought (wooden spoon hahahahahaha)
  8. pitboy

pitboy New Member

Name:
    sahnsahn

thats what i tought to i gast here thire names all the time did u see the video of nena the smartist boreder collie ?
  9. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha

Then again their dogs also need a certain size/ intimidation/ physicality factor - plus presumably a good bond with the handler.

A more "intelligent" dog might decide "Blow that for a game of soldiers" & clear off. ;-)
  10. Malpeki

Malpeki New Member

Name:
    Alexandra
    I'm firmly convinced of it, that my dog is the smartest at all!!! :041:

as she is never doing, what I want of her :?

but isn't it true, that only idiots are always doing, what you want of them to do? :017: :042:
  11. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    A good few years ago Rolf Harris hosted a programme on TV to find the most intelligent breed. It might have been a series.

Weimaraner and Border Collie came out equal top, which surprised Rolf as he thought his poodle was more intelligent that his weim.

Just goes to show, you have to understand a weim to know just how clever they are as many are more intelligent than their owners and will outwit them
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    l
  12. Throwthestick

Throwthestick New Member

Name:
    Bea
    This is a very interesting thread!

I think it depends on what you consider "smart" - there are different kinds of "smart"

Border collies have a huge drive to well follow orders and work alongside people. So do quite a lot of the other dogs people have mentioned.

However I really prefer the brains of a more self thinking kind of dog. My Fila Brasileiro is *brilliant* - she knows more commands than I care to name (some of which she picked up accidentally)! but she frequently stops to think about what she is doing. She doesn't blindly follow orders and sometimes she is stubborner than any pig you will ever meet.

Then you get livestock guardian dogs like Great Pyrenees that were bred to work by themselves - or Afghan hounds that were bred to hunt on their own. They aren't dumb but they don't see any special need to listen to you either.

I often think that some people misinterpret "obedient" with "smart"

For instance our standard poodle Danica - she picks up obedience commands in seconds but she hasn't really got what one could call a brain!

Bea & Co
  13. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Loads of good points have been mentioned. But really were talking chalk and cheese here. As has been mentioned by other people. A German shepard probably wont make as good sheep dog as a border collie and vice versa.

One dog i'd like to see condsidered is the St Bernard. As they are one of the very best mountain rescue dogs.

The Blood Hound deserves a mention. In time gone by, they were used for sniffers, scent dogs by the police instead of Spaniels.
  14. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Don't have any serious knowledge but I did used to tell people that my old Cavalier KC Spaniel was the cleverest dog in the world as she was clever enough to get her own way with me for all of the 10 yrs I had her (mostly with just a 'look' from those CKCS eyes!)
  15. Shane

Shane New Member

Name:
    Shane
    1) Standard Poodle
    2) Border Collie
    3) German Shepherd
    4) Labrador
    5) Springer Spaniel

Most dogs are very capable of a high level of training but never receive such training