why does jack Russell get involved in disciplining beagle Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Laura10, May 7, 2017.

1. Laura10

Laura10 New Member

Name:
    Laura

why does jack Russell get involved in disciplining beagle

Hi all, I've just joined today and it's great to have this space to get some questions answered.

We have a jack Russell (mini one as it happens) and a beagle. Both females, both neutered and both about 8 years old. Beagle was here for two years first.

My query is that our jack Russell barks incessantly into beagles face when myself or husband come into the room, or when it's bedtime for them and hubby gets up to take them to their beds. She will continue barking until she has ushered beagle out of the room - and growls when she gets to the door!

Also she gets involved if there is the slightest chance that beagle may have 'misbehaved' eg, sitting on 'my' chair, not returning quickly enough on a walk etc. Neither of these things warrants any discipline from us; beagle always moves off chair
    with minimal instruction from me, and always returns without any bother on a walk -despite getting barked and growled at by jack Russell when she does.

It's like jack is instructing and telling the beagle off. Its noisy, can go on a bit as lovely beagle is so laid back, and did I mention noisy?!

What is Jack's Motivation? And any tips for us in handling it? All that works for an immediate cessation of the barking is my 'shouting' stop as loudly as she is barking.
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think it is because she is looking for every opportunity to be a bossy madam. There are two rehomed Beags here, a bolder guardy boy, and his less confident female deputy. However, if I bring them inside because they are being too noisy, she just has to have a nag at him too. It's as if she switches from being his support act, to being mine.
    All you - and I - can do is put a hand in her collar and say NO, CALM, in a low, calm voice. When she responds by becoming quiet and calm, instantly reward her, (and the good Beagle too), with a small but tasty treat. Make sure you always have a couple on your person, so she doesn't have time to forget the reason why she is being rewarded. Shouting can lead to the situation becoming worse - it feeds the excitability. She - your girl and mine - needs to understand that it is not her responsibility to control either the situation, or the other dog. That is your role, and you do not need her assistance.
    Good luck.
  4. Laura10

Laura10 New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Thanks for that. Certainly she seems to dislike poor beagle at all times anyway, though they live together comfortably enough. I'll do the calm, hand on collar no as opposed to 'NO'! In more strident voice.
  5. jacks4nik

jacks4nik New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    Hi. I have had Jack Russells for about 25 years. I've bred them,reared them and they have been my best friends for a lot of my life. There is no such thing as a mini Jack Russell. But you can get Jack Russells that have been bred for shorter legs which is not the breed standard. Anyway getting back on track Jack Russells are leaders and will challenge anything that gets in the way or threatens their leadership. They are highly driven and will fight to the death to be the pack leader. Beagles on the other hand are very stubborn so with the two of them together it's going to be a very long fight between power and leadership against stubborn mindedness and in their minds an incredible will of doing their own thing. I think your first step is understanding what is happening between your two dogs. I hope this helps you to get to this point . Let's see if we can solve this together.
  6. jacks4nik

jacks4nik New Member

Name:
    Nicky
  7. jacks4nik

jacks4nik New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    Also Laura I just have a quick question. Do you believe you are the leader of your dogs. Do your dogs see you as the leader?