'White' added to the mini schnauzer standard? Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by border pop, Jan 27, 2011.

1. katandcolin

katandcolin New Member

Name:
    Kat
    I love pepper!! from how u describe her she is full of character...more important than breed standard in my humble opinion :lol: xxxx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. jennysmum

jennysmum New Member

Name:
    Vik
    I think white would be genetically only in the mini as standards were originally crossed with other breeds to reduce their size therefore all minis are crosees of a sort :)
  4. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    Some of the original colours found in Mini Schnauzers were "yellow" and black and tan - but these colus must not have been in favou when the beed standad was drawn up.

When I got Leo, his breeders had just impoted a white Mini (from Spain I think). She was nice, but I could have 2-3 Westies fo the same price:grin:

Looking at the Mini Schnauzes on show at Westminster, how many would have fitted the UK standad's desciption of coat:
    Harsh, wiry and short enough for smartness, dense undercoat. Clean on neck and shoulders, ears and skull. Harsh hair on legs. Furnishings fairly thick but not silky.
  5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    No.
    The gene which will be producing these whites is entirely different to the gene/s which are associated with deafness.

It is probably the same gene which gives "white" in West Highlands and Sealyhams.

Deafness occurs when the white is connected to a white pattern/spotting/piebald gene, as in the case of White Boxers and other "high white" marked breeds like Border Collies.
  6. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Thanks for explaining that, interesting to learn this.
  7. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I love Dogsey!I LEARN so much on here. I like these white minis,I have a huge soft spot for white dogs - just too lazy to keep one I guess.
    Good point about the standard for the coat.I'll be curious to know what the judges make of them.
    Fascinating about the genetics of deafness too.I'd imagined it was linked to albinoism.Wrong again Charlie!Glad I didn't spout off to anyone about that guess.
    I wonder if that's the link to sensitivity to Ivormectin too.
    Back in the days before Advocate that was what we had to use to fix sarcoptic mange but it couldn't be used on piebald gene dogs.A lot of the greyhound boys still use it - it's cheaper - but never on black and white dogs.
  8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    The sensitivity is caused by a gene called MDR1 which is only found in certain breeds - and doesn't appear to be linked to a piebald pattern. I think it's just co-incidence that the breeds most susceptible to it have white patterning.

Apparently GSDs can also be affected.
    http://www.ashgi.org/articles/mdr1.htm
  9. Schnuggle

Schnuggle New Member

Name:
    AG
    Azz likes this.
    Hi everyone I'm new here. I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add a bit to it

Peter V Westerburg, black mini, was one of the 3 main sires of the modern day mini around 1902. The white can be dated back to a mating of Peter V Westerburg to an unknown colour bitch. The litter had one Gelb (yellow) puppy, The first white.

The pepper and salt are also thought to have appeared at around the same time. Both colours appear naturally. Whites appeared in Poland from B&S, in USA and Czech from P&S, and Germany from blacks.

The white gene is double recessive which means white x white will always give white pups, but blacks, P&S, B&S can also carry the white gene which is why a white can pop up in any litter if there has been a white in the bloodlines.

The whites dont have any of the associated health problems of some whites in breeds as mentioned before.

In case you haven't guessed I have a white mini. He is hand stripped and have been told by groomers that he has a correct harsh coat. The wire isn't white it is a wheaten colour. Quite often the darker the wheaten colour the harsher the wire. His furnishings are not of the fluffy flamboyant type you see with some minis but more wirey which is closer to the breed type. I dont show but I have heard the judges aren't quite sure what to make of them in the show ring.

I too worry that they will become a money maker for puppy farms. I see loads of adverts saying rare. We didnt really choose a specific colour it just happened location, right breeder and timing = white puppy.
    The response I get when people see him is quite often
    "Oh hes gorgeous. I didn't realise they come in that colour. The ones I've seen have been boring grey colour"
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    Welcome to the forum from another Miniature Schnauzer owner! I have a black male called Gwylim who'll be 1 year old in a few days time. He was bred by Robert Szabo the leading Miniature Schnauzer breeder in Hungary. Although I bought him as a companion dog for Georgina, my 16 month old Shar-Pei, I have been told he's show quality. He's such a loving little man, full of confidence and more than capable of coping with a "big sister" who's rather anxious by nature - she thinks the world of him! There are quite a few white mini schnauzers in the UK, if their breed forum is anything to go by. Are you a member?

We'd all love to see photo's of your boy and learn more about him.

This is Gwylim at 9 months old.
    SAM_0914.JPG
  11. Schnuggle

Schnuggle New Member

Name:
    AG
    He's gorgeous