when do herding dogs stop being 'all teeth'? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Hungarian Puli' started by Sarah M, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Sarah M

Sarah M New Member

Name:
    Sarah

when do herding dogs stop being 'all teeth'?

My question is , when do herding dogs stop being 'all teeth'. I have a Puli and he, although only a baby, tries to round everyone up, not in vicious way might I add, but he ties to get holkd of trouser legs, skirts ect and nine times out of ten misses and get ankles instead.
    In respnse to another thread, what about red instead of green?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help.
    It sounds really cute, I had to laugh (sorry about your ankles!) :lol:
    I know it won't be so cute if it carries on when he gets big though and must be quite annoying.

Good luck :grin:
  4. Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest New Member

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    When Kali (BC) was a pup, he went through much the same thing - Mrs S used to wear these thin nylon trousers which providied no resistance to collie needles - her leg nearly went septic :shock:

He stopped when his puppy teeth started to fall out. He still likes to round things up, though - even birds. I don't think the "herding" idea ever leaves :shock:

Snorri
    :lol:
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Both my pupsters went through this - I have a GSD and a BC - and I think it is actually more of a "puppy" thing than a "herding" thing, although breeds from the pastoral group may be more inclined to carry it on through to adulthood - which is something you most definitely don't want! :shock:

Every time your pup tries to nip you, make a loud "ouch" or "yelp" noise and act REALLY hurt, and then turn your back on the pup and ignore him, even if he tries to get your attention, for a few minutes, then resume play. Puppies usually learn bite inhibition and how hard they can nip (and get away with it) while still with their mum and littermates. If a pup bites a littermate too hard, the other pup will yelp and refuse to play with the biter until he/she has learned not to bite too hard. Obviously with soft human skin it doesn't take much for those needle sharp teeth to hurt. It won't be an immediate cure for the nipping, but over time (and crucially, before he is an adult) he should have learned not to use his mouth on you :) Good luck!

Any pics of your pup?
  6. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    The nipping will stop but the herding instinct won't. Cassie tries to herd everything from flocks of birds to cars:roll: As previously said, every time you get nipped, shout ouch and I'm sure it will stop eventually, you just have to persevere:grin:
  7. Gems

Gems New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    I have a BC and luckily he has never tried to round us up and nip at ankles, moobli have given some good advice re curbing this behaviour ! :)
  8. gordon lover

gordon lover New Member

Name:
    kate
    Never does :lol: Well not that I've noticed........ :roll:

With breeds like ours (more cattle driving instead of sheep herding) it's generally more of a full mouth bite on the heel and never let go!! And in this type of breed I'd personally say it never truly leave the dog. Tam used to be a terror until he hit 15 months then it calmed down, but he still will grab my pants now and again when he gets excited for instance if I'm not moving fast enough through a door :roll: , when I get my coat and boots on, and naturally in the middle of an agility run and I've stopped as he missed something (thats translated as START RUNNING AGAIN!!! :lol: ). He'll also shove and push you in the direction he wants.........

Something I'd suggest, when he starts grabbing your pants stand still. Don't say anything or jump or yelp (Tam would just get more excited if we'd do that, but if he nips YOU then by all means yelp :grin: ), just stand still and as soon as pup lets go it's "good baby" and walk on. That way the pup learns that nipping doesn't get him anywhere. :) After about 10 days of this Tam kinda got the idea :grin: Even now when he gets bitey all you have to do is stop and he lets go.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005