What makes a dog a mongrel/mutt? Photos

Discussion in 'Mongrel Forum' started by dogdays, Nov 6, 2014.

1. dogdays

dogdays New Member

Name:
    Tom
    Azz likes this.

What makes a dog a mongrel/mutt?

How many breeds have to be mixed before they can be called mutts/ Bit'zas?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How long is a piece of string?

Mutts are what we had and knew when we were children.

Rich people had "Pedigree" dogs. All other people had mutts.

And I have the best mutt in the world - because I say so [and so does she!] :D
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    We always used to say mongrel and I still do.

People tend to say mixed or cross now, as if mongrel is an insult. Don't know why - I love mongrels. Full of surprises - you never know what you're getting!
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Jcarpentier likes this.
    Any dog that as been cross bred is a Mongrel, Mutt,Cur including Designer breeds.
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    But when I was growing up, if someone said a dog was a cross breed, it would mean a first cross between two different breeds. A Heinz 57 was always referred to as a mongrel. And that's what most of the dogs we used to see round and about were. Ah, memories come flooding back of all the dogs I knew when I was a little girl. Only the posh dogs were taken for walks - all the others were let out in the morning and returned home at tea time.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And do you remember all the white chalk?
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    More than two.

2 different breeds crossed together are crossbreeds. Anything more than it's a mongrel :)
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Ah yes - all those bones!
  10. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    As far as I have been told. Any mix of any amount of breeds is a mutt. A mongrel is when you don't know the parentage.
  11. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I Love the expression "Heinz 57", hey they say our beloved mutts are healthier than them purebreeds anyways...
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The problem with mutts is that they can carry health problems from who-know-what breed that is in their background, so they are not necessarily healthier than purebreeds.

It all depends what is in their genes, hence my beloved mutt being epileptic. Presumably it came from a dog somewhere in her background but as she is of unknown origin, we will never know.
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Some Predigree dogs are now out living mutts, I had a GSD that was 18 years old before she died, whereas my Collie Cross Labrador only lived until she was 5 years old & my Collie x Afghan was 7 years when he died, my Rottweiler's have all been between 12-14 years old & my Doberman's around 15 years old.
    My dogs I got now JRT's can live 20 plus years old.
    Cross breeds use to be healthier but not anymore, they are having more & more health problems, specially the so called "designer" breeds, the Labradoodles have eye, hip problems & there are a lot being born blind too.
  14. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Something I have considered as well is that Callie may well have been carefully bred to be who he is. As far as the heading American Bull Dog he might well have been bred to be a "sporting dog". We live surrounded by urban sprawl and dog fighting is a lucrative business in some neighborhoods.

Sophie was obviously traumatized and left as a stray. She is probably a boxer, GSD, boxer mix. But she was found on the street filthy and bone skinny. She is neurotic and has always been fearful of most people. She gnaws herself constantly n' even with no health issues she's a basket case.

Callie on the other paw was quite possibly a runaway by his own accord. The township picked him up wandering down a highway. Except for some minor skin irritation he was a very healthy guy. Someone obviously fed him well and trained his behavior carefully when he was a pup. They took the time to dock his tail, fortunate they didn't get to his ears. But perhaps Callie is more "purebred" than one would assume.

And because of that he is clumsy to the point of being disabled at times. A prize fighting dog's build would be massive chest, head and shoulders. The fact that their often small back legs have the impossible job of transporting such unequal weight creates orthopedic nightmares. And there are even bigger bullies being created:(.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  15. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    A prize fighting dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier which has a small-ish chest and shoulders and not a big head either, they are small slender athletes. The American Bullies are bred for the big head, chest and shoulders but were never used as fighting dogs, they are all for show.

An APBT needs a strong powerful back end too to drive into the bite and also also comes in handy when they are being rolled in the pit

A true APBT
    [​IMG]
  16. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila