Why do I always go back to the Chihuahua? Discussions

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by Jcarpentier, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Azz and 6JRT's like this.

Why do I always go back to the Chihuahua?

We are looking to expand our canine family soon and I have been considering getting a Chihuahua or a Chihuahua mix. Not sure about this because I have not owned such a small dog and have read horror stories about hypoglycemia and such. I also have a soon to be 5 year old daughter, and hesitate to get such a small dog with her. She is not overly boisterous and is pretty well behaved but she still is almost 5. That said, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts? There is something that is attracting me to these little cuties though I am wary. Thanks!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I think a pug, Staffie or Frenchie/Boston would be better for you as Chihuahua's can be snappy round young children
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I have a nine month old Chihuahua, Chico, and all I can say is I wish I'd got one years ago!

After I'd reserved him, I was having doubts about having such a tiny dog, and was convinced I'd be having to take extra care of him and be very careful to make sure the others (Standard Poodle and Cocker Spaniel) didn't hurt him. I needn't have worried - he's like a miniature Pit Bull, and if there is a tug of war over a toy, he always wins.

I worried myself sick about hypogycemia, and even went to the vet before I got him asking if they stocked a product (can't remember what it's called) which you give them if they show symptoms, but they told me not to worry. The breeder gave me a bottle of runny honey in case it was needed, but he's never had any problems.

The important thing is to treat any Chihuahua like a dog and choose your breeder with care, not one who tries to produce the tiniest puppies they can. There is a breeder near here who doesn't use pens or cages and says the puppies are 'raised underfoot' which sounds good!

Difficult to say whether one would be suitable for a little girl. I think my son (who is now in his thirties!) would have been perfectly trustworthy with a tiny dog, but I did foster other children and I certainly wouldn't have trusted some of them to be gentle enough. Perhaps if you could ring some breeders and see what they have to say.

They really are unique little dogs.
  5. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for the reply. I am sure going to do more research and keep my eyes open for the perfect fur baby! Thanks again!
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Before I had Gwylim I had a 9 pound Tibetan Spaniel who although she liked to play with young children, didn't like to be picked up by one. The problem I found was because she was small and fluffy every small child wanted to pick her up and treat her like a cuddly toy.

I now have a 18 pound Miniature Schnauzer who adores children. I've watched him with his breeder's 7 year old daughter whom he allows to lug around in the most undignified manner and it doesn't seem to bother him at all judging by the way he's always ready for more!
  7. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    As a retired Chihuahua breeder I can tell you that they are unique in some ways the same as every breed has unique qualities. Personally I have never had a mean or snappy Chihuahua come from one of my litters. But I also rescue the same today as I always have and there are times I come across those that are mean and snappy. Most of the time these behaviors are largely the result of some kind of abuse and/or neglect. I've always been able to train it out of them by first gaining their trust and then teaching the correct behavior. There are also times when bad traits are the result of bad breeding practices. That is a lot harder to deal with. Keep in mind, too, that a 3 lb. Chihuahua may not be a good choice around small children only because no matter how gentle your child may be accidents do happen. Mine range from 3 to 12 pounds. 12 pounds is large for a chi with 6 being about the norm. Mine all readily accept almost anyone who is gentle with them. None are really crazy about much larger dogs, because they have typical little dog syndrome and want to prove that big does not make you the boss. They are a hardy breed often living to 15 to 18 yrs. old.
  8. Dalmatianchloe

Dalmatianchloe New Member

Name:
    Sharon Townsend
    they are lovely little dogs but they are not keen on young children I have a 14 year old daughter and Ebony belongs to her so they can get on with young children but they seem to know their own vulnerability and the british Chihuahua club recommends they do not share homes with children younger than 12
  9. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yeah...I actually have thought about this and am not going to get one until my daughter is much older. Thanks for the advice! Even though she is respectful of animals I wouldn't want to put the dog under needless stress. That said, we are still looking for our next fur baby!
  10. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Few owners in my family. Some can have issues but I don't think that is proper behavior. As those in my family have been great all around they are basically bad warmers and don't snap at the small children.
  11. Dalmatianchloe

Name:
    Sharon Townsend
    Lots of Chihuahuas can get on with young children my Chihuahua doesn't snap at them she is just very scared but she does love older children who approach her kindly and let her sniff them first If your young child is sensible then it could work out I recommend speaking to a breeder to see what they think xx
  12. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    That's what I think too. It depends on the child and dog. I've seen some scared, even a couple scared of older kids adults. Those were on the timid side at first of meeting people. Others I've seen not so scared and the ones in my family have been with small kids so they are great. I used to always think them yappy snappy dogs before.
  13. Dalmatianchloe

Name:
    Sharon Townsend
    I used to think that as well until my daughter crazed me for one!! but it does depend on the individual I think as long as it brought up from puppyhood to be around children their less likely to snap or become timid
  14. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    For sure. Socialization and breeding cam be important. Then like you said the child. Both my boys were easier on the dogs. When my oldest was 3 my mom's Chi would sit with him and also nap with him. My other son was around her since a baby and they were fine together, she didn't mind being around him at all and he was more gentle with her. My daughter totally different story, she has to be watched with small dogs and pups. She is learning and being taught properly but she still has tendency to grab their skin, want to carry them around or pull them around. My mom's dog hasn't ever snapped and she's never hurt the dog it is just she's such a small dog you have to make sure to keep an eye.
  15. Dalmatianchloe

Name:
    Sharon Townsend
    socialization is important for sure it was very hard to socialize our chi as we live in a village with only a few houses and shops but she has learnt to get along with children as long as they don't pick her up or pull her about I think as long as introductions are monitored by the parents then they should get along well with kids there's a Chihuahua called pip in the village and he is child obsessed he goes running over licking them and jumping about wagging his tail simply because his owner has seven children! I don't think that anyone should be put off them just because they have a young child if they like the breed then go for it! but just keep an eye on things to make sure that child and dog are safe and happy