Whats a good collar for a gun dog General Chat

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by Shangri-La, May 16, 2012.

1. Shangri-La

Shangri-La New Member

Name:
    Wendy

Whats a good collar for a gun dog

hi we are going on a dog holiday run by Philippa Williams
    the gun dog trainer that was at crufts...
    it for a weeks active holiday along with all kinds of training
    so i would like to get a collar for Bob (cocker)
    any one got any ideas
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Flat leather one and take a rope slip lead too.
  4. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    My spaniels never wear a collar when working or in training. If you have to put a collar on your dog make sure it is fitted properly. The last thing you want is for your dog to get caught up by its collar when hunting dense cover.
    Hope you'll enjoy your holiday.
  5. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    The risk of working dogs getting caught up by their collar is recognise in the list of exemptions in the Control of Dogs Act 1992 requirement for all dogs to wear a collar and ID tag in a public place which include :

"(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not apply to—

(a)any pack of hounds,
    (b)any dog while being used for sporting purposes,
    (c)any dog while being used for the capture or destruction of vermin,
    (d)any dog while being used for the driving or tending of cattle or sheep,
    (e)any dog while being used on official duties by a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces or Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise or the police force for any area,
    (f)any dog while being used in emergency rescue work, or
    (g)any dog registered with the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association."

When dogs are pushing through cover, or go to ground in the case of terriers, tree roots among other things can (sometimes fatally) catch on collars.

Less of an issue on an open flat grouse moor than if shooting pheasants in heavily wooded areas.

It can also be a risk of dogs working in water drowning if their collars catch, with water levels sometimes affecting whether hazards can be seen or not.

If you choose to have collar do not use a slip collar (a slip lead is fine as you would be holding it) so these have to be looser to slip over the dog's head and so can catch more easily, and pull tight and can choke the dog to death in a very short time if they do catch.

Personally I would avoid leather, unless you are prepared to look after it, as leather collars suffer in the wet and can get stiff and cracked.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  6. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    i use Rogz collars on my lot when they need to wear collars , the key thing is making sure they fit properly, i have lost 1 collar in 7 years, but numerous tags until i moved to indigo tags
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    This is a holiday where many activities will be undertaken and legal compliance is required if they are taking place on public land, thus a collar with a compliant tag is required.

The dogs are not going to be working on game etc! ;)

Also, if a dog is not trained properly, a collar is kinder and safer than a gundog slip lead.

What material it is made from is immaterial, and down to personal preference