Whoop! Whoop! New puppy alert!!!! (Malinois) General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by maxine, Jul 8, 2012.

1. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    She is such a clever and eager puppy. You must be over the moon with her Maxine :-D Is hubby as smitten as you? :)
  4. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    She's amazing, I just hope I can do her justice. My OH loves her because she's so cute and friendly but he doesn't do any training with her, or walk her so he misses the best bits. He probably gets bored with me going on about her!
  5. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Tia is coming along very well. We passed our KC Good Citizen Bronze Award on Wednesday at the WT club we go to. We only found out about it the week before so didn't have much time to prepare. Tia did really well because for the recall I was required to put her in a stay and walk quite a long way away from her and then recall her. Most of our long stays so far have just been with me 10-20 feet away and then me going back to her. I was expecting the judge to hang onto her whilst I walked away...but I was wrong. Anyway she was brilliant and didn't move until I called her. She did cheat a bit by licking the judge's face at the end when she made a fuss of her!
  6. Sowa's Ark

Sowa's Ark New Member

Name:
    Darlene
  7. Sowa's Ark

Sowa's Ark New Member

Name:
    Darlene
    Actually it is. I got mine from two Belgian parents. 2 pups were Malinois and 2 were Tervurens.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Strange. There are four different types of Belgian Shepherd dogs having been identified by various registries as separate breeds or varieties. Groendendael, Laekenois, Tervuren and Malinois.

It is not known that puppies from one litter have two of one type and two of a different.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Ok I got curious as it seems quite complicated, this was on another forum hence I didn’t put link) it seems that’
    In the places where it is viewed as 4 variants of the same breed.....
    If a pair of short coated fawn types (malinois) are bred and a long haired type appears it is registered as a Tervuren type. Similarly if two Tervuren give birth to a short haired it is called a Malinois. The long haired brown dog is viewed as best when it is not pale fawn like it's short haired kin, but when it has a darker brown (mahogany) to black overlay. This encourages crossing with the solid back type, the Groenendael. If the pups are solid black they are considered Groenendael, and if they are brownish they are Tervuren. So you can have what in the USA would be seen as separate breeds in the same litter of pups.

Similar info here
    http://www.intentionhill.com/aboutbelgians.htm

Note: As of November 2009, the UK Kennel Club is once again allowing limited intervariety matings between the Groenendael and Terveuren, but these have to be pre-approved by the UK Kennel Club , who will assess each case on it's merits and they would also consult the various UK breed clubs to see if the proposed matings are supported by them. The offspring of such mating would be registered by their breed type (i.e. Groenendael or Terveuren) and would have to be bred back to the relevant breed for 3 generations.http://www.nightsabre.co.uk/groenendaels.html
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No you cannot. The UK KC still does not accept intervariaties breeding. There

Similar info here

Note: As of November 2009, the UK Kennel Club is once again allowing limited intervariety matings between the Groenendael and Terveuren, but these have to be pre-approved by the UK Kennel Club , who will assess each case on it's merits and they would also consult the various UK breed clubs to see if the proposed matings are supported by them. The offspring of such mating would be registered by their breed type (i.e. Groenendael or Terveuren) and would have to be bred back to the relevant breed for 3 generations.http://www.nightsabre.co.uk/groenendaels.html[/QUOTE]
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No you cannot. The UK KC still does not accept intervariaties breeding. There

Similar info here

Note: As of November 2009, the UK Kennel Club is once again allowing limited intervariety matings between the Groenendael and Terveuren, but these have to be pre-approved by the UK Kennel Club , who will assess each case on it's merits and they would also consult the various UK breed clubs to see if the proposed matings are supported by them. The offspring of such mating would be registered by their breed type (i.e. Groenendael or Terveuren) and would have to be bred back to the relevant breed for 3 generations.http://www.nightsabre.co.uk/groenendaels.html[/QUOTE]
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not wish to post any more of the information that I have about BSDs although I do know a lot on the subject. Therefore those who think that Groendendael, Laekenois, Tervuren and Malinois.are the same breed, and that you can mate two types and get different types from a mating of two identical types, are welcome to their opinions.

I guess it is like the result of a mating an elephant and a giraffe because they both have four legs.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I stand to be corrected and would be interested in reading your articles to prove otherwise.
    In Belgium (the country of origin) all four types are considered to be varieties of a single breed, differentiated by hair colour and texture. In some non-FCI countries and other regions, they are considered separate breeds.

In countrys where cross-matings are allowed then yes you would get siblings of two varieties.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    @GsdSlave That is the situation as I understood it, and is probably more clearly expressed than my first post on the topic, (different thread, but same topic).
    According to this theory @Sowa's Ark is quite correct in saying that she is able to have an AKC registered Tervuren from Malinois parents, and with Malinois siblings.

I am always ready to learn something new about pedigree dogs though, and if there is a genetic expert out there who can assist - then please could they step forward?
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    As these are breeds that I am not familiar with I can't say one way or other if you can have 2 separate breeds from one bitch.
    But I am guessing that they are some what similar to the basics of the Springer /Cocker Spaniels coming from same bitch -the larger pups were sold as Springers & the smaller pups were sold as Cockers, which are now recognize & registered as 2 separate breeds.
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Sorry malka but you have it wrong...the BSD is one breed but 4 varieties....But they ARE ONE BREED not 4 different breeds, and as been said you can register pups from a litter depending on coat type as either or.
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    And me, as been explained to me by a breeder/ exhibitor, you have to remember that it is one breed types are only defined by coat/colour , if you shaved them Dow they should ALL resemble the same prototype , you can also breed types to getter and the resulting pups will be registered in a variety depending on coat/ colour type. All information is there website.

There are breeds that are defined as two different breeds the viszla for example, the wire haired and smooth , you can not put both of these together as it is classed as xbreed, and I'd you shaved both off, they look different the wire is a larger heavier dog to the smooth, no so with the BSD without coat they would look the same.
  18. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    @Jackie the Viszla, Fox Terriers etc being similar to the different types of Poodles, as each different size of Poodle as to judged separately.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sure.

[​IMG]
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Not sure what your point is ?
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You said that that a BSD without coat they would look the same.

Well that is a picture of one Mali and three Tervs - the photograph taken by someone I knew.

Shave the coats off all of them and then tell me they would look the same. The three Tervs would look the same but no way would the Mali look like a shaved Terv if they were all without coats.