What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    I hear you on that one!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Winter has arrived, the a/c in my salon has packed up and it is bdooly cold. We had a longish power cut on Wednesday while the electric company were fixing a problem, and when it came back the a/c and my television had both packed up, so I am waiting for Oren to hopefully come and sort them out. I am not too bothered about the television as I only watch it once in a blue moon and they are so cheap these days, as are the small wall a/c units, but still...

... and this morning the freezer section of my f/f decided to join them. It stopped working and the kitchen floor flooded. Luckily I have a service/insurance contract for both that one and for ThreeBees, which means a maximum waiting time for a techie is five hours, guaranteed that day. Call out charge ~£25 and the only parts charged for are the glass shelves and the rubber gaskets if necessary. All other parts are not charged for.

I knew what it was, the techie was here less than an hour after I telephoned, and it took all of 15 minutes with a screwdriver to remove the base tray of the freezer and some hot water to free a small piece of ice that had blocked an outlet to fix it. And as all the meat I had frozen in ThreeBees had been packed in Pereg's freezer I had the two fast-freeze sections in ThreeBees in which to pack everything that had been in the non-working section of the f/f once I realised it had packed up.

Yes the f/f is far from new, the yearly cost of the service contract is quite high and I could have replaced the f/f probably twice since then for what I pay, but [a] they are not made to this quality any more, and it would have cost a heck of a lot more for the call out and I would have had to wait anywhere up to five days for a techie. So I am quite satisfied with my monthly payment for the contract.

And Tikva had another man to climb all over, much to her delight! :D

I think I should change her name to...

[​IMG]
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    First time in 8 years we have had a drop of snow.
    IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0667.JPG
  5. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Awwe beautiful GSD Vee!:) first time in a week we finally get to see sun here in western PA U.S! We had rain here all week last week & now for the past 3 days we've had sun! :D its so nice to see green buds popping out of my hydrangea & the pussy willow tree has fuzzy buds popping out too! I love spring!:007: I always think its so neat to hear what the weather is like around the world!:)
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Snow and palm trees. They don't seem to go together do they? Heiko seems to be enjoying it though.
    We have about the same amount of snow, and it is very cold with intermittent high winds. The dogs have had to settle for a 15 minute tour of the overgrown graveyard today, and I have excused myself from (unheated) training tonight.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Much as I love to see snow in the gardens of other people's homes - I can just about cope with the rain when we get it [and oh how we need it], but I dread to think what the mini booga would think of snow.

Way back in another life when it snowed - and when I opened the kitchen door to let the Griffs out, the snow fell in and blocked everywhere. Fine, get a shovel and clear a bit so they could get out.

Only the shovel was in the shed and the snow had caused the shed to collapse.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And years earlier when Father climbed on the coal bunker to walk on the top of the fence...

...and ended up face down in the snow.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Luckily this far down we don’t normally get snow here, but lots and lots of rain and wind
    I often dream of living in a warm country but I would miss the changing seasons

The Cornish Snowman
    3C18C50700000578-4116422-image-a-21_1484301102793.jpg bb.jpg
  10. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    GsdSlave likes this.
    When I lived in Cornwall, I didn't see snow for I don't know how long?
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    We've got about 5"-6" down. It's kept stopping then a blizzard for half an hour or so on and off all day. Looking at video footage of the roads, they have never cleared and are treacherous. I just hope we're past the worst of it, but the weather forecasts don't look good. Beast from the East is a good description and, of course we are on the east coast so <sigh>.

We are hibernating until it all goes away. It took me all day to persuade Rosie that the garden was safe, then, when she decided it was, she has done zoomies and playing with her toys out there so she has burnt off some energy.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    OK - I promise never to complain about the long hot summers again.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is not looking good with red warnings for the South West as well as the Scottish Borders. There are heavy snow warnings for Lincolnshire too.Two obedience shows have cancelled this weekend, in NE and one NW England. I'm still hoping to make it to a breed club show near Worcester this weekend, but definitely won't be taking any chances. The cars are so iced up, it feels like an expedition planning a visit to Tesco this afternoon.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    So far we haven't had snow today, but the forcast gives blizzards starting later, we cannot get out of the village as side roads are treacherous .
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    We're more or less blocked in. The major roads are littered with abandoned cars and the big council snow clearing wagons can't get through. The local farmers are trying their best to help out. To top it all, we have more damned snow forecast and we've had a flood alert this morning. Why they bothered alerting is anybody's guess as we'd need a snow board to get out.

Can you believe that the caravanners are all moaning because their sites aren't opening as planned tomorrow? Yep, the idiots were still planning on coming
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    PLEASE be careful and to not take any chances trying to get to the show near Worcester.

Take care Carole and please do not even think of taking chances.

We want you and the Beags, not you in a squished up skidded car.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Merry's ever active tail drops every time I open the door. This is the first day that she has signalled that she does not want to go for a walk, - thank goodness!
    I'm sure we coped better than this when we were younger, I can remember delivering frozen meat to rural locations, and passing through the shape the previous car had cut through the snowdrift. Not able to use the heater in case it thawed the product. (I needed the money, a great motivator!). Also, walking two miles with half a bale of hay on my back - then home again. After getting a lift half way, Chas once walked the last seven miles to get home from work - the last mile was over fields and through a snowdrift! He was absolutely exhausted when he arrived.
    I can't be alone in this, so let's have some of your snow memories. Most of us are old enough to have more sense now, so please stay warm and do take care everyone.
  18. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    CaroleC likes this.
    Ooh you certainly are not alone with crazy snow stories!:D is it common for you guys in the UK to get snow? Im definitely not complaining about the weather here in the US but I do find it a bit unusual from what I can remember growing up. Lol gosh I remember my husband had an 87 Iroc Z28 (Chevy) camaro & getting around in the winter weather in that thing was always exciting!:D it was before we got married & we had rented a trailer out in the country. He had to go to work & of course the roads were bad. Hes carefully driving up this untreated hill & here comes a pick up truck & ran him off the road & into a ditch!:eek: he got the car out tho! Lol another time his brother had a 77 Pontiac firebird formula & he left our trailer at night to go home...next thing u know we get a call. Hey I'm in the ditch! Lol so he wasn't too far so me & hubs & his other younger brother (hubs is the oldest of 5 kids in his family) walked to help him out. Thankfully a township salt truck was out treating the roads & hooked the car up & pulled him out! Thank God for that!:D yeah us youngsters didn't exactly pick the best first vehicle to drive around! :043: lol i could go on & on!:D
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    More cancelled shows.
    Welsh Junior of the Year Competition.
    Cavalier KCS Club Championship Show.
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I grew up in a remote country cottage in Scotland where heavy snow was the norm, the cottage was damp and draughty, had no electricity and an outside toilet. I remember tramping through snow with only a torch in the depths of winter, wearing wellies and a coat over my nightie and sitting on the toilet, in the dark, with an icy wind blowing through the cracks in the door.

I also remember walking two miles to school on a rough track ,was hard to see where the track was due to snowdrifts, with snow nearly reaching my waist ,as it went over top of my wellies I can still remember how wet and cold my feet used to get.
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Southern Dachshund Club Championship Show, 03.03 18, Slough. Now cancelled.

Had to shop at Lidl today. Power cut in the village!